Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

If you can`t be "yourself" then, who in the hell are you gonna pretend to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:00 PM

295 posts, read 837,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I think there is a difference between "not being one's self" and "putting your best foot forward". By being yourself, it means not pretending to be someone different then you really are, with different intrests, different lifestyle, different views etc.

I mean, you can put your best foot forward, but just make sure it's still YOUR FOOT

I never thought I would live to see the day where VP gave great advice. Kudos!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
my next to favorite is the gal that sees my car and says wow you drive a car just like harry belafonte, the temptation to start singing banana boat, is overwhelming.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
I think the author that article is clueless. I think being yourself is harder than it sounds so most people are unable to do it under certain circumstances. They try, but they end up trying to impress and people see through that. I know one guy who's always able to be himself--he's not outstanding looking or rich or anything but he's got the greatest attitude--and he has people come to him. I say hit the delete button on this article and really be yourself. If you don't and you get someone by being something other than, they'll eventually see yourself and it will appear you were being fake. Being yourself is the best tool for weeding out the waste-of-timers.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:03 PM

491 posts, read 925,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
It's not about putting on pretenses or being someone else, it's about improving yourself to get what you want out of life. If someone wants to be a millionare for example, just "being yourself" ain't gonna cut it. If just being yourself isn't getting you what you want,you have to take a good look at yourself and see where you are lacking.
I don't view relationships with that kind of competitive edge. I agree with another poster that pretenses wear thin, and your true self begins to show, eventually.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Because most people who view relationships as more than just getting someone in the sack don't visit "sosuave.com"?
False.

Quote:
Taken for what it is, it's a fascinating principle. If someone is "just being himself", it definitely takes away from the fantasy that most people like to have when they have a purely sexual relationship. After all, a woman who is looking at you as merely a piece of meat probably doesn't want to know that you have a tendency to cry when you see those "Save the Children" commercials on TV.

If, however, you're looking at wanting more than just a couple of hours of hot animalistic sex a week, these things will come out. Being fake doesn't make for a good foundation for a long-term relationship. Aside from which, it gets REALLY tiring to keep up a facade for that long.
Again, this is false. This thread isn't saying you should pretend to be somebody else but rather that you need to hone your skills and qualities with the parameters of your personality. There are very few people out there who figure this stuff out on their own. Most people need help and instructions on how to do this.

Have you ever gone out and actually watched people, especially guys, try to pick people up? Most of them range from marginally ineffective to embarrassingly pathetic. That is why those of us learn how this game works are generally the 10% of the men who do 90% of the ****ing.

You don't have to be somebody else to be desirable, you just have to obtain desirable qualities.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
If you burp and fart in people's faces on a regular daily basis, then yes, I could see where "being yourself" could be a bit of a problem.
You read my mind. Some people should never leave the house.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
I guess it would depend what you are like when you're just being yourself.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
LMAO. You're taking advice from a site called SoSuave?
Those "get laid" videos didn't help much?

Or the new forum?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM

491 posts, read 925,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That is why those of us learn how this game works are generally the 10% of the men who do 90% of the ****ing.
Yes, you belong to a special, elite class of man whores. You must be proud. What, with your "Welcome to the club, brother" pronouncements of crude virility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships