Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Obviously these guys are Bi at least but the point is that they identify and present themselves as straight. They hide their activities. I always suspected that while they can keep that part of their life separate from everything else that society says is "normal" in his life (ie: wife & children, 9-5 job and house in the burbs) then they don't have to admit to themselves, and their disapproving loved ones, what their true orientation is.
That is completely different from what the OP has suggested.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee4me View Post
I think that there are a great deal of older men in these situations because at the time they were in their teens/20's society was not as accepting of homosexuality. They probably felt they had no choice. Now they find themselves in their 50's/60's and older living in a society that is now more accepting of this. I wonder how many men who have been married for 40 or more years with children and grandchildren really were hiding a side of themselves that they felt no one would understand/accept.
Good points. However, there was something of a place for "confirmed bachelors" in the past. I know we had a few in my extended family. (No such pass for bachelorettes, though!)

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM

491 posts, read 925,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not easy for you perhaps. Cut and dried for others. .
Yes, but nothing is black and white, unless you try and make it so. Even then, you are imposing restrictions. Read the posts of "teatime."

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Nope. Just opportunistic, LOL. And, again, they're trying to find the loopholes in what society demands so they can claim to be abstinent and satisfy their sexual urges at the same time.

It was problematic, though, with the young men who truly WERE homosexual. They'd get crushes on these guys and think they had a chance (when the guys were totally using them) and if they "overstepped a boundary," the guys would beat them up. I felt really badly for them and tried to warn them but they wouldn't listen. I guess they had fantasies of dating the quarterback, too, and being accepted by the "in-crowd." Never happened.
But would you consider these guys heterosexual? They sound bisexual to me.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I think I agree, but what exactly do you mean by "hypocrisy?" Hypocritical about what?

Well, from what I've seen, they're usually the biggest "homophobes" and when they finally are "discovered" they back-pedal that stand like their feet were on fire.

Personally, I consider it firmly none of my business what people do in their private lives, but I really don't stomach well those who complain (and often, loudly) about the very same behavior they're sneaking around doing.

I also have a heck of a lot more respect for a man who would leave his wife and children, rather than drag them through the depths of h*ll once it's found out.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Prison sexuality is a completely different phenomenon from sexual orientation. Look it up. Assumptions like these are why I keep emphasizing that sexual orientation is not always who you have sex with, but what you're oriented/attracted to.
The guy who has consensual sex in prison, or who forces himself on another male, is still gay or bi.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Quote:
I've just noticed that it's been getting a lot of exposure, and is discussed frequently in various venues.
Yes, but this doesn't make it newer, stronger, or more pervasive. It just means that we are living in a time where more people are discussing it. I do think, however, that the fact that this happens speaks to how pervasive heterosexism still is in our society.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM

491 posts, read 925,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
The guy who has consensual sex in prison, or who forces himself on another male, is still gay or bi.
No, that is not the case. Please research what prison sexuality is.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Yes, but nothing is black and white, unless you try and make it so. Even then, you are imposing restrictions. Read the posts of "teatime."
Apparently for those that are confused, such as yourself, it is not. But for many of us, dare I say MOST people, it is "black and white".

Of course, you have every right to be confused (or curious, or whatever it is that you are).

Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
No, that is not the case. Please research what prison sexuality is.
Prison sexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Prison sexuality
Quote:
deals with sexual relationships between confined individuals or those between a prisoner and a prison employee (or other persons to whom prisoners have access). Since prisons are separated by gender, most sexual activity is conducted with a same-sex partner, often in contradiction to a person's normal social sexual orientation. Exceptions to this are sex with an employee of the opposite sex, as well as conjugal visits.
So, unless the male prisoner is having sex with a female C/O or is having his wife come in for conjugal visits, I'd pretty much say the prisoner, having sex with the same gender........................... is gay.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships