Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Well, if a husband steps out with a woman, then he's called all sorts of names and despised -- so is the mistress. If he steps out with a man, then he's pitied for being a "repressed minority" and criticizing his relationship with his male partner is considered "homophobic" and hateful. Oh, and SOCIETY is blamed because we all FORCED him into the closet with our "fear and hatred of GLBTs" so it's not his fault that he felt so manipulated into living a double life.

Besides, if he steps out with a man, he doesn't have to worry about an unintended pregnancy.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM

491 posts, read 925,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, but the title itself hits home for me, especially, since they say, this is the #1 cause of the rise in HIV cases amongst African-American women. Men, proclaiming to be 'happily' married or 'happily' involved in a relationship, having sex with other men...we call it, 'ON THE DOWN LOW', in the African-American community and it is not a joke and quite selfish, actually.
Yes, it is selfish when anyone cheats. I've heard about this "DL" phenomenon, and obviously, it's not just an AA thing. Everyone, regardless of race, has participated in this.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, if a husband steps out with a woman, then he's called all sorts of names and despised -- so is the mistress. If he steps out with a man, then he's pitied for being a "repressed minority" and criticizing his relationship with his male partner is considered "homophobic" and hateful. Oh, and SOCIETY is blamed because we all FORCED him into the closet with our "fear and hatred of GLBTs" so it's not his fault that he felt so manipulated into living a double life.

Besides, if he steps out with a man, he doesn't have to worry about an unintended pregnancy.
I think society does have a large part to do with it. Homosexuality is still proscribed culturally, so many closeted gay or bisexual men and women, or men and women who are just "bicurious," are forced to suppress that in order to live "happily ever after" in a fantasy world. When conformity is expected and essentially enforced, you can expect people to go along with that, but eventually, their true propensities turn up, one way or another.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I think society does have a large part to do with it. Homosexuality is still proscribed culturally, so many closeted gay or bisexual men and women, or men and women who are just "bicurious," are forced to suppress that in order to live "happily ever after" in a fantasy world. When conformity is expected and essentially enforced, you can expect people to go along with that, but eventually, their true propensities turn up, one way or another.

That doesn't appear to be the case with "bi-curious" women. It's seems like it's a rite of passage to a lot of younger women.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
That doesn't appear to be the case with "bi-curious" women. It's seems like it's a rite of passage to a lot of younger women.
So it's only a problem if it's a man? Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
I was looking for CityData but I think I took a wrong turn and ended up at La Cage aux Folles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

If that is something you experience, it doesn't happen very often. Married men who are outed don't get much sympathy from anyone.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Yes, it is selfish when anyone cheats. I've heard about this "DL" phenomenon, and obviously, it's not just an AA thing. Everyone, regardless of race, has participated in this.
I know, and it had gone on for ages, too, but for some reason, it has really affected the AA community in recent years with the rise in HIV rates.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
So it's only a problem if it's a man? Is that what you're saying?
Uh, no. I'm talking about how society views it. I don't care if a person is bi-sexual or "bi-curious". They just need to be honest. I hate it when bi-sexual people claim they're heterosexual. If they're sexually attracted to the same sex then they aren't straight.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
To some degree, you're right but it's not just about GLBTs -- anyone who isn't interested in traditional marriage is considered odd, and that includes those of us who are heterosexual and happily single. It's truly a bizarre norm to insist on, considering that about half of marriages fail. Society holds up marriage as the glowing example and expected norm for EVERYONE, even though there's a huge failure rate.

Personally, I think that the state needs to get out of the marriage business. Let adults set up households or not with whomever they choose. Marriage should not be given special tax privileges or incentives and it should NOT be forced on people as "the norm." Those who are religious and see marriage as something sacred can always have a church ceremony. But society should NOT be pushing one lifestyle over another or giving some people incentives while dissing others. That's discrimination.

I think that if we were to do this, it would get rid of a lot of tension and hang-ups. By extension, it would reduce perversion and sexual rebellion, which often comes as a result of unhappiness and frustration. Will Puritannical America ever do this? I hope so but probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships