Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Man, I never want to get married again.
I thought this was a hypothetical scenario? I don't understand the point of this post unless, we're talking about real people. 'Fess up. Who we talkin' bout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
I thought this was a hypothetical scenario? I don't understand the point of this post unless, we're talking about real people. 'Fess up. Who we talkin' bout?
I was thinking about a situation I know of. Too much for me. I'm not married.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:25 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
That's not monogamy, that's celibacy.
Another person doesn't have the right to demand or expect a vow of celibacy from you. That would be a vow you made with yourself, for yourself. If you broke it, the only one you would be "cheating on" would be yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
And 10 years? Seriously? If your still agreeing to being monogamous after that long a time, it's cheating regardless, although you'd both need to be on some serious meds or otherwise have some majorly flawed reasoning going for that even hypothetically to happen.

Well, I lived it. For 10 years. Seriously. Although as Jane72 points out, we didn't take vows of celibacy. And as Waynec613 points out, there were some major flaws. I wrote a very long-winded post about it well over a year ago, so I won't go into it here. I will just say that it is happening all around us, and is far more common than you'd think.

I have come to terms with how I managed (or didn't..)...forgiven myself for my transgressions, and forgiven my husband for any of his. He's gone now; it was inevitable that his illness would take him....but I often can't shake the question of how much longer I would have stayed had he lived.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Well, I lived it. For 10 years....
Me too, for longer than that, from my mid-30s to late 40s. And I asked myself the same question. If I were to "cheat," what would I be cheating my wife out of? Certainly not my love or affection, for she wanted none of that.

In the end, I knew I'd be breaking a solemn vow, and that I'd have a hard time justifying it to my kids, my parents, and most of all, to myself. Instead I broke another vow and filed for divorce, but I think that's socially more acceptable and a better long-term fix for an unhappy married life.

My honest feelings, however, are that if one partner in a relationship unilaterally, for no given reason, decides that sex is no longer on the menu, it's not cheating if the other partner orders from a different menu.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I think it depends on the fact that if you vowed monogamy to the person. If that person was being monogamous and you promised to be the same then I consider it cheating. If you aren't in a serious relationship then it isn't cheating at all.

I actually agree with this post.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
The word "cheat" in itself should explain everything.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
When a relationship is devoid of sex, some times a lot of kissing , touching and affection is also not there. Sometimes its easier to understand some one who doesn't want to have sex with you ,than it is to wonder why they wont touch you at all in an affectionate way, (usually they fear it will lead to sex) cheating begins when you know in your heart that you are willing to plow through the difficulty of separation, and divorce, if the right person came along IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships