Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 AM

1,006 posts, read 732,396 times

Advertisements

I work in the IT department of a Houston oil company as a network engineer and with the exception of the Geophysics/Engineering Exploration floors, I'm generally in the presence of quite a few females old and young. Now word has gotten back to me that most women who have seen me believe that I'm gay because of the way that I dress and I keep my hair cut consistently. Turns out the chick that has everyone thinking this is a chick that saw me at a club with about 5 other females and no guys (she has also complained to me about her husband not wanting to sleep with her but i blew it off because of work that needed to be done). She assumed that since I came to the club with a group of women that I am gay which is weird, I would think it to be the opposite. Reason for me going out with this group of female companions was to celebrate me being free of an awful relationship I was in with a female from the Virgin Islands. I like to go out and have a good time dancing and the guys I hang around are all wall-flowers, I do have a gay friend that I go out with from time to time but that's just to hang out and talk, vent about work and relationship issues or just to chill.

My question is should I actually bring it to their attention that I'm not gay or just go on about my business and let them assume until they see me tonguing some chick down in a nightclub somewhere?

Ladies, how would you define a guys as dressing gay?

Just to give you an idea of how I typically dress, I ususally wear a pair of slim/boot-cut Express jeans with an Express T-Shirt or Lacoste Polo, matching belt and a pair of Onitsuka Tigers (The colors on these shoes are sometimes wierd and I have just about all 68 pair).

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 06-01-2009 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Must be a cake boy.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,572,926 times
Mike, the way you dress has nothing to do with it. Those ladies must be wondering why you aren't hitting on them/making passes or suggestive dialogue towards them lol!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
Mike, the way you dress has nothing to do with it. Those ladies must be wondering why you aren't hitting on them/making passes or suggestive dialogue towards them lol!
I kind of figured that but its hard to believe that grown women think that EVERY guy is attracted to them, I like more of a nerdy/Gothic type chick myself.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,232 times
Well....it's a win for your workplace professionalism I guess, you could always look at it that way.

It's pretty off that your sexual orientation has become such a topic of conversation and gossip and I'm pretty sure from what you've described that here it would be something that was in breach of the equal opportunities guidelines.

I'm not sure that bringing it to their attention is the way to go, they've obviously been way off base so far so any attempt to clarify might just end up in a big mess I'm thinking.

Your sexual orientation has no relevence in the work place and I'm guessing that you are either very professional at work (ie you're focused on the work so you've not given away personal details) OR you're dealing with some incredibly unprofessional people. It's probably a bit of both.

Either way I guess I'm saying you're now aware this is going on but unless you're confidant that some small hint will end it I'm not sure you would be wanting to get embroiled in some great drama and it's quite possible you're dealing with dramatic types. I say keep doing what you're doing, be professional but keep an eye and ear out and if it turns into something bigger then I'd be wanting to speak to whomever is in charge (human resources or your boss). I don't think it has anything to do with what you're wearing. So yeah, for now go about your business but be on guard.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I work in the IT department of a Houston oil company as a network engineer and with the exception of the Geophysics/Engineering Exploration floors, I'm generally in the presence of quite a few females old and young. Now word has gotten back to me that most women who have seen me believe that I'm gay because of the way that I dress and I keep my hair cut consistently. Turns out the chick that has everyone thinking this is a chick that saw me at a club with about 5 other females and no guys (she has also complained to me about her husband not wanting to sleep with her but i blew it off because of work that needed to be done). She assumed that since I came to the club with a group of women that I am gay which is weird, I would think it to be the opposite. Reason for me going out with this group of female companions was to celebrate me being free of an awful relationship I was in with a female from the Virgin Islands. I like to go out and have a good time dancing and the guys I hang around are all wall-flowers, I do have a gay friend that I go out with from time to time but that's just to hang out and talk, vent about work and relationship issues or just to chill.

My question is should I actually bring it to their attention that I'm not gay or just go on about my business and let them assume until they see me tonguing some chick down in a nightclub somewhere?
I would let something about your "awful" past heterosexual relationship slip to the original chick. "oh, so and so does that. I couldn't stand when my ex-girlfriend used to do that."

Quote:
Ladies, how would you define a guys as dressing gay?

Just to give you an idea of how I typically dress, I ususally wear a pair of slim/boot-cut Express jeans with an Express T-Shirt or Lacoste Polo, matching belt and a pair of Onitsuka Tigers (The colors on these shoes are sometimes wierd and I have just about all 68 pair).
You have heard of metrosexuals, right?

Metrosexual is a neologism of the 2000s generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, and/or a lifestyle that displays attributes stereotypically related to gay men.

Metrosexual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd like to know what about women thinking you're gay is most bothersome to you? Are you afraid that they see you as weak and effeminate?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I would let something about your "awful" past heterosexual relationship slip to the original chick. "oh, so and so does that. I couldn't stand when my ex-girlfriend used to do that."

You have heard of metrosexuals, right?

Metrosexual is a neologism of the 2000s generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, and/or a lifestyle that displays attributes stereotypically related to gay men.

Metrosexual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd like to know what about women thinking you're gay is most bothersome to you? Are you afraid that they see you as weak and effeminate?
Not at all, it was just more of an initial shock to me. I never gave it any thought. No one has ever said that to me or about me so I guess it was just the first time hearing it that threw me off. It may work in my favor so that they won't bother me at work. I tend to be really busy and to keep from taking my work home with me, I go in and get the job done. No distractions, I just don't want these chicks (who are less than attractive attitude wise) pushing up on me thinking they can "turn me out". My job can be quite stress and the added nonsense will just make it even more difficult.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 AM

232 posts, read 593,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Wow, are you serious?

You really can't see why a straight man (someone who is attracted to women) would be bothered if said-women were to think he was gay?

Would you ever be attracted to and want to date a gay man?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,383,249 times
I think you should have a badge made up that says "I am not gay" and wear it too work. I should imagine it would get alot of laughs.

I have known gay guys who LOOK straight and straight guys who LOOK gay. There is far more to Gaydar then how a person looks, unfortunately alot of people don't realize that.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,326,744 times
Quote:
Not at all, it was just more of an initial shock to me. I never gave it any thought. No one has ever said that to me or about me so I guess it was just the first time hearing it that threw me off. It may work in my favor so that they won't bother me at work. I tend to be really busy and to keep from taking my work home with me, I go in and get the job done. No distractions, I just don't want these chicks (who are less than attractive attitude wise) pushing up on me thinking they can "turn me out". My job can be quite stress and the added nonsense will just make it even more difficult.
I've never known any woman who made it her goal to de-gay a man, so I think you're pretty safe.

There are other ways you could let them know not to bother you without letting them think you are or aren't gay. I would think just telling them that you are busy would lead to less drama and be simpler than any other methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships