Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times

Advertisements

God, PMS is awful. I turn into a sobbing, raging lunatic. Luckily I'm on BC, so it's marked on the calendar and DH stocks the house with chocolate and junk food a few days before. Good man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry
Oh its real. I'm on my period right now, let me show you how real it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I'll take ya word on it!
Yeah, no pictures please!

I wonder how many budding romances are snuffed out every month by this?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
When I was younger I had no issues at all...
I swear I hit 45 and turned into a raging C-unit or a blithering bawling spaz for a couple of days or both!...I mean to the point where my poor husband cannot breathe properly or he is mean to me cause he said 'hi' in THAT way......he doesn't know what he should do for those couple of days cause it's anyones guess what will set me off!!! Sometimes I offer up the nookie...I think he says yes out of fear
cramping and whatever starts when Flo shows up...it's the emotions that throw me for a loop...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,912 times
Birth control always threw me for a worse loop. I never really had PMS, still don't get the mood swings, but I was a total wreck when I was on BC. On Depo (the shot) I was fine, the pill I would forget to take, so I was on Nuva Ring. I didn't know anything was wrong until I listened to my husband and stopped taking it. Then after 2 months I could see how horrible I was to him and others.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
"There was never yet philosopher that could endure the toothache patiently." William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing (how very apt a title).

There are hormonal changes that take place over a menstrual cycle that may -- and this is debatable -- be affecting a woman's moods. One reason why this is "debatable" is that there are other contributing factors. For one, there are the cramps, bloating, backache and headache associated with the beginning of one's menses. The symptoms range from mild discomfort to honest-to-goodness feeling sick; but the woman must still go about her day as if nothing is wrong. Anybody, male or female, would be irritable under those circumstances. Hygiene is another obvious issue; "that time of the month", particularly in warm climates, is when a woman must be especially fastidious and schedule her day around bathroom breaks, which, needless to say, adds to the stress. Another issue is weight gain due to water retention. It's not a lot, but if a particular woman gets on the scale every single morning, she'll see her weight inching up (and clothes feel tighter because of the bloating), so that's yet another source of stress.

For the most part, however, the effects of PMS are vastly overblown in the popular imagination. According to clinical studies (not available online, so feel free not to believe me), although over 80% of menstruating women experience some symptoms, only 2%-5% have symptoms significant enough to interfere with at least one aspect of everyday life (like, for example, interactions with one's SO). And so PMS is mostly exaggerated, by both men and women. When men do it, it's so they don't have to take women seriously (I once witnessed an argument in which a female lawyer in court was accused of being "on a red patch", even though she was obviously in her seventies and therefore post-menopausal); and when women do it, it's in order to have an excuse to act out. Either way, we are all subject to a myriad irritants every day. This is just one.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Thanks for the visual
It's funny- I have 6 sisters and none of them go through the PMS thing. They've told me they don't. So since it wasn't a thing at home, this is all new to me.

I hear so much about it, so I have to assume that it is real. But I have never ever experienced it, thankfully!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
As a woman who just got her period late late Wednesday night, let me just say, it is real....all of the symptoms mentioned by other posters, I had...now some months, it will sneak up on me and I won't even know I'm about to get imy period..and other months, the symptoms are so severe especially on the mental/emotional front that I think I'm gonna go crazy.

The other day I said if I wake up one more day feeling like this, I'm going to have to check myself into the hospital. Then my period came and it started to subside, but I already had a prior case of depression going that was exacerbated by the PMS. I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks, had to bite my tongue when I was out in public/at work to stop myself from crying for no reason, had severe insomnia, intrusive thoughts, anorexia (which is a medical term for loss of appetite, not anorexia nervosa), nausea, diarrhea, headaches, and literally chest pain.... I wouldn't wish they way I felt on my worst enemy. I don't hate the weight loss, but this isn't the way I want to go about it. Thank God I finally turned the corner or I would be a patient in my own hospital right now!!

As far as the percentages posted by a previous poster and things being greatly exaggerated go, maybe that's the case and I'm just one of the unlucky ones but believe me, I wish it was just overblown BS. I hated feeling that way, but I couldn't get away from myself!!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
If I find myself being irritable and cranky, I will check myself briefly just to give enough warning to the behavior about to come, I tell my husband that it is no way his fault I am moody and I apologize if I feel I am getting to over worked. Then I run a hot bath, pour a stiff drink and soak with a good book, to "relax" a bit. Not sure if it is the bath that helps or the drink. But I do not want to discontinue either one, just in case LOL

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

And by the way, there is a condition called PMDD (pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder), which I'm sure I have, which is a more severe form of PMS and is actually catergorized as a mood disorder, for which one can be treated with a birth control pill that has a mild amount of antidepressant added for the 2 weeks prior to menstruation that I once started to take but I didn't follow through...I may have to consider going back to it.

I think it's...Seasonale if I remember correctly...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Or maybe, Belinda, I'll just take up drinking when it's on its way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships