Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM

27,245 posts, read 27,309,198 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with that, heck I know of some where one works nights and the other works days. My friends in Cherokee (IA), hes a truck driver and she works part time, and when he is home every couple of weekends for those two days, all they do is fight. They both get along better when he's on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,524,110 times
^Amen! The time we fought the most is when I was on "vacation"...because I was home more.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM

821 posts, read 2,031,948 times
starting out a relationship like is going to be hard. I say this because it going to be hard with dating you could only go out until a certain time at night what 9:00 -10:00 then you have to leave to get ready for work... it could put a damper on things. I dont know if i could do it... are you off on weekends at least????

My husband in the last 4-5 years has been working the night shift and me the day shift and its not a problem with us at all it works out much better actually since we have kids, the only time its difficult is when parties or holidays come along be never around or he has to leave super early...

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,712,747 times
My SO works nights during the winter and even with our very different schedules and living nearly two hours away, we still managed to make plenty of time for each other and see each other a lot.

He'd get a night or two off work and come down for a few days usually, watch TV or use his laptop in the living room at night, and then while I was at class or work during the day he'd sleep. We had evenings and mornings with each other, not to mention a few random naps, plus my schedule sometimes allowed for staying up until the wee hours of the morning.

Now that he's back on a "regular" day shift again, I have to get used to sharing the bed again and it sucks (I only have a twin sized mattress right now)! I think I like it better when we can have more daylight hours together and actually do things--while the sun is out and stores are still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
the only time its difficult is when parties or holidays come along be never around or he has to leave super early...
Yep, I agree. My SO usually doesn't get winter holidays off, and usually during the holiday season he works a lot of overtime and doesn't get any nights off for nearly a month! Social events are tough.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,609,628 times
Its possible. But it takes a lot of planning and a lot of work and understanding from both parties. If neither one understands or is sympathetic it can be a massive train wreck.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM

197 posts, read 396,332 times
It could work out if you do not have trust issues. Also why be in a relationship if you do not spend adequate time together? I you love someone won't you want to share you life with them? What about if you where to get kids involved. I guess it could work but not long term. I am in that situation now. I feel lonely from time to time because I can't fall asleep until 12am being the earliest. I do not like having the bed to myself.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,238,054 times
My parents had that.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,022,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
OK, it's Friday night, you went out to the bar and met your dream man/woman. You had a long day, and you're fearful you're going to peter out by midnite. And here's this woman/man who looks like he just woke up, full of energy, puzzled by your occasional yawns. Your feelings grow stronger, conversation after conversation, and then he wakes you up with a confession: I've been working the night shift for many years, I love working all night and sleeping all day. For how many of you, would this present an obstacle to investing any more time and energy with this person?

Yes, it would present an obstacle, so much so I could not MARRY a woman who worked the night shifts. I say so because a while back I use to work in a factory and I know all about this kind of work. In fact, as I type this post, I can envision those guys working right now in the LOUD (you need ear plugs loud) concrete building with no windows standing at there stations doing repetitive, mundane, tasks while half of the world sleeps soundly; including wild ANIMALS!!

A few women worked in there too and surprising they were VERY girly! lol, they were so odd and out of place with there hard hats on and boots but I'm glad they were there as they were like random flowers that blossom through the cracks of concrete, but I digress.

Anyhow, my bud use to work in there as well and his GF worked in the morning; they had a kid too. Talk about difficulty!!! He would work all night (12 hour shift) only to go home and HAFT to stay up and watch his baby because now his GF had to go to work! When she came home, he got maybe an hour or so of sleep then it's back to work all over again. This type of lifestyle is NOT good for relationships, and when your under this type of stress fights can break out more easily. Also, it's hard to do regular important things like take the car to the car wash, clean the house, or go food shopping because shift work keep you sleep when all the stores are open and your SO my not be able to do it because they are with the baby or THEY haft to go to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And here's this woman/man who looks like he just woke up, full of energy, puzzled by your occasional yawns.
On a side note, you would be surprised at how many drug users work the night shift. I'm talking speed/cocaine. They do it before a shift so they can stay awake. That's how some people can work 100 hours in a week. Places in Asia have a high rate of this type of activity as well.

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-23-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, it would present an obstacle, so much so I could not MARRY a woman who worked the night shifts. I say so because a while back I use to work in a factory and I know all about this kind of work. In fact, as I type this post, I can envision those guys working right now in the LOUD (you need ear plugs loud) concrete building with no windows standing at there stations doing repetitive, mundane, tasks while half of the world sleeps soundly; including wild ANIMALS!!

A few women worked in there too and surprising they were VERY girly! lol, they were so odd and out of place with there hard hats on and boots but I'm glad they were there as they were like random flowers that blossom through the cracks of concrete, but I digress.

Anyhow, my bud use to work in there as well and his GF worked in the morning; they had a kid too. Talk about difficulty!!! He would work all night (12 hour shift) only to go home and HAFT to stay up and watch his baby because now his GF had to go to work! When she came home, he got maybe an hour or so of sleep then it's back to work all over again. This type of lifestyle is NOT good for relationships, and when your under this type of stress fights can break out more easily. Also, it's hard to do regular important things like take the car to the car wash, clean the house, or go food shopping because shift work keep you sleep when all the stores are open and your SO my not be able to do it because they are with the baby or THEY haft to go to work.

On a side note, you would be surprised at how many drug users work the night shift. I'm talking speed/cocaine. They do it before a shift so they can stay awake. That's how some people can work 100 hours in a week. Places in Asia have a high rate of this type of activity as well.
Just wanted to make a point that only a very small percentage of night shift work is comprised of the sort of factory job you describe in such detail.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,099,531 times
My neighbors have done it their whole lives and it worked for them and their family.

I lived with a BF who traveled every other week for 3-4 days - we parted after a number of years, when he got another job without having to travel. So what works for some, may not for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships