Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

I talk to many women and men who are happily married but are still attracted to other people. Others though tell me that they no longer will feel attracted to someone now that they are happily married. I wonder who is telling the truth.

I know that I have been attracted to a few men I have worked with or interact with on a regular basis. I have to force myself to stop interacting with them so often because it is just so great to be with them. If I spend alot of time with them I start thinking about him alot. Yes, I told my husband about these guys and he understands.

So, if married, how do you fight the attraction you have with someone of the opposite sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
You consider the issue rationally. What is your marriage worth to you and what are you willing to sacrifice for it? It's perfectly normal to be attracted to others and to feel flattered by their attention -- but if you value your marriage, you pass on other potential mates, the same way as if you value your svelte figure, you pass on doughnuts.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Someone can help me with statistics, but I would say if it were that simple a lot less than the 60% of married males and 40% of married females, last time I heard the numbers, would have weakened. Are we all vulnerable? Might be a good question. And I won't even go into the obesity epidemic sweeping the U.S.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
If you are in a marriage and in a supposed bond with your soulmate i dont understand how you would look at anyone whos attractive and has a nice personality as anything more then a friend regardless..

Perhaps if any good looking charming guy you get along with can sweep you of your feet maybe marriage isnt for you

Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
If you are in a marriage and in a supposed bond with your soulmate i dont understand how you would look at anyone whos attractive and has a nice personality as anything more then a friend regardless..

Perhaps if any good looking charming guy you get along with can sweep you of your feet maybe marriage isnt for you
That's how it is with me. Everyone, including my wife, knows I love women. Everyone knows I check out women. I find myself attracted to women all the time. But I have never, ever hit on a woman since I have been married, and she knows I never will.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Default I don't buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
That's how it is with me. Everyone, including my wife, knows I love women. Everyone knows I check out women. I find myself attracted to women all the time. But I have never, ever hit on a woman since I have been married, and she knows I never will.
By the fact that such a large number of people get involved in affairs tells me that people can not resist the temptation of someone who has sex appeal and seems so much more interesting than the boring spouse you currently have.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
By the fact that such a large number of people get involved in affairs tells me that people can not resist the temptation of someone who has sex appeal and seems so much more interesting than the boring spouse you currently have.
I think there is more to most affairs than just temptation or boredom. There is frequently an underlying problem in the marriage -- lack of affection, bickering, long-term sex denial, etc. Not saying cheating is okay, but I believe if it's just physical attraction, most people are perfectly capable of controlling themselves.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Well, my wife is many things, some great, some not so great, but she is not boring. And I am not saying that I haven't thought about what it might be like to pursue some of the women I have been attracted to. What I am telling you is that I have not done so.

Also, it's pretty easy for me to stay faithful since I get the impression that the women I am attracted to are not attracted to me.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM

283 posts, read 738,580 times
I honestly find my husband more attractive than any other man I have met, worked with, been friends with, etc. Maybe I am just one of the lucky percentage of people that really found "the one" and can't see anyone else as attractive. I wouldn't say I will never be attracted to another man, but my marriage and commitment means more. To the OP, I would say that if you feel you need to limit contact with other men so that you are not finding something more appealing about them then your husband, and you value your marriage, you need to figure out why they are so much more appealing and see if you can't find what made you that excited about you husband in the first place. It is there... you just may have to dig deeper.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:57 PM

168 posts, read 532,010 times
Everyone has experienced this dilemma some time in their lives. Basically, you limit the contact you have with that person and don't encourage your feelings or theirs and building up your self-control. Secondly, keep in mind what's at stake if you give in ... your marriage, your family and possibly even your job. People choose whether or not to give in to these extra-marital attractions. Giving in doesn't just "happen" no matter how much we like to think it does. We have total control over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships