Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,180,670 times

Advertisements

Ok....unless it's just a very short trip, like a mile or two please let me drive......omg my SO just makes my head twist n turn when I have to be in an auto and she is driving! Is this just a male thing or do you females find yourself while being a passenger in the car with your SO driving, wishing you were the one behind the wheel?
Now tell the truth.... Men speak up please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
When my SO is driving I'm happy! :] He's a great driver and has a lot of experience. I only got my license within the past year so I still have a lot to learn but my SO lets me drive a lot and tries not to make any comments about my driving and sometimes insists that I drive. For longer trips I'd much prefer it if he drove. The only time he won't let me drive is if it comes down to someone driving his truck because I'm still learning to drive a standard and he doesn't want to hear any accidental gear grinding.

My sister's SO, on the other hand, is a total control freak and will actually shout at her when she's driving telling her she's not driving right and she's doing nothing wrong! Ridiculous stupid things like, "You're in the wrong lane? What're you doing? Get in the other lane or let me drive! Wrong lane wrong lane!!" even though it doesn't matter what lane she's in. It drives me crazy being in the car with those two!

I think a lot of people feel a little more powerful when they drive, which might be why guys tend to like driving. Personally, I don't like to drive and much prefer it when I'm a passenger (unless my mother's driving because she's horrible and makes me ill).

Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
I hate letting other people drive. I'm doing the same thing you are the whole time, looking around, applying air brakes.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
My wife drives like a little old lady. I'm the opposite in that I probably could let up a bit. But, when I drive we can chit chat and she likes to write down book ideas so it works for me to drive.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM

283 posts, read 738,449 times
I get carsick easily, and my husband has that disease... the one where his arm is attached to his head... when his head turns, so does his arm... so when he drives it is a constant back and forth motion that eventually makes me green. I gotta drive to stay sane.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
I drive...he makes me need to take xanax when he does.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
I usually do the driving, too. My dh gets a little too nervous when he drives, and that makes me nervous, so I can't relax.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
I'm an excellent driver. (no modesty, here!) That said, I'm fine with the man driving. I don't feel a need to control the car. However, I have actually stopped dating man who was not a good driver.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
When I was married I always let my husband drive b/c he had this control issue and I didn't so it just seemed wisest. By the same token I always let him have the remote control for the TV too, but once I teased him and got hold of it and started surfing the chick stuff and I could see him trying desperately to be polite, but itching to grab it out of my hand. When he couldn't take it anymore I surrendered it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
From a guy's perspective:

Honestly I don't think you're reaction is bad it could be due to your SO's style of driving.

I believe that it could just be a reaction to her style of driving...and she could equally share a similar reaction to your style of driving.

In my personal experience there have been times when I have wanted to have a brake pedal in front of me so bad when a SO has been driving, or times I have felt sick from being jolted around in the car...

I think you should contemplate what specifically makes you feel a bit odd when she's behind the wheel...Doesn't sound like a control issue or anything to me provided there's a justification for your reaction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships