Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have nothing to gain by impressing you?
Well, we will certainly never find out.
Just making my point that you have some rather strong opinions for a guy with pretty much zero experience on the topic.

I'm not trying to be overly beligerant, just when someone tells me I should give my kids away because I'm incapable of raising them right...well, it's on.

I mean, why not start a thread about what it's like to be a lesbian bullfighter since actual experience and knowledge do not seem to be a requirement for you to post your pearls of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
If there were studies on the matter that I could reference...why not?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It all depends on the amount of effort that goes into it. With my step-dad I almost always call him by his first name but I think of him as Dad and to other people I always say my Dad. He did just as much punishing and reprimanding as my mother did (but with my family almost any adult was allowed to reprimand me. We believe in that whole it takes a village thing ) and he also spent as much time checking my homework, driving me back and forth to whatever activity I was in and was present for just about every major event in my life.

So it is possible; I think with us it was because I felt he genuinely loved and cared about me and wasn't just doing things because I was his wife's child.
You're very lucky. I see so many guys who'll date a single mom, but the moment she asks for a favor like picking up her child at school when she's running late or helping with homework when she's tied up fixing dinner, the guys will refuse. In other words, the child is her problem, not theirs. I wonder how these guys would react if, instead of a child, it was their partner's sick mother. "She's your mom, not mine. You take care of her."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, we will certainly never find out.
Just making my point that you have some rather strong opinions for a guy with pretty much zero experience on the topic.
There's no shortage of people like this, especially on the internet. They claim to have studies to back up their opinions too. The funny thing about studies is that if you dig hard enough, you'll find one that supports your opinion. I saw one study that actually claimed water makes you fat.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly, the other guy gets to have sex with the girl and I get stuck raising the child? Time for me to vent alittle and listen up because I'm a perfect example of why I don't date women with children. Let's see where to start, oh yea, let's start in high school. Gee you remember those days right, when everyone belonged to a certain crowd, the popular crowd, the geeks, the losers, etc..... Well I wasn't part of any one crowd, played sports, took all the college prep classes, did rather well but never dated in high school, no one wanted to date me, heck didn't even go to my prom because I couldn't get a date. Put myself thru 6 years of the US Air Force, came out, put myself thru undergrad and then put myself thru graduate school (dentistry) for another 4 years plus one year of residency. So I come back to the same area I grew up in and wouldn't you know, I run into some of the same women I use to go to high school with. Now these women are all single, have one or two children and are uneducated. These are the same women that wouldn't give me the time of day back in high school because I was sort of a geek, didn't hang out with the cool guys, didn't smoke weed, didn't drink beer with everyone else down by the river on a friday night, instead actually went to work on the weekends and saved up alittle money. You know the type right? Well well, times have certainly changed haven't they? Now those so-called 'snobs' who wouldn't give me the time are single mommies without a job or working a low paying job, father is no where to be found, doesn't pay child support and looky looky here, drsmiley is all of a sudden good looking to these women, what a freakin surprise dumbass! What happened sweetheart, what happened the cool guy with the nice car, didn't he stick around after he knocked you up? Aww that's ashame, he took off you on, bummer, sorry to hear that. Oh and you didn't go to college and you work a deadend job just to pay for rent and food, ouch! So somehow after alittle over 10 years of working my ass off to get to where I'm out in life, I'm suppose to just throw that all the way? I'm single, never married, no children and no crazy ex-girlfriends either. You're telling me that I'm suppose to thru my graduate education that cost me well over $100K away on some girl with 2 children? Funny, I bet if that same girl was single with no children she wouldn't give me the time of day, funny how when you back is up against the wall your mindset changes doesn't it? Gee you're 35 years old, never married, no children and single, how did you manage to pull that one off? It's called hard work sweetheart and staying out trouble, but I guess you missed that boat when it left port didn't you. Oh my god I could go on all night! My point is this, do you honestly thing I would want to deal with custody weekends? You think I'm going to deal with some crazy ex-boyfriend or ex-husband always coming around wondering who this guy is that's messing around with his 'girl'? Yea, if you wouldn't played your cards right sweetheart and stuck it out and stayed out of trouble you couldn't be married to a dentist with a nice house and big yard with a BMW in the driveway, bummer it didn't turn out that way though. I'm not saying all single moms are this way, but the majority of single moms have turned out this way. I went to grad school with a few single moms that were very hard working and didn't need to rely on someone else for help and I commend them. But don't kid yourself, if you think for one nanosecond I'll give up my education and training to be with some girl who has 1 or 2 kids with no education and can barely hold on to a job, you're out of your vulcan mind! Can't wait to hear the hatemail on this post, this ought to be fun to read later next week.
I am a woman and you will receive no hate mail from me on this post....in fact I agree with you. On the flip side of that coin women need to start thinking the same way too. I see too many hardworking black women (for this example) who have their act together and decide to settle for black men who have 5 and 6 kids by 5 and 6 different women!! I share your opinion.....I have bust my a--s to accomplish goals in my life, I drive a new car and own a beautiful home therefore I refuse to settle for a man that does not have his act together. The same things that you are saying goes for the women too. Child support will never take money out of my house because I am involved with a man who decided that putting on a condom was too much work for him!

Just like the men respond and say they refuse to deal with a woman in that is in this situation....women need to lift up their standards and do the same thing.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I am a woman and you will receive no hate mail from me on this post....in fact I agree with you. On the flip side of that coin women need to start thinking the same way too. I see too many hardworking black women (for this example) who have their act together and decide to settle for black men who have 5 and 6 kids by 5 and 6 different women!! I share your opinion.....I have bust my a--s to accomplish goals in my life, I drive a new car and own a beautiful home therefore I refuse to settle for a man that does not have his act together. The same things that you are saying goes for the women too. Child support will never take money out of my house because I am involved with a man who decided that putting on a condom was too much work for him!

Just like the men respond and say they refuse to deal with a woman in that is in this situation....women need to lift up their standards and do the same thing.
Good post and good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships