Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,588,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Would you date someone soley based on the music they listen to?
I think a lot of teens and young adults do just that.
Their whole persona/ image/ style is so tied up in the type of music they listen to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,947,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I think a lot of teens and young adults do just that.
Their whole persona/ image/ style is so tied up in the type of music they listen to.

Which is kinda sad...hopefully as they mature they realize that's just one layer of the onion.

I had the benefit of being the youngest in a family of seven. Heard music from the 60's to present; hard, soft, slow, fast. One of us loves country more than anything; another swears by jazz. Pure rock is at the base of my likes in music, but no way could I ever narrow it down to just one style or genre.

My husband was a huge Delbert McClinton fan while I merely like his music. We went on seven of his multi-act cruises which exposed me to so many new
genres & artists I had never heard before. So no, I wouldn't date someone based solely on their musical likes - could be some great conversation
& new tunes in store!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,977,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Just a question, I could as long as it was not religious music 24/7, but then again the women I date are quite the opposite of the religious type.

I tend to listen to alot of house/deep-soulful house and most women I have met say that my image and my musical taste don't match which makes it easier for them to want to date me.
Yeah, yeah ... the music they listen to or the quality of crack they smoke. Either one - I'm not that picky.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,848,574 times
Well back in the day my wife and I both listened to Grunge so it was love at first sight.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,192,370 times
A person's music taste doesn't dictate what kind of person they are, but it does give me a glimpse into what kind of person they probably are. I find that people with mainstream music tastes tend to have outgoing, generic personalities while people with more specific yet eclectic, carefully thought out music tastes tend to be very thoughtful and individual people.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,295,516 times
I notice that the most attractive people seem to have the worst taste in music. Seriously. I have seen some of the extremely drop dead model-esque females on my job listening to the most godawful garbage. Yet a couple of the more average looking girls are into jazz, underground hip-hop, etc. What a world.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,716,414 times
I don't rule someone out completely based on music tastes, but there are some things I can't stand.

My ex used to say he liked the same music as me and would listen to a lot of the same sort of music I did when we first started dating. Over time it began to leak that he really didn't like my kind of music (various kinds of metal) and liked a lot of music I don't like (rap and hip-hop and pop). Really, music taste doesn't matter, but it does help if you both like the same sort of music or can find a compromise somewhere in the middle when you're together.

I also listen to a large amount of foreign music and he'd mock them and make little comments about the songs. He was an aspiring musician himself and it always seemed like he had a big head when it came to music. Drove me nuts.

If you're going to lie about your music tastes then that's a turn off. If you're not going to be respectful and open-minded about someone else's music tastes then that's a turn off too. If you're a big-headed musician, then that is a maaaajor turn off.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,247,256 times
I was a music major in college and yes, I'd date someone unless they were godawful based on whether they liked the same combination of musical styles I do (or most of them) those being principally in this order - classical, jazz, blues, 40's, 50's, 60's, bagpipe, new age nature music, native american, some opera, and zydeco. In fact it would be imperative to me that they do have a love of similar music.

I would be disinclined to date someone who likes rap, folk, bluegrass, or exclusively rock. I'm neutral on country.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM

9,321 posts, read 11,076,011 times
Huh?

Is this a joke?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,454,646 times
If you see me with a set of headphones on, my pants sagging down to my knees, my cap on sideways and I'm playing with my crotch, you know that i am a playa and if you gonna be wit me you betta be ghetto! Biatch!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships