Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
This girl is bigoted. As a guy who lives with his mum and sister, I find that this type of girl is so very everywhere. I am single, 28 and never had a girlfriend. They seem to want more then men can provide for them. They are a waste of time.

Too add further, my sister living at home attracts the guys and then she moves in with them. Men don't have a problem with women living at home, but women have a problem with men living at home.
How long does she stay when she moves in overnight or longer? Sounds almost like she might have something going on if she does this as often as you make it sound.

You're 28 years old and don't have a girl friend because they seem to want more than men can provide? Tell me then, how do men and women ever get together and have childred, buy a house, groceries, cloth themselves & their kids? If I were 28 and could not afford a girl friend, I would get another job, or go back to school and get an education, otherwise you'll never have a girl friend. Do you even want a girlfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
Default Would you date a guy that lived with his mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with dating a woman that lived with he mother or even her father.
Yeah, we already know, you're 28 and have never had a girl friend, because they want too much. Maybe you could move in with the father or the mother. People do that in Mexico and other countries, but they don't do that very often in the US.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 AM

491 posts, read 748,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
When a guy still lives with his mother or with his parents, he is a long, long way from being perfect. I take my hat off to your girl friend, sounds like she has her head on straight. I don't care what his circumstances are, in my mind, he has a problem. Of course, I'm a guy, but that is how I feel about the situation. How do you know it's a temporary situation? If he's over twenty he needs to be living in his own home. I wouldn't date a woman that lived with her mother either. In fact, thinking back during my dating days, I met a lady at a video rental business. Over the course of several weeks I became quite fasinated with this lady, she was darn good looking, had a great personality, and was stacked. The best thing, she was interested in going out when her mom could baby sit for her. When she started making arrangements for a baby sitter is when I realized she lived with her mother. I put the brakes on and we remained friends, but we never did go out on that first date. If I were a woman, I wouldn't date anyone that didn't have a few essentials in life already and had no visable signs of supporting himself.
So you do not care why they live at home you wouldn't date them. You may be missing a great person but because you have a preconceived idea of people living at home you will never know. Good luck finding anyone with your ridiculous standards.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
When a guy still lives with his mother or with his parents, he is a long, long way from being perfect. I take my hat off to your girl friend, sounds like she has her head on straight. I don't care what his circumstances are, in my mind, he has a problem. Of course, I'm a guy, but that is how I feel about the situation. How do you know it's a temporary situation? If he's over twenty he needs to be living in his own home. I wouldn't date a woman that lived with her mother either. In fact, thinking back during my dating days, I met a lady at a video rental business. Over the course of several weeks I became quite fasinated with this lady, she was darn good looking, had a great personality, and was stacked. The best thing, she was interested in going out when her mom could baby sit for her. When she started making arrangements for a baby sitter is when I realized she lived with her mother. I put the brakes on and we remained friends, but we never did go out on that first date. If I were a woman, I wouldn't date anyone that didn't have a few essentials in life already and had no visable signs of supporting himself.
Being judgmental, aren't we?

What do you know about the man's situation other than a few things you actually gleaned from the original post?

I have been living with my folks for the past 4 years. Prior to that I lived by myself while I was away in college. When I decided to drop out of college temporarily to help out with the family hotel business, I came back home and lived with my folks. To this day it was the most logical decision I have made since I spent 8+ hours operating the hotel and attended night school each day until I finally attained bachelor's degree. The only time I was ever home was to change my clothes midday and to sleep at night.

As of right now, I am debt free. I don't owe any student loans since the money I earned working at the hotel was spent on my tuition fees each quarter. I buy my own groceries, cook my own meals, and I also do my own laundry. I also do the chores on my side of the folks' house since they are generous enough to give me the space I need.

And before a woman should be really scared of me once she finds out that a nearly 30 year old guy is still living with his folks -- keep reading:

We bought sold the old hotel and upgraded to a new construction hotel building. Business is doing well, and I'm closing in on a brand new house where I will live by myself since I qualified for a mortgage loan and have generous amount of money saved for down payment from living with my parents. I won't be living from paycheck to paycheck and stressed out from worrying about making monthly mortgage payment. And by the time I settle down a few years from now, I will be financially stable to support my own family and ensuring their success, just like my folks did for me. And no shallow people or gold diggers will be allowed in my new house -- just the folks who have helped me and those who need support in reaching their dreams.

Some people can be so damn judgmental of others, they tend get blind sighted and miss out a lucky find.

Damn the judgmental people.

Damn the gold diggers.

It's no wonder why I avoid talking about what I do for a living and how much I make.

Last edited by TimC2462; 05-01-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 AM

164 posts, read 568,335 times
Some people can be so damn judgmental of others, they tend get blind sighted and miss out a lucky find.

I wouldn't mind at all, as it could be for all kind of reasons:
-Gets along great with his mom: I love family minded people.
-Wants to save: Thinking long term.
-Is going back to uni/college: wants to improve his life.

In fact, after 16 years of living on my own. I want to go back to uni and will be living with my mom for 2 years. I am looking forward to it

Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,777 times
I dated a nut that lived with his mother and he is still guess what? Living with his mother. He is a nut and he lives in the basement and is 60! He is a drunk nut! He turned out to be a three time felon and and a perverted liar. God knows what else he did. He was also caught with drugs. It was definitely a dysfunctional situation. He was always complaining about his mother kicking him out and cussing him out. At first I thought he was there to take care of her as she was elderly. After awhile it turned out to be too weird. Long story, but there is a problem with someone over age 20 living at home unless he is very ill or the parent is ill. period!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 AM

164 posts, read 568,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I dated a nut that lived with his mother and he is still guess what? Living with his mother. He is a nut and he lives in the basement and is 60! He is a drunk nut! He turned out to be a three time felon and and a perverted liar. God knows what else he did. He was also caught with drugs. It was definitely a dysfunctional situation. He was always complaining about his mother kicking him out and cussing him out. At first I thought he was there to take care of her as she was elderly. After awhile it turned out to be too weird. Long story, but there is a problem with someone over age 20 living at home unless he is very ill or the parent is ill. period!
Just because you have had a bad judgment with one guy, doesn't mean every guy who lives with his mom is like that, and to end the sentence with period is just wrong. This is YOUR opinion, that does not make it the truth ,does it?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
I gave a guy who lives with his mother a chance. Done that. It didn't work out because the mother had become extremely dependent on the guy and was afraid he would "leave her" to marry me. I wish people wouldn't call women "bigots" who simply don't want to get mixed up in some dysfunctional family dynamics. This is not to say that all men who live with their mothers are "mama's boys". But look at all the girls in their 20's who don't live at home. They manage, probably because they want to avoid going back home, so it makes me wonder why a young man wouldn't be able to do this, have his own life and his own place.

Dating a man in this situation would depend on two things. One, is he really his own man, or does mama tell him what to do? The other is Does mama see her son as a fully grown adult male and act accordingly in her dealings with him?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Being judgmental, aren't we?

What do you know about the man's situation other than a few things you actually gleaned from the original post?

I have been living with my folks for the past 4 years. Prior to that I lived by myself while I was away in college. When I decided to drop out of college temporarily to help out with the family hotel business, I came back home and lived with my folks. To this day it was the most logical decision I have made since I spent 8+ hours operating the hotel and attended night school each day until I finally attained bachelor's degree. The only time I was ever home was to change my clothes midday and to sleep at night.

As of right now, I am debt free. I don't owe any student loans since the money I earned working at the hotel was spent on my tuition fees each quarter. I buy my own groceries, cook my own meals, and I also do my own laundry. I also do the chores on my side of the folks' house since they are generous enough to give me the space I need.

And before a woman should be really scared of me once she finds out that a nearly 30 year old guy is still living with his folks -- keep reading:

We bought sold the old hotel and upgraded to a new construction hotel building. Business is doing well, and I'm closing in on a brand new house where I will live by myself since I qualified for a mortgage loan and have generous amount of money saved for down payment from living with my parents. I won't be living from paycheck to paycheck and stressed out from worrying about making monthly mortgage payment. And by the time I settle down a few years from now, I will be financially stable to support my own family and ensuring their success, just like my folks did for me. And no shallow people or gold diggers will be allowed in my new house -- just the folks who have helped me and those who need support in reaching their dreams.

Damn the judgmental people.

Damn the gold diggers.

It's no wonder why I avoid talking about what I do for a living and how much I make.
Congratulations on your prosperity and success. But please don't mislead people into thinking that every man who lives with his parents has the ability to do the things you've done. It would be good for you not to judge people, either. Put the shoe on the other foot. Would you want to be married to a woman who put her trust and her loyalty in her father instead of you? Would you want someone who let a parent be a wedge between them? You sound like an independent guy. I don't think so.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Congratulations on your prosperity and success. But please don't mislead people into thinking that every man who lives with his parents has the ability to do the things you've done. It would be good for you not to judge people, either. Put the shoe on the other foot. Would you want to be married to a woman who put her trust and her loyalty in her father instead of you? Would you want someone who let a parent be a wedge between them? You sound like an independent guy. I don't think so.

My post was not about having the ability to do what *I'* have done. I'm not endorsing people living the way I am if they choose to live with their parents. It's about folks making sweeping generalizations about single adults still living with his/her parents.

Yes, it would be a red flag to me if the adult child isn't working towards anything to be independent, but who am I to judge others for their choices in life? People have different reasons for choosing this living arrangement.

I think you were replying to my post based on your past experience with a man who lived with his mother. I'm not sure how both of our experiences are even remotely related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships