Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times

Advertisements

Our team at work got a new member about two months ago. The thing is, she is hot! And, while this may sound bad, her prettiness distracts me at work.

Now, I know I'm totally at fault here. I should control myself and knuckle down, since i'm paid to work and not be attracted to women. But my issue here is how to wean myself off of this? Should i minimise contact with her (which may prove not viable in the long-run since we're team members)? Or should i just get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Our team at work got a new member about two months ago. The thing is, she is hot! And, while this may sound bad, her prettiness distracts me at work.

Now, I know I'm totally at fault here. I should control myself and knuckle down, since i'm paid to work and not be attracted to women. But my issue here is how to wean myself off of this? Should i minimise contact with her (which may prove not viable in the long-run since we're team members)? Or should i just get over it?
While there are obvious lines, and the saying goes don't **** where you eat and such, some of the best relationships come from people you work with as you actually get to know them.

My personal opinion would be if it's more than strictly superficial, see if you can casually get her to go out with other co-workers and make subtle hints, body-language and the like to see if she has an interest. Talk with her in a 1 on 1 around others setting when feasible, those kinds of things. No need to go direct in that situation, but you can "feel it out" so to speak.

If it's just because she's a 10 on your "My god! If those hips had oil on them I'd love to slip-slide the day away" factor, then ya, you should just get over it.

I am assuming in this that both you and her are single.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Get used to it, and focus on doing your job. You're gonna be surrounded by unavailable hot women the rest of your life. I'm quite certain that she is used to guys' eyes glazing over when she walks by. That's just the nature of the beast.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Yep, it's the same as if you date a beautiful woman. After awhile, you get used to it. It's nice to look at a beautiful person but, if that's their only good quality, they won't last long. Treat all coworkers the same, regardless of gender. It's the ethical thing to do, and it's the law. Enjoy the view from a distance.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Yep, it's the same as if you date a beautiful woman. After awhile, you get used to it. It's nice to look at a beautiful person but, if that's their only good quality, they won't last long. Treat all coworkers the same, regardless of gender. It's the ethical thing to do, and it's the law. Enjoy the view from a distance.
*sigh*

When is it unethical/unlawful to have an attraction to a co-worker and bring this to light to the other person in a way that isn't demeaning? Aside from the obvious of miltary non-similarly ranked individuals. Some people seem to equate respect with being cold. Or sexual harassment with asking a co-worker out even indirectly.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
*sigh*

When is it unethical/unlawful to have an attraction to a co-worker and bring this to light to the other person in a way that isn't demeaning? Aside from the obvious of miltary non-similarly ranked individuals. Some people seem to equate respect with being cold. Or sexual harassment with asking a co-worker out even indirectly.
One thing that helped me a lot: (kind of rude but it worked for me): Imagine her farting. A lot. All the time. ...and chewing tobbacco.

That usually overcame it for me...even if it took a week or two.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I treat all persons in my department the same, it's dumb to ruffle up people you work with.

But i reckon i should just get over it. I think dating her is out of the question, given we're in the same team. What if we had a fight at home? it would spill into the team, wouldn't it?

I think a good course of action is to avert my gaze when she is in my presence, and focus on my work.

Quote:
Get used to it, and focus on doing your job. You're gonna be surrounded by unavailable hot women the rest of your life. I'm quite certain that she is used to guys' eyes glazing over when she walks by. That's just the nature of the beast.
This is true. I guess life was never fair, huh?

thanks everybody.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think dating her is out of the question, given we're in the same team. What if we had a fight at home? it would spill into the team, wouldn't it?
If you believe it would interfere on some level with your work, of course you shouldn't in that case. That's obviously unprofessional, but I'd hardly equate that with never thinking you can have an attraction to someone at work, and find some means to pursue it without being unprofessional in doing so. Or to perceive them differently. But it's subjective in my view.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Beautiful women are everywhere, you need to learn self control. Remember the old saying..."No matter how hot she is, somewhere out there is a guy who is tired of her sh*t." Beauty is skin deep and in time fades, admire from a distance, but focus on your work.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
You have to think of her as a completely non-sexual creature.

Don't date her, worst mistake you'll ever make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships