Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaicheg View Post
Ordinary Argentinians usually speak English better than ordinary Russians: there are much more American and British teaching English in Buenos than in Moscow/St Pete let alone in smaller towns around Russia. In that case of my encounter in CO, the language and especially cultural barriers were simply unsurpassable for those girls. What they were swearing about, they were cursing their manager who obviously had hard time understanding them, making himself understood and gave them too much work while their mind was fixed on the idea of finding marriage-minded men. I saw that boyfriend of the one who found a boyfriend - the guy was scruffy looking, unkempt, unclean, unshaven and indeed weird. I really could not help them because, it's would not be easy to find a quality match even for my American born lady friends, let alone for a Russian seasonal worker who has trouble speaking, understanding, sending and receiving unspoken signals which are crucually important for starting a relationship. I used to hang out with former compatriots a lot earlier in my years in the USA, seen plenty of those former brides and wives... There were plenty of horror stories to tell about. Many found what they were looking for, from the first, second or even third attempt, many didn't make it...
Well most, but not all, of the Argies were from the upper crust and well educated and yes most of them did speak english well enough to communicate. However because they made an effort to integrate themselves the funny thing was with many of them, especially those that came back several times, was that their english became as good as american speakers with no accent.

With the russian girls it would have helped them to get out a bit more and try to learn the language and customs, especially if they are on the prowl for an american man.

There was actually one Ukrainian girl that worked for us in Vail who made an effort and by the end of a year spoke clear american english with a barely discerable accent.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 AM

168 posts, read 378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Well here in the states men tend to like southern woman more because the are not as cold and harsh as the ones in the north.
Or as brainless and vain as the ones on the west coast lol

Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 AM

21 posts, read 52,924 times
Quote:
If it was that easy. The country is virtually closed: you need an entry visa and an exit visa, like in Saudi. You can buy a tour or you can befriend a Russian person who would sponsor you, but you can't just go. That's why anyone without personal relations on that end has to go through an agency. Or troll on Russian forums till you find someone.
but shurely it can't be that hard to get a visa through an agency then? st petersburg and moscow probably gets alot of tourists nowadays.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decypher View Post
well I don't know, I just know I do. and I know it seems weird. I have always been fascinated by russia and I live in the very northern sweden so I am almost neighbors to them. I guess that might have something to do with it.
Fair enough.
*shrugs*
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
This person wants a Russian girl, yet claims he doesn't know much about them. So where did his desire come from. I can remember in the last year there have been a few fashion model reality shows that had a Russian member of the cast and I think there was a Russian on the Millionaires dating show. Is he lusting after something he's seen on TV?
If not and he has actually known and dated Russian women, why is he asking us for advice?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM

300 posts, read 735,082 times
Quote:
but shurely it can't be that hard to get a visa through an agency then? st petersburg and moscow probably gets alot of tourists nowadays.
No brainer, just google "tour Russia" and get your credit card ready

Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM

300 posts, read 735,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
This person wants a Russian girl, yet claims he doesn't know much about them. So where did his desire come from. I can remember in the last year there have been a few fashion model reality shows that had a Russian member of the cast and I think there was a Russian on the Millionaires dating show. Is he lusting after something he's seen on TV?
If not and he has actually known and dated Russian women, why is he asking us for advice?
That's what baffles me too. Why Russian, why not Ukrainian, Czech, Chinese, Vietnamese... Maybe it's just a hunch, and maybe the right one, who knows.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
Well the way that someone I know met his Russian wife was through a friend at work who knew her sister (who has been living here, in the area, for quite a while). They talked online for a while, through web-cam and such. Eventually she came to visit for a few months and she stayed with him, and they really hit it off and they both had a lot in common.

Maybe for now you could just try through the internet?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Why would you want to marry a woman who will be ugly and fat with a mustasche when she is old.
I always thought Russian woman was pretty hot. I want to marry a russian woman between 20-24 years not some old one with a mustasche lol.
Usually, when someone intends to marry someone, they intend to do so for life, no? And with long lives, comes aging. People don't stay young and beautiful forever. If you marry a "hot" 20-24 year old, no matter where they're from, no matter ethnicity and culture, they're going to age, and might not be "hot" for ever, just as they are not going to be 20 for ever.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM

143 posts, read 415,414 times
Quote:
You can buy a tour or you can befriend a Russian person who would sponsor you, but you can't just go. That's why anyone without personal relations on that end has to go through an agency.
Well, you're wrong and you're right. You're right in that a citizen can sponsor you or that an agency can sponsor you; you're wrong in that you just can't go-sure you can.

On my last trip, the Renaissance (a Marriott property) in Saint Petersburg handled all the registration I needed and provided the necessary visa invite.

When I moved to a longer-term private apartment I took care of it myself. The key here, however, is that I lived in Russia a few years and am fluent in the language. That may or may not be true with you. I don't really know.

Obviously learning the language would be most important in my opinion, but even if you didn't it's not hard to meet great women from Russia if you live there.

An opinion poll conducted last fall revealed that 60% of Russia's youth would leave the country to live abroad if it were a possibility. Sure, maybe Nashi/Edinaya Rossiya (Putin's party) has brought that down from 90%, but it's not at all hard to find someone open to emigrating.

What will be difficult for you, is to find an honest woman who is marrying you for the right reasons. Under the circumstances you will be meeting them (online, or through a dating agency) this seems less likely than if you just did business there, or studied there, and happened to meet someone along the way.

I did meet some girls in Russia honestly looking for love through dating agencies/internet but I also met some, and have some acquaintances already in the states, how see marriage as a vehicle to residency or citizenship in the US.

If you're not some kind of creepy sexual predator, then trying out couchsurfing.com and finding some friends in SP or Moscow would be a start. Just hang out, make friends, and start from there. With a good host you'll meet their friends, maybe go clubbing, and start a circle of friends through which you might make a good connection.

If finding a Russian wife was my goal and I didn't know anyone there, this would probably be my approach. Of course, if you are some kind of creepy guy, I don't want any part of this and ignore my advice completely.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM

143 posts, read 415,414 times
Still though, try to study the language some at the very least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships