Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 02:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
My son was 8 when I got divorced, little late for the adoption thing, doncha think? I guess I should have thrown him away since being a single parent is so horrible and inconvenient....
It's more reasonable to give the kid TWO parents. One works, one stays at home with the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's more reasonable to give the kid TWO parents. One works, one stays at home with the kid.
In a perfect world, but we dont live in a perfect world. From what I have seen most all kids have two parents.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
No, for the most part, I don't speak a word to a kid--or for that matter, anyone else--because I have no authority to do so.
That's sad that you would never speak up. Show some respect for yourself. I was on a plane the other day and some kids behind me were acting up. They were bothering everyone nearby. Finally, I stood up and said something. The kids shut up and several other passengers thanked me. Just because I'm not their parent doesn't mean I have to sit there and be quiet.

Quote:
God forbid a child grow up believing that a person can be a full-time parent and have a career too. This is not 1950.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Denny, I don't have a right to tell someone else what to do--you think you do? People like you are the problem with the world.

If you try to juggle a job and childcare, one or the other is going to suffer. Which one is it going to be?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times
i wouldnt mind dating a women with a kid...but she has to be under 30. maybe like under 27.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Denny, I don't have a right to tell someone else what to do--you think you do? People like you are the problem with the world.

If you try to juggle a job and childcare, one or the other is going to suffer. Which one is it going to be?
Actually in some cases, like the one I described above, you do. That's sad that you can't figure out when to speak up. People like you are the problem with the world.

There are plenty of people out there who can juggle a job and raising children. I ask you again, what year do you think this is? From the sound of it, you think women should be barefoot and pregnant and never have careers if they have kids. What a sad and outdated view of the world.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM

There's not one instance when someone has the RIGHT to tell someone else what to do. We have the RIGHT to make our own decisions and choices in life. And never is this more true than when you're dealing with *someone else's* child! You definitely don't have a right to control them then.

On the other issue, as I said--one or the other is going to suffer. Your choice.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Actually in some cases, like the one I described above, you do. That's sad that you can't figure out when to speak up. People like you are the problem with the world.

There are plenty of people out there who can juggle a job and raising children. I ask you again, what year do you think this is? From the sound of it, you think women should be barefoot and pregnant and never have careers if they have kids. What a sad and outdated view of the world.
Don't recall him saying that, but there isn't much denying the fact if the later is done, home schooling and such the child is usually far smarter and more likely to get and complete higher levels of education.

Barefoot and pregnant as a rule? No, but if you know of any Amish women around that would be willing to convert to heathenism, use deodorant, feminine products, and a razor I'm game.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
There's not one instance when someone has the RIGHT to tell someone else what to do. We have the RIGHT to make our own decisions and choices in life. And never is this more true than when you're dealing with *someone else's* child! You definitely don't have a right to control them then.

On the other issue, as I said--one or the other is going to suffer. Your choice.
Who said anything about controlling them? But you make it sound like even speaking up is the same discipline. It's not. If my friend's kid starts making a mess at my house, I have every right to say something to him. That's not discipline.

As for the other point about the tradeoff between career and child care, millions of parents out there have proven you wrong. My parents managed to raise their kids just fine despite both having full-time jobs. Maybe you're just not one of those people who's capable of juggling more than one responsibility.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM

By working, you're taking away time that you COULD be spending WITH them. Oh...right...you are probably one of those who calls off work just because Jimmy's got a ball game or Susie's got a recital. Of course, you don't tell the BOSS that. You just tell him that you're sick and you can't come in. Which means the WORK suffers. Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships