Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

All my life, as far back as I could remember, I have HATED being touched. Hugs...kissess...http://www.picpiggy.com/smile/scared/scared0010.gif (broken link) they always feel awkward. I don't care if it's my sister, father, or who ever...it just feels weird. Handshakes are the worst! I mean...who the hell knows where those hands have been?

I was walking around a downtown area today and I saw allot of couples holding hands and I thought "man...I could never do that". I can understand being with someone, but wanting physical contact with them while you're walking down a street?...IN PUBLIC?

I mean, don't they have plenty of time to touch each other at home or something?

Personally, I have always hated when someone puts a hand on me. I don't care if it's my own family (who, after years and years, now know better) I just feel violated!...I mean, if I look at a girl's rear (notice the term, LOOK) people are like, I am violating her...but if someone grabs my hand, isn't that worse?

The Asians have a much better system, with just bowing to someone and actually respecting their bondaries and not trying to make physical contact.

My only concern is, if I ever do have a girlfriend...would this be an issue? I mean, in private, I could kiss and all...but holding hands all the time and rubbing against one another in a manner that reminds me of a cat rubbing it's head against my leg?

What would be so hard about two lovers just walking down the sidewalk without rubbing their dirty, sweaty mitts on one another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Dude, you've got issues.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
If somebody I like touches me then no there is not a problem ever. Hand shakes, hugging, and other forms of touching are ways of showing mutual care and friendship.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 PM

111 posts, read 316,307 times
trust me on this when you say if you have a gf.......you are NOT gonna have a gf being the way you are now....sorry, just being real

Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Yeah. I don't like being touched.
I think I have a sensory integration disorder.
I have a lot of issues with anything touching my skin; most clothes bother me in some way, and I can't stand air blowing on me, like wind or a ceiling fan.
And I do not like to be touched.

This aversion began to abate when I had my son; I breast-fed him for almost a year, and I sort of became desensitized to touching.
I can handle sex, but I'm not crazy about it, and I dislike- intensely- being stroked or "cuddled". I usually just roll away when my husband starts trying that.

Quote:
The Asians have a much better system, with just bowing to someone and actually respecting their bondaries and not trying to make physical contact.
Not necessarily "better'; in Asian cultures, females touch, link arms, and hold hands with each other a lot in public.
I have an elderly female asian coworker who cracks me up. She told me that a few years ago, when her best childhood friend arrived for a visit, the woman immediately grabbed her hand and started walking through the airport clutching it, just as they used to do when they were girls in China.
My coworker says she shook her hand free and told her friend to stop it, because people in America would think they were lesbians.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
OP, why all the threads complaining about what other people do?

Couples holding hands is a sign of affection. Some persons also are more tactile than others. Touching in general can be a sign of warmth; there is not necessarily anything sinister in it.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Not all Asian groups bow to people. My brother is married to a Filipina woman and when we went over to his wife's parents house for dinner, we were greeted like Western people greet each other and no bowing took place.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Calling Dr Phil........Calling Dr Phil! Is Dr Phil in the house?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Calling Dr Phil........Calling Dr Phil! Is Dr Phil in the house?
This house needs a real doctor! And a very good one at that!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
If I ever told my male friends that I feel violated and uncomfortable when my girlfriend touches me in public, they would all call me a word that rhymes with the word bag and starts with the letter F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships