Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,186,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So basically, you're saying that the older you get, the more you're willing to lower your standards if the woman is young enough. Guys like you give the rest of a bad reputation. Now we have to deal with people like Beena above who assume all men are pigs that would gladly sleep with a plain 20something girl instead of a sophisticated 30something woman. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm sure her opinion before was awesome, this just crushed it outright for her. Please, she was just looking for justification, same as you are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Proof it's not true. There's a lot of hope out there.
But there are a lot of people out there so jaded that they generalize about the opposite sex. This is one reason relations between the sexes is so bad. Both sides let the bad apples turn them into cynics and paint everyone with the same brush.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,976,957 times
Well I don't judge all apples on the tree by the bad ones and I don't think I'm the exception. I think the ones who do just put a bad taste in people's mouths. Sorry for all the food analogies. I think I'm hungry.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
mwv mwv started this thread

207 posts, read 672,767 times
Quote:
So basically, you're saying that the older you get, the more you're willing to lower your standards if the woman is young enough. Guys like you give the rest of a bad reputation. Now we have to deal with people like Beena above who assume all men are pigs that would gladly sleep with a plain 20something girl instead of a sophisticated 30something woman. Thanks.
No, I'd say a sophisticated 30s woman is equal to a plain 20-something. This is a gross simplification but conveys the underlying point.

I would add though that many so-called sophisticated women are not as deep as they like to think - there tends to be an association between charm and taking on certain attitudes and expensive affectation and the self-given sobriquet of "sophisticated."

A 30s woman who has depth and breadth from genuine education and considered life experiences isn't much more common than a late 20s women of similar comportment.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
But there are a lot of people out there so jaded that they generalize about the opposite sex. This is one reason relations between the sexes is so bad. Both sides let the bad apples turn them into cynics and paint everyone with the same brush.
I don't have problems with relations between the sexes, if some gal is jaded, bitter or wary I will pick up on that and won't date her but rather someone who isn't. Problem solved.

The people that are negative and distrustful are just hurting themselves with a glass 1/2 full attitude.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,354,560 times
The OP has just stated what most normal guys are afraid to say, sounds offensive but it is the truth.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
There isn't any "plan." You're over-think the reality of the experience I am communicating.

In short, average-looking women relative to their age are more attractive (and available) to me now if they're a lot younger than I am; and I find them more attractive than women who are the same age as myself and the same "attractiveness number" as I am.

[The purpose of "numbers" is meant to boil down attractive-ness for the purpose of my discussion, not to belabor them.]

If other guys over 30 don't experience the same phenomenon, perhaps I'm just unusual.
Different strokes for different folks.
I think the key clarification you made here is that in fairness an average looking 25 yo will be better looking than an average looking 40yo. I can't refute that, it's true for guys or gals.
In a way I agree with you, I just have different or additional criteria.
I basically date gals around my age (39) that are hot.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,176,838 times
Rating people on a numbers system is pretty crass all by itself...not to mention using looks as your only dating criteria...but I'm not your mother.

That being said - as we all get older and fatter and wrinklier - we tend to appreciate the signs of youth in anyone who is younger than we are. It's pretty normal, I think.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,976,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Rating people on a numbers system is pretty crass all by itself...not to mention using looks as your only dating criteria...but I'm not your mother.

That being said - as we all get older and fatter and wrinklier - we tend to appreciate the signs of youth in anyone who is younger than we are. It's pretty normal, I think.
Yeah, but people whose dates get younger as they, themselves, get older don't seem to realize, the smooth skin standing beside them makes their's look even wrinklier.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,354,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post

I think the point to this thread is the older he gets, the more attracted he is to women who he normally wouldn't find attractive when younger. As you age your taste changes, perception changes, and your requirements change. This is something most single people experience as they age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships