Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Have to agree 100%!
My wife snores, and sometimes loud. All I do is wake her up and ask her to turn over (away from me) and she does. Then her snoring goes down to a "purr" of a snore that I can handle. We would NEVER consider sleeping in different beds or bedrooms.......BUT, that is the way our marriage is!
And, when people see/hear something they think is "odd/not in the norm", sometimes they will say something about it. I have a "curious state" in my personality.....doesn't bother my wife (thank God!).
Actually, wife and I have had people comment to us about how much time we spend together when not working. We don't get angry about their "wondering", we simply say "we are very compatable and like a lot of the same things!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, I do not understand just accepting this snoring situation - people need to seek help for that and not give up sleeping with their spouses over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have to agree 100%!
My wife snores, and sometimes loud. All I do is wake her up and ask her to turn over (away from me) and she does. Then her snoring goes down to a "purr" of a snore that I can handle. We would NEVER consider sleeping in different beds or bedrooms.......BUT, that is the way our marriage is!
And, when people see/hear something they think is "odd/not in the norm", sometimes they will say something about it. I have a "curious state" in my personality.....doesn't bother my wife (thank God!).
Actually, wife and I have had people comment to us about how much time we spend together when not working. We don't get angry about their "wondering", we simply say "we are very compatable and like a lot of the same things!"
I guess many people don't think it's normal because not so long ago husband and wife were sleeping and separate beds. I guess you don't have to be tangled in the sheets to love your spouse - that being said I'd take any medical treatments necessary before I give up my cuddle time

Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have to agree 100%!
Eh, I think it depends on the people and situation. I deal with my SO's snoring to the point I purchase those nose strips, religiously. They help somewhat. I still have to poke, or shake a shoulder and sometimes if I'm really cranky due to the snoring I'll start tugging on her pillow which is a sure fire way to get her to turn over.

The poking, shaking and even toe nudges make her wake up in a start and go "What?!" Often, it is not worth it to me to do. A pillow over my head helps somewhat but I have issues with not being able to breathe cool fresh air and I am an insomniac. Some nights the couch is the best option for me because if the snoring is really bad I'm not going to be able to fall asleep for love nor money. Sometimes at 3 in the morning I dang sure would consider a second bedroom if I thought I could get away with it.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
No way. Saying that to your face is extremely disrespectful and mean BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Recently some distant relatives and old friends who have not seen us for a long time came to visit. When we showed them around the house of course they noticed that Jerry and I sleep in separate rooms. They acted all strange and suggested we must be in a marriage of convenience or gay and just married to look good. They were quite bold and told us that a loving couple do not sleep in separate rooms.

We have to because he snores so bad and we have completely different sleep schedules and we can not sleep with our insomnia in the same bed.

Are we that strange?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:23 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Up to 50 years ago couples would traditionally sleep in separate rooms if they were able to afford it. What changed?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 AM

416 posts, read 407,829 times
If you don't want to be ridiculed, you shouldn't have told them.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Eh, I think it depends on the people and situation. I deal with my SO's snoring to the point I purchase those nose strips, religiously. They help somewhat. I still have to poke, or shake a shoulder and sometimes if I'm really cranky due to the snoring I'll start tugging on her pillow which is a sure fire way to get her to turn over. The poking, shaking and even toe nudges make her wake up in a start and go "What?!" Often, it is not worth it to me to do. A pillow over my head helps somewhat but I have issues with not being able to breathe cool fresh air and I am an insomniac. Some nights the couch is the best option for me because if the snoring is really bad I'm not going to be able to fall asleep for love nor money. Sometimes at 3 in the morning I dang sure would consider a second bedroom if I thought I could get away with it.
Your poking, shaking, nudging and putting a pillow over your head sounds like the way my husband and I were. To give you an idea of how LOUD he is, my son, his wife and I were out in the driveway talking. We had just been swimming in our pool and they were getting ready to go home. My husband had come into the house to "feed the pets" and had sat down and fallen asleep. My son looks up at the bedroom window and says, "what the hell is that noise".....it was my husband snoring. My son could hear him with all the windows closed (we have central air).

Everytime you poke, shake, nudge, ask your wife to roll over, you are losing sleep. Everytime you have to get up and move to a different location because of the noise, you are losing sleep. Count sometime how many minutes you are out of bed and how long it takes you to get back to sleep. Subtract that from an 8 hour recommended sleep night and see just how much you lose. My husband not only snores, but he has sleep apnea. I was constantly awake when he slept with me worrying about him and his breathing. He would snore like a crazed maniac then stop breathing for at least 15 to 20 seconds and it was over and over and over. Scared me to death. He technically wasn't sleeping and neither was I. So....he went on a diet and lost 60 pounds which helped some and sleeps sitting up for the most part but has to sleep in a chair because he also has a hip problem (having surgery in the fall). It has been insane.

Sleep? Yes we are both getting more than before and are feeling much better and still love each other more than life. Take some time to research what problems lack of sleep can create for you. One thing of great importance with regard to gretting enough sleep is the fact that your immune system gets boosted each time you do get enough sleep.

Good luck with the snoring thing...I know how miserable it can be to get rest but there are remedies none of which will ruin anyone's marriage.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
You should not give a fig what they think . They dont pay your bills or put clothes on your back so why do you care what they think . If they were true friends they would not poke fun or talk behind your back .

Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Are we that strange?
No - not at all. I used to get up in the middle of the night and go sleep on the sofa, every flippin' night. My ex snored like a darn train and there was no way I could sleep with him in the same room.

Separate bedrooms would be just fine with me, if the SO snores. I just can't sleep though it.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
The media tells us that we have to share a bed, have sex daily, look like a fashion model, an be like Tiger Woods (bi racial), or we are nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Really? When did they tell us this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Yeah I obviously missed that announcement too
Yeah...me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes and no. Yes, you and your husband are strange - but not because of the separate rooms gig.
ROFL! Tried to rep ya for that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships