Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 AM

283 posts, read 738,580 times

Advertisements

I definitely wouldn't choose a career based on how hard it will be to get a date. I think you are right that you are going to find less women willing to deal with the long hours, 10+ years of schooling, massive debt from student loans, measly residency pay, etc. that new doctors face. The shortage of medical professionals is astounding, so these issues aren't going away anytime soon. I, myself, would not date or marry a doctor, but that is because family time is important to me. There are other women out there that think differently, though. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover47382 View Post
I honestly love treating patients(kids especially) and watching them improve, though. It looks like I am a lost medical student on the dating scene. Maybe you can help me out? Which medical specialty out of the four(child neurology, laparoscopic surgery, pediatric surgery, oncology) would you be willing to date, possibly get into a serious relationship with? Any words of advice you have would be appreciated.
This is such a stupid question. Why on Earth would you factor in the preferences of someone you haven't even met into what you do with your life? It's your career, not theirs. If you want to become a coroner, you should do it and not care what other people think. There are plenty of women who will date any kind of doctor. These are the shallow golddiggers and status-seekers. It's sad that someone would pick a specialty based on how it'll impress women.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
From a patient's point of view (or rather, a mother of a patient's point of view), I was eternally grateful to doctors in hospitals who, it seemed, spent days and nights in there. I admit though, the thought of their personal life did come to my mind. Nothing, - nothing - ever indicated that they thought about anything else whatsoever other than this particular pediatric ICU unit. 48 hours, 72 hours later - they were still there. I'm sure they had some bird sleep in a side room.

Such dedication to a single purpose is something many people strive for. So in that sense, they are luckier than many. Maybe, they have sublimated other parts of their life for this type of work.

As a mother of a child you would like to see THAT, nothing less. But less urgent specialties like neurology have more office-like hours.

I'm sure much of their personal partners come from within the same environment, - doctors, nurses.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM

124 posts, read 328,910 times
Dont give up your passion of life to a girl you cannot find right now, from a larger perspective you would probably not be satisfied with a woman whole life, but you would definitely be rotting if you chose a profession you did not want to. loving kids is very good, you would feel good at the end of the day when you treat people, that is something not everybody can achieve, giving someone health, life, smile, is no joke, and you are investing your life into that.

Regarding 4 am, these days call center and customer service execs work 24*7 ,

Ok lawyers and all or school teachers dont work in night generally as courts and schools are closed, but doctors do as hospitals are open or are in emergency. But thats how each profession is, plus and minus embedded, if your plus outweighs your minus, GO FOR IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover47382 View Post
Hey 1st time poster, long time fan of City-Data.

I am excited to be heading to med school this fall, but feel like I have taken a step backwards with regards to the dating/romance scene. I am looking at going into possibly child neurology, laparoscopic surgery, pediatric surgery, or oncology. Whenever I tell potential dates about my future goals they give me negative feedback. For example, “who would ever go out with a nerdy neurologist†or “I don’t want to date someone who is going to be out at 3:00 AM to go do surgeryâ€.

Maybe medicine wasn’t such a great route eh? Maybe I should have gone to law or business? My one lawyer friend(girl) is always going out with great guys and getting called constantly. My other business friend(guy) is happily engaged to a sweet girl.

I honestly love treating patients(kids especially) and watching them improve, though. It looks like I am a lost medical student on the dating scene. Maybe you can help me out? Which medical specialty out of the four(child neurology, laparoscopic surgery, pediatric surgery, oncology) would you be willing to date, possibly get into a serious relationship with? Any words of advice you have would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
From a patient's point of view (or rather, a mother of a patient's point of view), I was eternally grateful to doctors in hospitals who, it seemed, spent days and nights in there. I admit though, the thought of their personal life did come to my mind. Nothing, - nothing - ever indicated that they thought about anything else whatsoever other than this particular pediatric ICU unit. 48 hours, 72 hours later - they were still there. I'm sure they had some bird sleep in a side room.

Such dedication to a single purpose is something many people strive for. So in that sense, they are luckier than many. Maybe, they have sublimated other parts of their life for this type of work.

As a mother of a child you would like to see THAT, nothing less. But less urgent specialties like neurology have more office-like hours.

I'm sure much of their personal partners come from within the same environment, - doctors, nurses.
The only non emergency specialties are going to run along the lines of allergists, dermatologists, podiatrists, orthodontists, and perhaps those few who are going into the "vein reamoval"...

Even plastic surgeons (if on a call schedule) will be asked to come in for emergency reconstructives after traumas.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 21,355 times
Hmmm… It looks like 50% of men/women think long hours, 10+ years of schooling, massive debt from student loans, measly residency pay is a huge turn-off. The other 50% is like “yea, I would totally date a doctor”, and but seem like they are most attracted to the money/status. Looks like a loss/loss situation to me. Any more words of advice or comments?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Seriously, follow your passion because if you don't, you will be miserable. If you are happy you will be more apt to find someone to share your life with.

Focus on school right now.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Seriously, follow your passion because if you don't, you will be miserable. If you are happy you will be more apt to find someone to share your life with.

Focus on school right now.
Yeah. Seems like the OP could be too young to see what's more important? Who on earth would be choosing engineering or farming, depending on how attractive this profession would be for mates?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Yeah. Seems like the OP could be too young to see what's more important? Who on earth would be choosing engineering or farming, depending on how attractive this profession would be for mates?
If I were a doctor, I'll stalk every nurse <daydreams>

Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
If I were a doctor, I'll stalk every nurse <daydreams>
Nurse Ratched is available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships