Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post

You don't know Russian culture much, do you? A young Russian woman won't go to a restaurant without a date. At least not to a Russian one.
Hahaha.. you don't know much about dating do you? Why would her having a date prevent you from getting to know her? In fact, it would make it much easier to meet her.

Edit: You walk up to their table and say, "I saw you two having dinner over here and you must have a fantastic marriage!" To which she will immediately reply... "Oh no, we aren't married!" Tooo easy.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Hahaha.. you don't know much about dating do you? Why would her having a date prevent you from getting to know her? In fact, it would make it much easier to meet her.
Uhm -- maybe because we don't "mingle" the way other people do. But hey -- as a woman who's never been single for more than a week in her adult life, I probably don't know that much about dating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Edit: You walk up to their table and say, "I saw you two having dinner over here and you must have a fantastic marriage!" To which she will immediately reply... "Oh no, we aren't married!" Tooo easy.
You've done this to a Russian couple? Because as a Russian, I find that comment quite rude. In our culture, you don't ask personal questions like that, and you don't make comments about people's marriages, even positive ones. Getting an answer that the couple isn't married doesn't count as scoring a date -- and unless they are total idiots, it will be quite apparent what they are trying to do. So the likely continuation of that conversation will be: "We are, however, in a committed relationship. So f- off."

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Uhm -- maybe because we don't "mingle" the way other people do. But hey -- as a woman who's never been single for more than a week in her adult life, I probably don't know that much about dating.

You've done this to a Russian couple? Because as a Russian, I find that comment quite rude. In our culture, you don't ask personal questions like that, and you don't make comments about people's marriages, even positive ones. Getting an answer that the couple isn't married doesn't count as scoring a date -- and unless they are total idiots, it will be quite apparent what they are trying to do. So the likely continuation of that conversation will be: "We are, however, in a committed relationship. So f- off."
Yeah, in certain areas of Brooklyn or East Hollywood I wouldn't recommend it either, not anymore than I would to try this with an Italian couple in the North End of Boston.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Just go buy one like all the other......men who have them.....do. They're all over the internet looking for their sugardaddies. I know computer illiterate men who have found one online.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
It's pretty inspiring, actually. If I ever leave my husband, I think I'm gonna go for a fireman, or maybe a policeman. Anyone have any dating site recommendations?
ROFLMAO! Join a Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary and help out with their fund raisers. That's what a friend of mine did and she married her fireman! I went along with her to a fund raiser to see what the big deal was -- the "hose" jokes got really old.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times
Quote:
You've done this to a Russian couple?
Come to think of it.. I have (or something similar). Wow, she was a hottie too. A cougar. One thing I noticed about the few russian women I have talked to (not that many but at least a handful) is that they have very strong backbones (or seemed to). Somehow I always got the feeling that they could take care of themselves. That makes it even easier to get to know them a little bit.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 PM

OP should locate a Russian Orthodox Church and attend. Oftentimes, they have cultural festivals that are open to the public.

My aunt was married to a Russian man (TOUGH, tyrannical man I was frightened to call my uncle) and I found that her sisters-in-law LOVED to play matchmaker, even with us non-Russians, LOL. Get in good with the old gals and they'll hook you up IF THEY LIKE YOU.

Of course, they WILL expect you to convert to Russian Orthodoxy. My aunt had to convert and agree to raise all of the kids in the R.O. faith. The funny thing was that my uncle rarely attended services but he was a stickler about her taking the kids to church.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
I'm surprised DaBeez hasn't posted on this thread yet. I thought he had a Russian wife? I wonder where he met her?

Maybe it's top secret information?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OP should locate a Russian Orthodox Church and attend. Oftentimes, they have cultural festivals that are open to the public.

My aunt was married to a Russian man (TOUGH, tyrannical man I was frightened to call my uncle) and I found that her sisters-in-law LOVED to play matchmaker, even with us non-Russians, LOL. Get in good with the old gals and they'll hook you up IF THEY LIKE YOU.

Of course, they WILL expect you to convert to Russian Orthodoxy. My aunt had to convert and agree to raise all of the kids in the R.O. faith. The funny thing was that my uncle rarely attended services but he was a stickler about her taking the kids to church.
But the women don't expect you to convert? The two men I know didn't convert, they had the Russian women go to their churches or their own but the men stayed with theirs.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
But the women don't expect you to convert? The two men I know didn't convert, they had the Russian women go to their churches or their own but the men stayed with theirs.
The older female family members push for it. I don't know about the young women themselves. Obviously, I'm a female and my aunt's SIL wanted to hook me up with Russian men. LOL, NO THANKS!!!! Seeing how dictatorial my uncle and others were, I wouldn't even entertain the possibility!

But, really, for some of the families it's a big deal because they were forbidden from practicing their faith under the Soviets. I can fully appreciate why they would feel it's important as so much of their culture was taken away from them. For the OP, I'd think that attending events at a Russian Orthodox church would give him the opportunity to meet Russian women and learn a bit about their culture. (The services are LONG but very beautiful.) He needs to know more than what he sees from pictures in catalogues!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships