Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I like the idea of cutting to the chase from the comfort of my own home. It beats going to a bar (not my style anyways) or waiting for friends to set me up.
Me too! Nothing like cozying up to my computer in my jammies and taking charge of my dating life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
So, now, what's the difference between that and going onto an internet site with a topic that you have an interest in?
It's just more personal I guess. I get a better feel for people when I'm actually with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Um, I don't think pointing out the positives of online dating is being a "diva." Maybe one of your cows kicked you too hard in the head one too many times. Also, I would never scoop cow crap for a living, so you bragging about that and saying I haven't done it doesn't exactly devastate me.
It seems the only way to meet a guy that piques my interest has been online. The ones who hit on me out and about are just not attractive in any way (for me), even though I appreciate the compliment. I'm like the other poster, I just can't go out to bars by myself and stand around, waiting for some drunk loser to hit on me. That's just pathetic and sad. It seems most singles groups are mostly women too, so those odds are pretty crappy too. I'll just do whatever it takes to find love and online is just another option, but not the only one.
Scoop cow crap? They free range, so there's no real need to do that. I'll let you in on a little secret too. The harder you look for love, the less likely you are to find it. It's one of those deals that just kinda falls into your lap when the time is right. I've only truly loved once, and it was amazing. When she lead me out on to that pier and danced with me, the world around us disappeared. I didn't meet her because I was looking for anything in particular. It just kind of happened.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
It's just more personal I guess. I get a better feel for people when I'm actually with them.
Question: have you ever tried getting to know people online?

Because it sounds to me, with all due respect, that you are speaking about something that you know nothing about.

But, of course, if having the same musical tastes is a huge deal for you, continue meeting the girls at concerts. But, don't forget that people online are doing the SAME EXACT THING.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 PM

346 posts, read 730,497 times
Well, the older you get, the less you can just "let it happen." I tried that approach in college and it didn't work. Didn't help that I went to a school of mostly gay guys either. If you're a female who hits 30, you have to get your ass moving in the search, hence having to take every option available in the search. It sucks and there are a lot of freaks online you have to sift through, but it has to be done if you don't want to be a spinster with 50 cats.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Default Re: being picky

I initially started this thread to give some guys a few helpful hints about making their online profiles better. And it has turned into something completely different!
I'm not arguing the merits of online dating vs IRL dating. I'm not attempting to tell anyone else what their standards *should* be. But I'll tell you what, I've been in and out of the singles scene for awhile (I am divorced, and I took a loooooong time off from dating after that). I have a lot of female friends-some single, some not- and the vast majority of them want/ed a man who is intelligent, attractive (and every person has a different definition of what that means!!!), responsible, mature, and fun to be with. Those are pretty basic standards, IMHO, not nitpicking. If a man's profile doesn't reflect any of these things, he's probably going to get passed over.

I think if single guys had a female friend or relative look over their profile before they posted it they would get some of the same feedback seen in this thread.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Question: have you ever tried getting to know people online?

Because it sounds to me, with all due respect, that you are speaking about something that you know nothing about.

But, of course, if having the same musical tastes is a huge deal for you, continue meeting the girls at concerts. But, don't forget that people online are doing the SAME EXACT THING.
Gotta love Alison Krauss. From my experiences, its easier for people to mask their true identity online than being face to face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Well, the older you get, the less you can just "let it happen." I tried that approach in college and it didn't work. Didn't help that I went to a school of mostly gay guys either. If you're a female who hits 30, you have to get your ass moving in the search, hence having to take every option available in the search. It sucks and there are a lot of freaks online you have to sift through, but it has to be done if you don't want to be a spinster with 50 cats.
At least you've got a sense of humor. I like that. You'll find someone. I still think you shouldn't put so much pressure on yourself to find your knight in shining armor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I initially started this thread to give some guys a few helpful hints about making their online profiles better. And it has turned into something completely different!
I'm not arguing the merits of online dating vs IRL dating. I'm not attempting to tell anyone else what their standards *should* be. But I'll tell you what, I've been in and out of the singles scene for awhile (I am divorced, and I took a loooooong time off from dating after that). I have a lot of female friends-some single, some not- and the vast majority of them want/ed a man who is intelligent, attractive (and every person has a different definition of what that means!!!), responsible, mature, and fun to be with. Those are pretty basic standards, IMHO, not nitpicking. If a man's profile doesn't reflect any of these things, he's probably going to get passed over.

I think if single guys had a female friend or relative look over their profile before they posted it they would get some of the same feedback seen in this thread.
Sorry for the hijack Ann. I'd think most normal decent guys would exercise come common sense and aviod some of the things women find so tacky.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Gotta love Alison Krauss. From my experiences, its easier for people to mask their true identity online than being face to face.
That's why I (and many others) insist on meeting fairly quickly. It takes care of the possibility of there being no connection in person without having expended too much energy.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
That's why I (and many others) insist on meeting fairly quickly. It takes care of the possibility of there being no connection in person without having expended too much energy.
Geez, you make it sound like you have a whole "assembly line" thing goin' there...!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,708 times
OKCupid recently released statistics on how your race affects the responses you get.

Your Race Affects Whether People Write You Back « OkTrends

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
All these don't and not to listed...

I am thinking about busting out the camera and posing in all those ways just to have a laugh.Wait, except for light shining off a bald head can't do that however I could take a photo just waking up which may look like road kill on top of my noggin eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships