Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,181,606 times

Advertisements

Lol, creme...I know two marriages where the women have all the power and control (and make a great deal more of the money, as well). And their husbands (who are both nice, smart guys) kind of coast along, help some with child care, do whatever. They are both very type 'B' personalities and their wives are hyper type 'A'. The wives do all the planning, the organizing, the coordinating, etc.

That would make me insane. If I were either person (wife or husband). I'm a type A who prefers the company of other type As.

But both couples seem to like their arrangement just fine. One wife even told me that if it means she has all the power, she's totally happy with the way her husband is.

To each their own. I need to be in a relationship where I can totally let go of the reins and know my spouse would pick them up and do just as a good a job at everything as I was doing...and not miss a beat. But everyone's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 AM

28,880 posts, read 30,155,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol, creme...I know two marriages where the women have all the power and control (and make a great deal more of the money, as well). And their husbands (who are both nice, smart guys) kind of coast along, help some with child care, do whatever. They are both very type 'B' personalities and their wives are hyper type 'A'. The wives do all the planning, the organizing, the coordinating, etc.

That would make me insane. If I were either person (wife or husband). I'm a type A who prefers the company of other type As.

But both couples seem to like their arrangement just fine. One wife even told me that if it means she has all the power, she's totally happy with the way her husband is.

To each their own. I need to be in a relationship where I can totally let go of the reins and know my spouse would pick them up and do just as a good a job at everything as I was doing...and not miss a beat. But everyone's different.
you have no idea how you just have woken me up...thank you,,,,,

hugs and kisses....

seriously, I hear ya, and no, I couldn't be in a relationship like that at all...used to be...way to stagnating and over bearing. but yeah, to each his own....

Thanks
Creme

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,604,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Great response...and right on, sensible leadership...and being in the army you must also know, that sometimes a good leader needs to make unpopular decissions....
lol.. nice.. it's off topic, but yeah .. like, for example, contrary to popular belief, no one ever asked the troops if we wanted to fight two wars at the same time. I was told it's what I was going to do. And you know, if I were asked .... won't go there ... but sometimes you support the chain of command because that's what needs to be done. Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes, it's best to support a bad decision to maintain order in the ranks. For marriage, sometimes I go ahead and go along with the wife's plan even if I don't necessarily agree.. especially when it is in matters involving our daughter. I don't want pettiness to undermine her authority in our daughter's eyes.

One more point, a wise colonel told me this: When you're trying to decide if you should speak up and tell your boss his plan isn't the best one, consider this -- COULD it be done in the way he's proposing? Not SHOULD it be done his way, but COULD it. If the answer is yes, it could ... support it .. even if you think it shouldn't be ... that's how you keep your ego in check. That works for marriage too ... really, wife, really? You'd really rather take route A, as opposed to route B? (Will route A get you two where you need to go? If yes, why argue .. life is too short.)

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcobb View Post
lol.. Nice.. It's off topic, but yeah .. Like, for example, contrary to popular belief, no one ever asked the troops if we wanted to fight two wars at the same time. I was told it's what i was going to do. And you know, if i were asked .... Won't go there ... But sometimes you support the chain of command because that's what needs to be done. Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes, it's best to support a bad decision to maintain order in the ranks. For marriage, sometimes i go ahead and go along with the wife's plan even if i don't necessarily agree.. Especially when it is in matters involving our daughter. I don't want pettiness to undermine her authority in our daughter's eyes.

One more point, a wise colonel told me this: When you're trying to decide if you should speak up and tell your boss his plan isn't the best one, consider this -- could it be done in the way he's proposing? Not should it be done his way, but could it. If the answer is yes, it could ... Support it .. Even if you think it shouldn't be ... That's how you keep your ego in check. That works for marriage too ... Really, wife, really? You'd really rather take route a, as opposed to route b? (will route a get you two where you need to go? If yes, why argue .. Life is too short.)

Very very much enjoyed this

thank you!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
This tells me you don't do much driving, funymann.
That's funy!!

To be honest with you...

In real life, when I married and my wife and I were leaving one day and she hopped in the driver's seat. When I came out of the house she was sitting in the driver's seat.
I said, "Move over."
She said,"Why can't I drive? It's my car." (Her car BEFORE we got married)
I said, "I'm driving. Move over."
This went on for about 10 minutes. Finally she moved over.
She never questioned me after that. She always knew that if we were going somewhere together I was driving and she would sit in the passenger's seat.

It's not that I never let her drive. She will never question who is driving. It's always me unless I tell her to drive.

Go ahead, tell me it's wrong.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

My sister married a guy like that.

After a few years she lost all respect for him and divorced him.

She wanted him to be the guy that followed her lead....or so she thought. She then realized that it wasn't what was going to make her happy. She still hasn't come to grips with reality.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM

457 posts, read 887,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's funy!!

To be honest with you...

In real life, when I married and my wife and I were leaving one day and she hopped in the driver's seat. When I came out of the house she was sitting in the driver's seat.
I said, "Move over."
She never questioned me after that. She always knew that if we were going somewhere together I was driving and she would sit in the passenger's seat.

It's not that I never let her drive. She will never question who is driving. It's always me unless I tell her to drive.

Too funny! I don't know why...but for some reason this made me laugh so hard! Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's funy!!

To be honest with you...

I said, "Move over."

Nice story....funny how we get so used to each other....

Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,674,134 times
Quote:
I said, "Move over."

It's wrong because it's unsafe and inefficient, and inefficiency suffered for the sake of some stupid principle is pathetic. When driving long distances, particularly in unfamiliar territory, the best way to travel is for one person to drive and for the other to navigate. (By the way -- that's how sailors and most pilots travel, as well.) This is still the best way even if you have a GPS. One person should concentrate on the driving, while the other should make sure proper direction is taken, detours are followed correctly, etc. It's also best for the driver and the navigator to switch every 3-4 hours; even if there is no actual rest involved, merely changing gears wards off fatigue and reduces the chances of an accident or misdirection. (At this point, I beg that you spare me the tedious tales of your superior driving. I will happily concede that every man on this forum, who adheres to vicious sexist stereotypes, is a multi-billionaire, a Formula-1 type race car driver, and has a perfect washboard and a 19" tool. Okay?) Of course, this ruins your neat little metaphor about who should be in charge -- since it's hard to tell indeed whether it is the driver or the navigator. In any event, your statements about driving lead me to believe you actually do very little of it -- in the sense that you don't get out much. Which is a pity. You should do a little traveling -- might broaden your horizons a bit. Or maybe you are just one of those people who can't go to an unfamiliar place, unless it's with a tour group of 30+ (which would, of course, render your philosophizing about the driver seat even more comical than it already is).

Lastly, I really don't care how your wife feels. That's her business. If she gets off on being ordered about and treated like a subordinate, while you get off on petty domestic lordship, that's your own thing to deal with. Pushing it on others and lecturing people on how they should subjugate others or suffer themselves to be subjugated -- that's what's really wrong. Stick to driving your own car -- as I've stated above, you haven't gotten that mastered yet, anyway.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,181,606 times
Wow...if someone talked to me like that, I would punch him in the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships