Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:09 PM

28 posts, read 67,873 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I know that the title is incredibly whiny and conducive to eye rolling but I would really appreciate it to get some outsider advice to my scenario.

I'm a seventeen year old girl who attends high school in a relatively small rural southern (in the Carolinas) town. It's very "country" and etc. but not completely isolated (even though there are parts and people that are).

I wasn't raised here and I decided to start high school here because I had a very close friend who I wanted to go to school with. I was raised in private schools and this high school was my first public school ever.

To the main point of this thread, guys just don't like me. I've tried to make light of the situation but eventually I gave up and tossed it aside because I couldn't really think of why.

Girls say I'm pretty and I think I'm attractive but the majority of the guys don't pay much attention to me. Sometimes I wonder if it's because of my diverse background (I'm Asian and French, both of which are fairly rare in this town and a non-existent combination with the exception of me). I'm friendly (but not flirty since I suck at flirting lol) and a little on the mature side when it comes to my peers (this isn't my own idea, but from the opinion of others). The guys that I do attract fall into one of the following categories:

1. Sleazy - they hit on any living, breathing girl that gets within 100 feet of them.
2. Older - they're in their 30's and 40's. Why????

It doesn't bother me so much that none of the guys at my school pay attention to me since I'm not interested in any of them in that context but even guys from other schools that I'd love to get to know more pretty much act as if I'm invisible. It seems guys only notice the skinny, cookie-cutter pretty Barbie-like girls.

So, in short, why don't guys like me?

If you need to see pictures to make sure I'm not really a troll that's missing teeth and wondering why guys aren't hanging all over her, then send me a private message. But I am not posting my pictures on an internet forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengirl40 View Post

If you need to see pictures to make sure I'm not really a troll that's missing teeth and wondering why guys aren't hanging all over her, then send me a private message. But I am not posting my pictures on an internet forum.
Good call on the picture thing. Moving to east Texas to attend a small town, redneck high school, a lot of people thought I was a prude for the way I dressed (nice) and how reserved I was at first. You just gotta go out there and get drunk with everyone a few times. Plus if you are anything like me, your inhibitions go to the wind and you start opening up with people when you've got a few drinks in you. Oh yea, you don't have to sleep with anyone to be cool. I know that sounds kind of juvenile, but I made it through high school without having sex and I was one of the coolest guys around by the time I graduated. Playing sports helps too.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Okay, so I know that the title is incredibly whiny and conducive to eye rolling but I would really appreciate it to get some outsider advice to my scenario.

I'm a seventeen year old girl who attends high school in a relatively small rural southern (in the Carolinas) town. It's very "country" and etc. but not completely isolated (even though there are parts and people that are).

I wasn't raised here and I decided to start high school here because I had a very close friend who I wanted to go to school with. I was raised in private schools and this high school was my first public school ever.

To the main point of this thread, guys just don't like me. I've tried to make light of the situation but eventually I gave up and tossed it aside because I couldn't really think of why.

Girls say I'm pretty and I think I'm attractive but the majority of the guys don't pay much attention to me. Sometimes I wonder if it's because of my diverse background (I'm Asian and French, both of which are fairly rare in this town and a non-existent combination with the exception of me). I'm friendly (but not flirty since I suck at flirting lol) and a little on the mature side when it comes to my peers (this isn't my own idea, but from the opinion of others). The guys that I do attract fall into one of the following categories:

1. Sleazy - they hit on any living, breathing girl that gets within 100 feet of them.
2. Older - they're in their 30's and 40's. Why????

It doesn't bother me so much that none of the guys at my school pay attention to me since I'm not interested in any of them in that context but even guys from other schools that I'd love to get to know more pretty much act as if I'm invisible. It seems guys only notice the skinny, cookie-cutter pretty Barbie-like girls.

So, in short, why don't guys like me?

I don't know anyone who could answer this question but you. Focus on getting into the best college you can get into, exercise, and work on being the best you. Sounds like the type of guy you're interested in is in college.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thnik as you get older you will find that the same boys start moving away from the sleazy type and more towards the type you say you are. When you get older you can go into a bar and see that type still hanging around waiting for someone to rescue them.The girl with teh missing teeth has started down that road most proably.At 17 I would satrt down the few drinks thing really.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Good call on the picture thing. Moving to east Texas to attend a small town, redneck high school, a lot of people thought I was a prude for the way I dressed (nice) and how reserved I was at first. You just gotta go out there and get drunk with everyone a few times. Plus if you are anything like me, your inhibitions go to the wind and you start opening up with people when you've got a few drinks in you. Oh yea, you don't have to sleep with anyone to be cool. I know that sounds kind of juvenile, but I made it through high school without having sex and I was one of the coolest guys around by the time I graduated. Playing sports helps too.

I do enjoy a good party every now and then so that's not necessarily a problem. In fact, I just recalled a party a few months ago when I had a little too much (okay, a lot) to drink and I did manage to find some cute and interested guys lol. Hmm. I definitely act much more interested in guys in general when I've had a little to drink.

And I'm a cheerleader so that may knock out the sports thing (depending whether or not you consider cheerleading a sport.)

Old 06-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't know anyone who could answer this question but you. Focus on getting into the best college you can get into, exercise, and work on being the best you. Sounds like the type of guy you're interested in is in college.
Check, check, and check. I do all of those three things already.

This isn't a whine or rant, more just of a question to throw there and see what other people besides myself think. I've pondered this topic with a few friends but they're all baffled and don't have any answers themselves (and I doubt they're just flattering me because they have proven themselves to be brutally honest in the past).

Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Small town and asian...That could be why. Maybe their parents do not allow them. I was told my loser parents if I even brought any one home of another race they would kill them. Which of course they were being dramatic. But I did not even bother.

One of my close friends in HS was the prettiest girl in the class. She did not get hit on much either.
Boys have self esteem issues too and are intimidated by looks at that age.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:06 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I really regret having wasted so much time and energy when I was in high school trying to attract guys. I wish I had focused on getting good grades, getting into the best college I could, and establishing myself in a fulfilling career without worrying about guys. I found out much later that they tend to show up precisely when you're not looking for them. So my advice to you is this: Be the best YOU you can be, and stop worrying about guys.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:29 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
You're 17.... Plenty of time... And don't drink.... It's the leading killer of teenagers...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
You shouldn't even be offering to send anyone your picture, pengirl. If you know you are good looking, that's all that matters.

You're 17, you have youth in your hands, enjoy it. You have your whole life in front of you to get whichever guy you want. Chin up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships