Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
No, there is no "woe is me" attitude in the OP because it has nothing to do with my life, and hence, by saying that the OP has a "woe is me" additude you are saying something that has no bearing on the subject.
Me thinks the man doth protest too much.

I've read your other topics as well. And, yeah, putting two and two together...you don't really need to keep arguing that you never mentioned yourself in the OP.

But, again, taking a look at yourself is tough. Saying you're "fine" is great...but writing with such hostility about these issues may lead the reader to believe otherwise.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times
you can find a link online to back up just about anything now days...
that doesn't back up anything. It just shows you're not alone in your f'd up thinking

Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When someone talks like YOU do, the "woe is me" thing comes fairly naturally, yes.
So, by bringing up a subject completely different from myself I am somehow "naturally saying 'woe is me' " Okay...

Quote:
Let me ask you this, what are YOU doing to change these things that you are seeing? Anything except ranting on an internet chat board?
I will answer that question with two questions:

1) Why don't you ask that of all the women who post saying "men who have multiple sex partners are called studs but women who do are called tramps" and 2) if I post on a Transformers message board about how stupid Megatron looks, would you scream "Let me ask you this, what are YOU doing to change these robots that you are seeing? Anything except ranting on an internet chat board?"

What, are people not suppose to post their oppinions on a message board?...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The reality is that a single person really can't do much to change bigotry other than to discuss perspectives on the flaws that are in social beliefs. The same way people can disagree with religious denominations and political decisions made by our government. This type of stuff goes on in college classes. People hold discussions and debates like he is doing. It goes on in politics people debate all the time.
See, the problem here is that I (and others apparently) don't see this as anything near a "hypothetical" discussion that one would see in a college class. Hence, my *radical* idea of him actually associating with people who aren't Neanderthals.

Or, maybe, I should just feed into this hostility, and say that MEN ARE PIGS. *shrug* Looks like you're the only one who "gets" this.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Well college is a place for drinking and drugging. The rate of quality research is pretty low if you ask me. A lot of research seems irrelevant or trite.

Quote:
So, stating something and then providing a link to back it up with facts is a "straw man" argument. Righhhhht

Man, there sure are allot of "straw man arguments" going on in colleges across America, with all those students citing "straw man sources"...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Hence, my *radical* idea of him actually associating with people who aren't Neanderthals.

Or, maybe, I should just feed into this hostility, and say that MEN ARE PIGS. *shrug* Looks like you're the only one who "gets" this.
Ugg! and....oink!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
You are advocating he change his circle of friends. I hear that. I agree with that.

Quote:
See, the problem here is that I (and others apparently) don't see this as anything near a "hypothetical" discussion that one would see in a college class. Hence, my *radical* idea of him actually associating with people who aren't Neanderthals.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Again, if you do not see the pressure that is put on men by THE MEDIA (the media is the media, no matter who you hang out with) for men to behave a certain way, then you are blind.

Quote:
First of all, I am one of the few people posting here who aren't angry. I am not cursing or throwing a fit, just saying. Second, indeed, men can be pigs, as it is often men who perpetuate these double standards against other men.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
So, by bringing up a subject completely different from myself I am somehow "naturally saying 'woe is me' " Okay...
From this post and your others, yes, that's how it looks to me.

When you write about generalized behavior that has absolutely NOTHING to do with any sort of reality in the lives of many people, some people might assume that you are speaking about how YOU feel. My most humble and abject apologies if this is an incorrect assumption. But, if I am correct, it OOZES "woe is me". Again, my opinion, which I am entitled to.

Quote:
I will answer that question with two questions:

1) Why don't you ask that of all the women who post saying "men who have multiple sex partners are called studs but women who do are called tramps" and 2) if I post on a Transformers message board about how stupid Megatron looks, would you scream "Let me ask you this, what are YOU doing to change these robots that you are seeing? Anything except ranting on an internet chat board?"
1) Over time, that has been a stereotypical reaction. And, if someone came onto the board with that statement, as well as half a dozen other generalities, I'd have the same reaction I had to you. IT IS NOT A UNIVERSAL, AT ALL.

2) First off, I prefer the Pokemon message boards. But, if I would deign to show my robo-avvie on the Transformers boards, I would encourage you to do all in your power to change things. Write to the toy company, tell everyone you know to boycott, or, don't buy the merchandise.

Then, I'd sign off and just laugh because that's simply a horrid analogy.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times
what the hell was this post about anyhow cause it sure isn't about that now....
And if men weren't men that would mean they would be women and that would be bad.

Unless these people you disdain affect your everyday life then whats the beef???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships