Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times

Advertisements

It's been 6 months since I last spoke with her and I still love this woman I can't describe how much it hurts. Long story short is that we're not together b/c she felt so vulnerable with me that she was afraid of the way she was with me so she broke it off.

I keep trying not think about her but its not working. I've made myself busy to the point where I'm only home to sleep. When I'm not working I'm working out at the gym 6 days a week and running 3 or more miles after those workouts. I hangout from time to time with some buddies at a sports bar or whatever. I'm also looking to become a mentor again to young men and women. Yet I can't find a solution to stop feeling the way that I feel about her and to get my mind off of her.

I'm in my early 30s so I don't want to go around screwing random women in the hopes of getting over her. I know myself well enough to know that I don't want to date anyone right now but I don't mind being friends with a woman.

So what solutions for getting over someone do you think work best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
You're doing all the right things; you essentially need to replace that void with a passion. Time heals all.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
I know how you feel, bro. I've been there

Ironically, a personally tragedy hit me like a thunderbolt and it replaced my agony with better agony.

My father died. And I re-invented myself since.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
It's been 6 months since I last spoke with her and I still love this woman I can't describe how much it hurts. Long story short is that we're not together b/c she felt so vulnerable with me that she was afraid of the way she was with me so she broke it off.
Thats not a very good excuse to break it off with someone,Imo.
Sounds like she was just looking for an excuse.
Do you think that the two of you could ever get back together, or was that the final answer?
If that was the final answer, then you need closure. If there is no way that you could ever get back with this woman, then you need to close your heart to that chapter of your life, so you can move on.
In order to do so, maybe you could write it all out on paper. I know that this helps me sometimes to let it all out. They say that time heals all wounds, so maybe within time, it will heal yours. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Default What is your best advice for getting over someone?

Quote:
Its very likely she had something about her that you were willing to overlook when you were in the heat of passion. A neurosis, addiction, neediness or even perhaps she was a budding drama queen. Think about that and realize how lucky you are to not have to deal with it on a daily basis.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,924,728 times
The one thing you don't want to do is the one thing that will help you get over her---move on. Don't go sleeping around. Start dating again and open yourself up. It sounds like you are ready to give it all up because of one bad hand. But finding someone else is the best way to get over the person you probably dwell on every day. You obviously are not filling that void.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Box up everything that reminds you of her and put it away. Or better yet just throw it out. No need to have reminders staring you in the face at every turn. And be open to new relationships, even if you have to force yourself to do it. A new person in your life works wonders to douse the heat of an old flame. If necessary commit to asking out every eligible woman you feel attracted to. It's not easy but look at it as something you've committed to doing and just do it. Don't worry about rejection. Each rejection means you're that much closer to the one who says yes. And if you have any notion that you're betraying her stifle that immediately. You have to assume she's moved on and you have to do the same.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:

I keep trying not think about her but its not working. I've made myself busy to the point where I'm only home to sleep. When I'm not working I'm working out at the gym 6 days a week and running 3 or more miles after those workouts. I hangout from time to time with some buddies at a sports bar or whatever. I'm also looking to become a mentor again to young men and women. Yet I can't find a solution to stop feeling the way that I feel about her and to get my mind off of her.

I'm in my early 30s so I don't want to go around screwing random women in the hopes of getting over her. I know myself well enough to know that I don't want to date anyone right now but I don't mind being friends with a woman.

You're doing good, except for the not dating part. It's been 6 months man, get out there and find some women. That helps more than anything.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Thats not a very good excuse to break it off with someone,Imo.
Sounds like she was just looking for an excuse.
She actually opened up to me more than anyone else she has dated.

Quote:
Do you think that the two of you could ever get back together, or was that the final answer?
I do that at some point we could get back together if she can deal with the issue of not wanting be to be vulnerable. She's in her very late 20s so there's time. Was it the final answer? I truly don't know.

Quote:
In order to do so, maybe you could write it all out on paper. I know that this helps me sometimes to let it all out. They say that time heals all wounds, so maybe within time, it will heal yours. Good luck!
I will try the writing.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Long story short is that we're not together b/c she felt so vulnerable with me that she was afraid of the way she was with me so she broke it off.

Not sure what the hell that means, but maybe she was not being completely honest with you about why she was breaking it off. Either that, or she did you a big favor because you were probably dealing with someone who has some emotional issues that are beyond your ability to help her. She left you without a choice in the matter with what I would consider a very vague and flakey excuse. You are also remembering her with all of the fond memories attached, it's time to go out and create new memories with someone new. It doesn't have to be something too serious, but get out there and start dating again. Tie into something nice until it either blossoms into something better or fades out. Either way, you need to get out from under the memory of your ex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships