Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

i think 25% of the population is a big chunk. i think people are delaying or forgoing having kids, kids are no longer an asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
Sounds great to me!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think 25% of the population is a big chunk. i think people are delaying or forgoing having kids, kids are no longer an asset.
This segment is growing globally especially in countries with better social services and education

Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
This segment is growing globally especially in countries with better social services and education
So true, and its quite the paradox. The better people are able to provide for children, the fewer they have. Who has 6 or 7 kids these days? Its not rich / middle class people in developed countries. Its people who can barely afford to feed them.

Meanwhile, people pulling 6 figures have none, or maybe one or two kids. Its not that there's anything wrong with that - heck, if I don't have kids I'll be in the "middle class but childless" group myself. Its just interesting to ask why it happens this way.

I also think when you marry plays into it. Couples who marry young (say, soon after college like many of my friends) can do the DINK thing for a few years, then may feel ready to have children. I think the longer you are single though, the more you get into your own life, career, and so forth, and the less likely it is you will want to make kids a part of that life at a later date. I am 28 now, and feel with each passing year its less likely that kids will be in my future. I figure if I don't marry by 33 or so, kids probably aren't in the cards.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
This is so...untrue...Girls at this age and the girls in high school are identical in pretty much every sense except for physical. There are exceptions to this rule, but they're just that, exceptions.
What??! 18 year old girls are infatuated with "boy bands" and other trivia (to generalize). While 25 year old girls are well over that and at least 1/3 have graduated from some kind of college and have some vague idea of where their life might be headed, maybe even be on their way to ramping into a good career. Big difference.

Best time for girls to have kids is no more than a couple years after first period (eggs are fresh!). I guess that would be 12-14 nowadays. (I guess it was later in previous generations, depending on diet & nutrition.) Though, funny thing! It's illegal for a guy to practice baby-making with a girl that age (in some states, it's illegal even if the guy is the same age, because he didn't have parental permission). What's that tell you about the world we live in.. Well for one, I guess no one is interested in having women birth babies from fresh eggs. Otherwise, after, say, age 18, everyone should head straight into DINKdom if not already pre-occupied with babies!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
lol...fresh eggs!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyogirl View Post
Sounds good to me. I don't know what all the hype about kids is frankly. They cry, whine, poop their diapers, don't appreciate anything you do for them. And they're not always even cute! Too much cost, too little return, IMO.

If your kids aren't cute, it's nobody's fault but yours.....

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post

Best time for girls to have kids is no more than a couple years after first period (eggs are fresh!). I guess that would be 12-14 nowadays. (I guess it was later in previous generations, depending on diet & nutrition.) Though, funny thing! It's illegal for a guy to practice baby-making with a girl that age (in some states, it's illegal even if the guy is the same age, because he didn't have parental permission). What's that tell you about the world we live in.. Well for one, I guess no one is interested in having women birth babies from fresh eggs. Otherwise, after, say, age 18, everyone should head straight into DINKdom if not already pre-occupied with babies!
So you are saying a 12 year old girl with her fresh eggs should have babies?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
If your kids aren't cute, it's nobody's fault but yours.....
Heh, parents' perception of cuteness is highly unreliable. They see a cutie; I see an obnoxious monster. Also, you know the saying about having a face only a mother (guess father, too) can love...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
What's to think of? Personally, I'm glad when people who don't want kids take the necessary precautions. There are enough unwanted children in the world as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships