Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Keeping or Not Keeping maiden name
I kept (or would keep) my maiden name after marrying 38 42.22%
I took/would take my husband's surname, and did (or would) retain it after a divorce 23 25.56%
I did/would take my husband's surname, but did (or would) revert to my maiden name after a divorce 29 32.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

well lets see if you keep your name your accounts all your old friends, inc male as long as you dont sleep them, your own office and living space, at some point you should be asking why is marriage so important to me. why am i doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well lets see if you keep your name your accounts all your old friends, inc male as long as you dont sleep them, your own office and living space, at some point you should be asking why is marriage so important to me. why am i doing this?
Maybe I'm not understanding you here. Marriage is not synonymous with losing indivudality, independence and one's own life. Well, not for everyone at least.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
I encouraged my wife to keep her nice 'n easy maiden name. but she insisted on adopting my ethnic, longer than your forearm surname. Just spelling it on the phone, you need to take a break between syllables.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
What really is annoying are the ones who hyphenate their maiden and married names. Sometimes, there are really bad combos and they sound stupid or are really long like

Mary Craven-Meatloaf

So how do you put their last name in alphabetical order? What is their true legal last name?
What if they remarry again, do they wind up as

Mary Craven-Meatloaf-Moore

I think it just looks dumb, and it's my opinion.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What really is annoying are the ones who hyphenate their maiden and married names. Sometimes, there are really bad combos and they sound stupid or are really long like

Mary Craven-Meatloaf

So how do you put their last name in alphabetical order? What is their true legal last name?
What if they remarry again, do they wind up as

Mary Craven-Meatloaf-Moore

I think it just looks dumb, and it's my opinion.
No, no, Craven-Moore-Meatloaf would be AWESOME. I love it!

A teacher at one of my kids' schools is Mrs. Brotherly-Lamb.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, no, Craven-Moore-Meatloaf would be AWESOME. I love it!

A teacher at one of my kids' schools is Mrs. Brotherly-Lamb.

WTH,

LOL at Mrs. Brotherly-Lamb.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I changed my name (to my husband's) when I married, but I chose to keep his name after the divorce. It didn't have anything to do with him -- or children, since we don't have kids. But the whole process of changing my name the first time had been a giant PITA. It's not so much the hassle with all the "official" places like the DMV and the Social Security office. But my vendors were so slack about making the chang, and this caused all sorts of headaches for me. So when I divorced, I decided to just keep his name and forego all that hassle.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I told my wife that when we got married she will HAVE to take my name. No if's, and's or but's about it.

I think nowadays, most women change their names to their husbands names. That is, unless youre a black chick in the WNBA. Its like they ALL have hyphenated names. Maybe its a cultural thing with them? Even teachers and professors I had in school almost all had hyphenated last names.
There are several female professors who keep their maiden names (without hyphenating it). It really makes sense if they have been established under that name. As someone mentioned, there are professional and personal reasons why a woman elects to keep her maiden name. I suspect, however, that this trend is more common among professional women. And, of course, that's fine.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM

283 posts, read 738,580 times
I took my ex-husband's surname and kept it after we divorced. We had a child together, so I did it for her. I am remarried now with three children with my current husband and I did not take his name. I still wanted my oldest DD to have that connection with me, and until we had children together, I never thought of it. I may petition to have it hyphenated.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
I'd take my husband's name, but go back to my own if we were to divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships