Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM

751 posts, read 1,669,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Sorry for your loss...You're right about your boyfriend's mother too....The reason a lot of people look down on it might be because they don't value their parent like your boyfriend does and I do with my mom...different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thank You. When either man/woman reside at home with their parents they're labeled as being a mama's boy/girl which isn't always the case.I also feel it's an unfair label.

Both my boyfriend and his sister reside at home to take care of their mother.She's in the early stages of Alzheimers so she needs someone to look out for her.I admire and have alot of respect for anyone man/woman who looks after their parents.That tells me an awful lot about a person if they're good to their parents etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,578,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
Thank You. When either man/woman reside at home with their parents they're labeled as being a mama's boy/girl which isn't always the case.I also feel it's an unfair label.

Both my boyfriend and his sister reside at home to take care of their mother.She's in the early stages of Alzheimers so she needs someone to look out for her.I admire and have alot of respect for anyone man/woman who looks after their parents.That tells me an awful lot about a person if they're good to their parents etc.
Sorry for your loss, Cherie.

I agree with you, those living with parents to take care of them is admirable. I know a guy who lived with his mom until he was 51, due to her health problems (and eventual passing). Every now and again he would mention how hard it was to watch all of his friends go through the "normal" things in life like marrying, having kids, etc...but he also said many times that he never once regretted having stayed with her. He had relationships but none of them ever lasted long because of the stigma of living with his mom. It was unfortunate because he had so darn much to offer!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM

751 posts, read 1,669,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Sorry for your loss, Cherie.

I agree with you, those living with parents to take care of them is admirable. I know a guy who lived with his mom until he was 51, due to her health problems (and eventual passing). Every now and again he would mention how hard it was to watch all of his friends go through the "normal" things in life like marrying, having kids, etc...but he also said many times that he never once regretted having stayed with her. He had relationships but none of them ever lasted long because of the stigma of living with his mom. It was unfortunate because he had so darn much to offer!
Thank you.Even though my mother passed away 34 yrs ago sometimes even now when I think of her especially on Mother's Day it really gets to me.

As for guy you mentioned relationships not lasting long it's not really his lose it's the women he was with.He shouldn't have had been treated that way.

If the man I'm with now didn't wish to accept my mother (if she were alive today) and understand my reason for living at home with her then I wouldn't want that man in my life anyway.Noone should be forced to choose between their girlfriend/boyriend or his family.It's totally unfair.Cause when you really and truly love someone, you love and accept all of them and what comes with them.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,976,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
This girl is bigoted. As a guy who lives with his mum and sister, I find that this type of girl is so very everywhere. I am single, 28 and never had a girlfriend. They seem to want more then men can provide for them. They are a waste of time.

Too add further, my sister living at home attracts the guys and then she moves in with them. Men don't have a problem with women living at home, but women have a problem with men living at home.
In american culture men are expected to still seem like 'providers' even though the women have equal opportunity with jobs and education.
Also expected to do what is necessary to be financially independent.
Plus its seen as immature for a guy to not move out.
Especially over a certain age.
Through college is usually acceptable to women.
But once a guy gets past 25(unless he's going for a masters or phd), he gets looked at askance.

Its similar to the 'income' situation which gives an indicator of financial stability.

One of my coworkers has this issue.
He's a new hire and they get paid considerably less.
I'd offer to become roommates but the people he hangs out with are trouble.(we grew up in the same neighborhood.)

Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
it depends on circumstances.

Is he living their to save money (as is the case)? Is he living their to care for an elderly parent? Does he only live their temp?

Living with folks isnt so much a problem. It is common in some cultures to be family oriented. Others dont think the same way.

if she thinks he is "beneath her" then shes just sounds obnoxious and uppity. let her find someone who she thinks will make her happy. But she can very well lose out on a great guy due to her own irrational prejudices. This guy is being financiall responsible for crying out loud!!!

Her loss

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'd say Mr. Right needs to grow up. If he's able bodied and in his mid-late 20s there's no reason to live with his mom. Obviously he has some issues. Even if you're only making minimum wage you can find a cheap place. I did when I was 23 and couldn't imagine living with mom/dad much past that age.
Depends on where you live.
A cheap place around here will probably mean you get robbed daily.
Lolz.

Maybe I need to move back home.
I have not dated in a while and there seem to be no prospects.
And I'd save some of the money I spend on rent and utilities now.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Well, part of being an adult that still living at the folks' house, at least in lots of Asian families, unfortunately means that these adults would still "abide" by the rules of their folks' house. I said "unfortunately" because lots of parents don't change their rules as their adult kids grow up. I've known some folks, who have their adult kids living at home, still insist on their adult kids go home by 10 pm every night , even weekends. Not to mention that these adult kids would still have to put up "being grounded" over not doing "chores".

So, to some of us, living poorly but having all that freedom (that is, NOT living under the parents' thumbs) is worth it.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,913,388 times
My elderly parents lived with me till they died, in MY home. 13 some years. They moved in because they needed help.

There are lots of reasons why kids live with mom and dad. It's not always because they can't cut the apron strings.

In other cultures kids live for their whole lives in the parental home strictly to amass wealth and status. It works.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 AM

769 posts, read 1,010,135 times
its is very common and smart to save up and live with parents

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

491 posts, read 745,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
With the state of the economy being what it is, I would be surprised if he DIDN'T live with someone (parents, siblings, roommates, etc.)
I must say that's a pretty lame reason to refuse to date someone.
That is true but unfortunally many people want a relationship only for what ways if can benefit themselves. If a person you may date doesn't have this or that they are not worthy of my time. Its both sad and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships