Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 PM

232 posts, read 594,168 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the whole concept of "creepy," because all of the guys I've known to have been called "creeps," "creepy" or "creepers" behind their back were normal, kind and honest guys who just weren't the smoothest or most talkative in a social situation.

Once, one of my friends was waiting outside of work for me, just occasionally looking in. One of my female coworkers said "There's this creepy guy standing out there and just looking in. What's the hell is wrong with him?" I told her that was my best friend and that he was waiting for me, and she said "Oh... sorry."

Another situation, I was at a party, and a two girls were talking to eachother while this guy was just standing quietly by one of their sides. When he left after a few seconds, 1 girl said "Wow, thank God he left. That guy was a total creeper." The other girl said "That's my boyfriend," and the other girl turned white.

So what gives ladies? Do you automatically assume that every guy who isn't much of a looker or a talker is going to stalk, rape and murder you?

Last edited by Cyanosphere; 05-24-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
When I used to hang out with a group of college aged ladies they would use those concepts all the time to describe guys, "ohh he is creepy" "ohh he just sent me a third text message. He is a stalker" "ooh that dude looks desperate". etc.

Basically it is shallow selfish peoples talk. Also I blame that talk on the fact that a lot of women are sexually molested when they are young......the hatred of men continues into adulthood.

And according to history most serial killers or rapists go after prostitutes, tramps, or people they are doing drugs with.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
I don't understand the whole concept of "creepy," because all of the guys I've known to have been called "creeps," "creepy" or "creepers" were normal, kind and honest guys who just weren't the smoothest or most talkative in a social situation.

Once, one of my friends was waiting outside of work for me, just occasionally looking in. One of my female coworkers said "there's this creepy guy standing out there and just looking in. What's the hell is wrong with him?" I told her that was my best friend, and she said "Oh... sorry."

Another situation, I was at a party, and a two girls were talking to eachother while this guy was just standing quietly by one of their sides. When he left after a few second, 1 girl said "Wow, thank God he left. That guy was a total creeper." The other girl said "That's my boyfriend," and the other girl turned white.

So what gives ladies? Do you assume that every guy who isn't much of a looker or a talker is going to stalk, rape and murder you?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
[quote=Cyanosphere;8968020]I don't understand the whole concept of "creepy," because all of the guys I've known to have been called "creeps," "creepy" or "creepers" were normal, kind and honest guys who just weren't the smoothest or most talkative in a social situation.

Once, one of my friends was waiting outside of work for me, just occasionally looking in. One of my female coworkers said "there's this creepy guy standing out there and just looking in. What's the hell is wrong with him?" I told her that was my best friend, and she said "Oh... sorry."

Another situation, I was at a party, and a two girls were talking to eachother while this guy was just standing quietly by one of their sides. When he left after a few second, 1 girl said "Wow, thank God he left. That guy was a total creeper." The other girl said "That's my boyfriend," and the other girl turned white.

So what gives ladies? Do you assume that every guy who isn't much of a looker or a talker is going to stalk, rape and murder you?[/QUOTE]

I haven't been lucky enough to have that kind of good fortune yet - but there's still hope!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Ha ha twinkle we can always count on your sense of humor

"I haven't been lucky enough to have that kind of good fortune yet - but there's still hope! "

Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
I don't understand the whole concept of "creepy," because all of the guys I've known to have been called "creeps," "creepy" or "creepers" were normal, kind and honest guys who just weren't the smoothest or most talkative in a social situation.

So what gives ladies? Do you assume that every guy who isn't much of a looker or a talker is going to stalk, rape and murder you?
Every woman, throughout the entire course of history, has had to deal with unwelcome advances. Everywhere you go.

An ******* leering at you while you try to buy a car. The idiot fool who destroys productive working environments because he wants to ask you out and puts you on the spot because you can't really say no and just shut him down (although why he can just ask you out in front of everyone, and that be ok, is beyond be), so you end up in a really bad position no matter what you do... The unending idea that comes from anywhere and everywhere (literature, chick flicks, society) that emphasizes the importance of men and their attention to you, and just how special it really is because hey, that's the most important thing in the world, right?

You can't escape it and it's everywhere. What's even worse is that unattractive women have it twice as hard in a very different way: the unwelcome attention doesn't stop. They're outright ignored, marginalized for being unattractive or discussed just as much as attractive women but in a different way.

These things are OK because "they're guys". Men can do these things, make you feel uncomfortable, be obnoxious and irritating in every social setting, because "they're men". There's this Get Out Free card men have that, at the end of the day, makes everything "OK".

I don't even know how another woman could ask this question. I don't know how any woman on earth could arrive at the age of 20 and not have at least some hatred for men. And I use the word hate very consciously, because either to a greater or a lesser degree it's there for all women. The injustices can be great or small, but they are there. They really do exist. It's like when interracial couples try and explain to their J. Crew-wearing super white yuppie friends that they really are made to feel unwelcome in certain places-- it's hard to believe but it exists. And then society says "Oh they're just being men!" or "They're just guys!" and suddenly pig-headed, insufferable stupidity is acceptable. And even more than that, the underlying lesson is that you should expect it.

And that is why we tend to call men "creepy": because you're waiting for the situation to turn uncomfortable. You're waiting for the unwelcome attention, or the socially retarded advance that ****s everything up and makes you the bad guy.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

I haven't been lucky enough to have that kind of good fortune yet - but there's still hope!
Hey Twinkle ...
http://imgsrv.923krock.com/image/wfny3/UserFiles/Image/news_images/buffalo-bill.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Ha ha great picture Nitokenshi. That's hilarious. Seriously ladies....that rarely happens.......but be cautious and don't help a random dude lift a sofa into his van and don't be involved in any random anonymous sex and with any drug crowds and you should be good.

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-24-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

And that is why we tend to call men "creepy": because you're waiting for the situation to turn uncomfortable. You're waiting for the unwelcome attention, or the socially retarded advance that ****s everything up and makes you the bad guy.
So what should these men do; just curl up in a ball in some hole or cave somewhere and die; out of site and out of mind?

When is an advance ever 100%, totally "welcome." Do you only allow guys to come up to you after you've been winking at them and curling your index finger for a minute straight?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they didn't have that many friends (male or female) growing up and that's why they're "socially retarded?"

What good does calling them "creeps" behind their back (completely insulting and ruining his chances with any other girl within earshot of you) do them? Why not tell them what they did wrong and what they could do better?

Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
So what should these men do; just curl up in a ball in some hole or cave somewhere and die; out of site and out of mind?

When is an advance ever 100%, totally "welcome." Do you only allow guys to come up to you after you've been winking at them and curling your index finger for a minute straight?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they didn't have that many friends (male or female) growing up and that's why they're "socially retarded?"

What good does calling them "creeps" behind their back (completely insulting and ruining his chances with any other girl within earshot of you) do them? Why not tell them what they did wrong and what they could do better?
What you do is reserve that for a time and a place that's appropriate. Like a bar. Or a club.

That's what you do.

As for telling them what they've done wrong, if someone makes unwelcome advances, do you really think you can just tell them "what they've done wrong"? Like telling your boss "what he's done wrong" is going to work (as an extreme example), or the jerk who keeps interrupting you on the subway ("Sir, here's what you're doing wrong...")

I already don't want to talk to this person. And lord knows, one failing trait of man is his inability to understand that a woman smiling at him or telling him off are not both statements of attraction.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
What you do is reserve that for a time and a place that's appropriate. Like a bar. Or a club.

That's what you do.

As for telling them what they've done wrong, if someone makes unwelcome advances, do you really think you can just tell them "what they've done wrong"? Like telling your boss "what he's done wrong" is going to work (as an extreme example), or the jerk who keeps interrupting you on the subway ("Sir, here's what you're doing wrong...")

I already don't want to talk to this person. And lord knows, one failing trait of man is his inability to understand that a woman smiling at him or telling him off are not both statements of attraction.
You have a very different definition of "creep" than most girls I've met.

To younger women these days, a "creep" is any quiet, shy guy. When he does open his mouth, he risks appearing "desperate" "awkward" or a "loser."

It seems like women place so many land mines and high walls around them.

And another thing about "Desperate." Woman say it's a turnoff if a guy's "desperate" and reject him after wards.

Well of course he's going to be "desperate;" he keeps getting rejected. How is a guy who's "desperate" supposed to get a girl, so he can stop being "desperate," if girls are turned off by it?

How is he supposed to produce the chicken without the egg (or vice versa)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships