Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times

Advertisements

Do you mean the days when the woman had to wash, feed and groom the horse everyday and work in the fields picking cotton, while the husband went out and killed cattle all day and tended to the farm from 4 in the morning? The days when there were no food stores or Macys to go get clothing and you had to wait for the guy with the goods to come to town every six months , so you could buy the cloth to make your own dresses and buy your food from him and cook it and if something was missing (spices), you went without because the man wouldn't be back till next 6 months again. The days when you had to get your water from a well and the women were not allowed in bars unless you were a *****. There was no air conditioning and the only warmth you had in winter was from the fireplace your grandmother made, cus grandpa died a long time ago from a curable disease but nobody knew the cure then?

Nah, I'll pass. I would like to have a ranch someday, but with all the modern ammenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 PM

300 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
in the 50s and 60s, in some ways more so than now. I also lived the optimism and having something to look forward to instead of having something in the future to dread!
Well, 50s, can't vouch much for those, but 60s?? Like hiring a contractor to dig you a personal A-bomb shelter in your backyard with Mr Kruschev banging his shoe on the podium screaming "We'll bury you?" Cuban Crisis? Vietnam war?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM

300 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Do you mean the days when the woman had to wash, feed and groom the horse everyday and work in the fields picking cotton, while the husband went out and killed cattle all day and tended to the farm from 4 in the morning? The days when there were no food stores or Macys to go get clothing and you had to wait for the guy with the goods to come to town every six months , so you could buy the cloth to make your own dresses and buy your food from him and cook it and if something was missing (spices), you went without because the man wouldn't be back till next 6 months again. The days when you had to get your water from a well and the women were not allowed in bars unless you were a *****. There was no air conditioning and the only warmth you had in winter was from the fireplace your grandmother made, cus grandpa died a long time ago from a curable disease but nobody knew the cure then?

Nah, I'll pass. I would like to have a ranch someday, but with all the modern ammenities.
and last but not least, colored kids - to the right, uncolored (white) - to the left. "Good monin, mista!" - "Hi, n****r!" Oh, come on...

Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
Well, 50s, can't vouch much for those, but 60s?? Like hiring a contractor to dig you a personal A-bomb shelter in your backyard with Mr Kruschev banging his shoe on the podium screaming "We'll bury you?" Cuban Crisis? Vietnam war?
True, true...it seems for every decade since then the media has been trying to tell us it's the end of the world. Watching the news you'd think you're living in some sort of violent hell. Suffering is present in lots of the world but sometimes I think we let it define things too much so we think it's so bad we throw our arms in the air and say 'screw it, it's too hard to change!'

Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM

249 posts, read 473,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post

LMAO You know I love toilet tissue.... it is so soft.. didnt they use leaves and out houses then......

Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM

159 posts, read 577,069 times
Yikes, I forgot to subscribe to this thread. I'm still finding my way around this forum... How do you use the multiple quote thingy? Anyway, let me read the replies here, and then I'll be back.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
LMAO You know I love toilet tissue.... it is so soft.. didnt they use leaves and out houses then......
There was definitely no Cottonelle in the outhouse. But if you were lucky you could use old newspapers. If you were not poor that is.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't think so. It just provided two slaves for the price of one.
I agree. It created a higher supply of labor, hence it lowered average wages. Lower wages required both spouses to work to survive, in many cases.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,455 times
Sadly I think Feminism only really benefited those in the Upper middle class bracket or higher

If you live in the Hampton's. Your husband is a high flying Executive on Wall street.
The wife owns and runs her own art gallery in Manhattan
She has plenty of hired help (Nannies,Housekeepers,Tutors) Then I think
Feminism was really good for you
It gave you plenty of life options

Sadly if you live in Detroit.The husband works 50 hours in a factory
The wife 40 hours in wall mart then she has to come home and do all the
housework. Then I think Feminism was not that great a benefit for you at all

I myself wish if I got married the wife could have a choice to be a SAHM
But sadly although I think I get paid well,I don't think this would be possible.
It takes a lot of money these days to keep up with the Jone's
New house,foreign car,designer labels,private schools,health insurance
We would both need to work long hours just to keep up

Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I agree that in some ways feminism made things worse for working class women, but what else is new? Working class folks usually get the shaft. It does suck that it's difficult for even professionals and skilled laborers to feed a family on one income these days. However, it's not just the greedy b*st*rds at the top of the pyramid scheme who made it this way. They played their part for sure, but the average house now is what ... 2000 square feet or more? The average house in the 40s was about 900-1100 square feet (you have TWO bathrooms! how nice!) Forget TWO cars; many folks didn't have one -- and then there is all the consumer goods. My family could live on my income if we were willing to go back to a 1940s way of life, but truthfully, I'm just not. I don't want to spend the rest of my life explaining why I don't have a cell phone. As ususal, the masses are somewhat culpable in thier own enslavement. Where it used to be their fear that kept them in check, now it's primarily their greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships