Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times

Advertisements

One of my old friends used to always need the last word so I'd always agree with her to shut her up. My brother has a bad tendency to just talk on and on and on about things no one cares about or understands (even if you tell him straight out, "I don't give a flying dog turd about what you're saying and I'm not familiar with the subject matter and have no intention to be." he'll still talk your ear off about it). It drives me nuts but the only way I've been able to deal with it is just nod and go "yup. yup."

My mother is sort of the same way, only she'll complain about really stupid things or people I don't know and then ask "know what I'm saying?" or "y'know what I mean?" a lot and often I'll respond with "no. I really don't know what you mean."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM

467 posts, read 983,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
One of my old friends used to always need the last word so I'd always agree with her to shut her up. My brother has a bad tendency to just talk on and on and on about things no one cares about or understands (even if you tell him straight out, "I don't give a flying dog turd about what you're saying and I'm not familiar with the subject matter and have no intention to be." he'll still talk your ear off about it). It drives me nuts but the only way I've been able to deal with it is just nod and go "yup. yup."

My mother is sort of the same way, only she'll complain about really stupid things or people I don't know and then ask "know what I'm saying?" or "y'know what I mean?" a lot and often I'll respond with "no. I really don't know what you mean."
lol ya I know the types.

Your brother may have adult ADHD and can't really help it if he does. Just a guess With those types "yeah" and "uh-huh" really are all you can do and of course walking away to do something else.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I think agreeing with somebody to shut them up is real rude. I do not appreciate people telling me what I want to hear in an insincere fashion.

I'd find something I can somewhat agree on and bring that up. Or I just agree to disagree. Or if they ramble a lot then I stop the conversation and say I have to go.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
lol ya I know the types.

Your brother may have adult ADHD and can't really help it if he does. Just a guess With those types "yeah" and "uh-huh" really are all you can do and of course walking away to do something else.
You can just pretend they're your wife when she's going on about something exceedingly boring and just zone out, nod, and occasionally zone back in to hear part of a sentence to recite back to her, so it appears that your not actually zoning out.

Before the flames start, give me a running start ahead..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
No. Thats stupid to do. Just tell them "This conversation is over"

The only worse than dealing with yes men is being one.

You just surround yourself with a bunch of people that do not know how to NOT being annoying. Then you are left there saying yes and being annoyed that they do not get that there is a time and place for everything and that whatever they are doing....

Social graces go both ways. Sometimes you have to school someone.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
In miu's defense here. . maybe she has a white manager - an Asian manager and a Black manager. She wants us to know which one of the three. Maybe we missed a thread. I've had private conversation with miu before - she is not a racist and does not chug-along that way. Overlook it and consider it one of those things one just types. Don't read too much into it. Just sayin'. . .
Since we don't know any of her managers, it makes no difference to us and never should to her. I would find other characteristics to discriminate between the three. You don't typo these things; you think these things. You don't type what you don't think.

Last edited by Aylalou; 06-02-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
No. Thats stupid to do. Just tell them "This conversation is over"

The only worse than dealing with yes men is being one.
Yes. *nods* ....Sorry, what?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
Yes. *nods* ....Sorry, what?
Oh you get the snake burn on the arm for that one bubs...lol

Maybe a monkey bite pinchins too!

PINCH!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh you get the snake burn on the arm for that one bubs...lol

Maybe a monkey bite pinchins too!

PINCH!

Hehe, sorry, couldn't help it. I love messin' around And being playful with people as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Sure. I do that with my black manager all the time. She likes correcting her staff, even when we don't need correcting. It makes her feel like she is doing her job, so I just yes her and keep moving and doing what I was doing already.

I feel that getting in the last word is very childish and part of a schoolyard mentality. No extra points are given for having the last word. No one is keeping count, at least no one whose opinion actually matters.
What does race have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships