Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:33 PM

893 posts, read 1,574,387 times

Advertisements

What has happend to men? What happend to guys protecting their family, being the backbone of the family and such. Guys like Jon, from Kate & Jon or the ones you see on 'wife swap' or 'Super Nanny' are becoming way too common. There seems to be less and less of our Grandfathers' type of guy, where his hands were hard when needed, and caring when needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM

324 posts, read 1,134,880 times
I think that a lot of men did not have good role models growing up and the trend continues with them.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM

111 posts, read 315,620 times
There are plenty around....these guys probably would not have been like you say they are except that they got famous......almost all of my friends would not want to be in any another role besides being the man of the family by being able to provide... now we would definitely welcome the idea of our love ones to bring home more bread anytime

Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,955,105 times
Because real men aren't fodder for reality TV. They quietly do their work, raise their children, love their wives, coach little league, mow their lawns, and help out neighbors without having 40,000,000 fools tune into their every action.

To me, the better question to ask is why are you watching this junk?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,384,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To me, the better question to ask is why are you watching this junk?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM

893 posts, read 1,574,387 times
You are right CPG....reps to you!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,681,252 times
The problem with today's man is the "softening" of the testosterone of men born after 1980. Men are not being raised to be men and take care of their families instead they are being raised to depend on "mommy and daddy" and not live up to their full male potential. From the very beginning boys now play team sports where "both teams win" they have to be sensitive and cry at everything and any shred of respect they have is ripped from them when they get married. They look at their broken marriages and even though they tried to be the husbands their wives (read society) says they should be they become part of the growing statistic that most marriages (more than 50%) end in divorce. Today's man has no one to blame but himself for letting it get to this stage. Now this does not mean that men must be the "Captain of the ship" and adhere to all of the stereotypical misogynist behavior that (some) men engage in.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,832,738 times
For thousands of years, there was a balance between the men who lived up to their responsibilities and those who acted like cow birds. (birds that lay their eggs in another bird's nest) Since there were always women who would lust after the latter and proving who was the father was difficult to do, such men were able to perpetrate their genes but this was a high rick activity and this kept them under 10% of the population.

In recent decades, the number of sales jobs (a natural for slick "cow birds") has exploded, public assistance is better and the stigma of divorce or having a child out of marriage has almost completely been lost. Therefore, the percentage of these types has exploded.

Consequently, the willingness of the declining number of non "cow birds" to step up to help raise these children has naturally plummeted. Meanwhile, their chance of actually having children of their own has never been lower.

Since "cow birds" start reproducing at a young age, we've had at least 4 generations of this trend developing.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,182,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
For thousands of years, there was a balance between the men who lived up to their responsibilities and those who acted like cow birds. (birds that lay their eggs in another bird's nest) Since there were always women who would lust after the latter and proving who was the father was difficult to do, such men were able to perpetrate their genes but this was a high rick activity and this kept them under 10% of the population.

In recent decades, the number of sales jobs (a natural for slick "cow birds") has exploded, public assistance is better and the stigma of divorce or having a child out of marriage has almost completely been lost. Therefore, the percentage of these types has exploded.

Consequently, the willingness of the declining number of non "cow birds" to step up to help raise these children has naturally plummeted. Meanwhile, their chance of actually having children of their own has never been lower.

Since "cow birds" start reproducing at a young age, we've had at least 4 generations of this trend developing.
Afraid that's fairly spot on for the most part, sadly. The having the cake and eating it, same as years past with the husband usually fooling around on the side for the norm. Not that that trend isn't trying to continue, but the "other women" aren't putting up with it as readily anymore from what I see.

I'd rep you, but I'm out atm.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

372 posts, read 453,536 times
Amen to everything said so far. I would like to say that I have seen a rebirth of "manliness" particularly in the Christian homeschooling community. There are several movements that are focused specifically toward teaching the lost art of what it means to be a man (courage, leadership, values, hardwork, determination, strength, that kind of thing). I have read several books specifically on how to be a father. My father was a firefighter and not home much of the time, so I was pretty much raised by my mother. Even if my father had been home much, he didn't have a father himself and was pretty clueless when it came to setting the example. These things are like the tide, it comes and goes.

I recently read an article in the same vein asking why all the "heros" from Iraqi Freedom were victims (such as Jessica Lynch) instead of the numerous medal earners who have done amazing feats of bravery and racked up body counts like in the old days (Sgt. York and Audie Murphy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships