Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't believe in some cheesy, arbitrary scale, but at the same time anybody who says that appearances are not an unimportant part of a person's overall attractiveness is selling a bunch of baloney.

Let me put it this way. You are at a party. Two guys approach you at various times. Both have fun personalities and both seem to have great manners. One is a guy who looks great and is obviously physically fit. The other guy weighs 320 pounds, has greasy hair and bad complexion, and is missing a couple of teeth. Both guys call you up the next day, and both invite you to attend a music festival the following weekend.

Which guy do you choose? Yeah, I thought so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I don't believe in some cheesy, arbitrary scale, but at the same time anybody who says that appearances are not an unimportant part of a person's overall attractiveness is selling a bunch of baloney.

Let me put it this way. You are at a party. Two guys approach you at various times. Both have fun personalities and both seem to have great manners. One is a guy who looks great and is obviously physically fit. The other guy weighs 320 pounds, has greasy hair and bad complexion, and is missing a couple of teeth. Both guys call you up the next day, and both invite you to attend a music festival the following weekend.

Which guy do you choose? Yeah, I thought so.
The fat sweaty guy??

I get your point.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I notice a lot of people here rating people's looks with numbers. They talk about someone being an "8" or a "4", or whatever. It seems men in particular like to rate women with their male friends and use this terminology as if there is some universal scale.

Is this something that you do? What is your thinking about this?
I agree that judging people is crass, particularly when you make these judgements publicly known. But.. human beings are often this way.

Quote:
Personally, I find the whole concept repugnant.
In all seriousness, I find your repulsiveness repulsive. Seems like hypocrisy to me, a rationalization of your own style of judging, or worse - the delusion that you do not judge others - while you condemn someone else's style of judging.

There is no moral difference between a qualitative judgement of a person (Hot, sort of hot, average, ugly as sin, good enough for me, not good enough for me..)

..and a quantitative one (scale of 1-10, or a letter grade rating). At most it is a matter of taste.

Quote:
Reducing someone to a number is sheer objectification.
What is even the point?
It implies there is an objective standard of beauty (of which there is little to none, outside of the appearance of health), promotes a value based solely on appearance, and discourages individual taste.
If I say, "Jane is attractive", I am not espousing an objective standard of beauty, I am not discouraging anyone's taste, I am simply communicating my personal opinion.

Personality and character are aspects of someone's attractiveness, so it would be a big assumption to say that I was only referring to her physical appearance.

Last edited by le roi; 06-28-2009 at 08:10 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Peoples looks...

Makes me want to be celiabate...

What is it they say, looks are like butholes,

everyone has one.

I thought the saying was "Opinions are like buttholes; everybody has one."
Your version doesn't entirely make sense, or at least I'm not able to make any sense out of it.
Perhaps it's still too early in the morning.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I notice a lot of people here rating people's looks with numbers. They talk about someone being an "8" or a "4", or whatever. It seems men in particular like to rate women with their male friends and use this terminology as if there is some universal scale.

Is this something that you do? What is your thinking about this?

---------------

Personally, I find the whole concept repugnant.
Reducing someone to a number is sheer objectification.
What is even the point?
It implies there is an objective standard of beauty (of which there is little to none, outside of the appearance of health), promotes a value based solely on appearance, and discourages individual taste.

To me, it's almost a power thing. People get some kind of enjoyment from degrading a person to others, and whether you're a 0 or a 10, it's a degradation from complex individual to eye candy.
It's been going on forever. Not that that makes it right--or wrong. It's just that it's nothing new. <shrug> I don't really care. It's the ones who refuse to allow themselves to get to know someone because they're not a certain number that I find shallow and repugnant.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
I never got inot that,im either attracted to somebody and think theyre attractive or not but obviously theres different reactions to different people..One girl might get the wow shes really cute repsonse in my head and another i might think Holy S!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I never got inot that,im either attracted to somebody and think theyre attractive or not
Yeah, that's about it. The only exception to me would be loving somebody's mind without having any idea what body houses it. In this case I can make concessions - within reason, of course, lol.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:51 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, that's about it. The only exception to me would be loving somebody's mind without having any idea what body houses it. In this case I can make concessions - within reason, of course, lol.
Fair point i hear you lol

But yeah i just never got into the ratings thing,plus i have a pretty diverse taste in women,while obviously hot ones turn me on theres plan girls i look at who people may think are somewhat cute or ok and for some reason im amazignly turned on by them

LAst night i was at a bar and found 75% of the girls i passed by to be somwhat attracted to[pre alcohol] might just mean im just a horndog lol but i do find beauty in allot of women and try to let em know without being creepy,i just give that semi shy semi smooth smile and i seemed to get allot in return which feels good

Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I thought the saying was "Opinions are like buttholes; everybody has one."
Your version doesn't entirely make sense, or at least I'm not able to make any sense out of it.
Perhaps it's still too early in the morning.
Yes, it is opinions, I just took some liberties with it.

Last edited by Chowhound; 06-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Tay po

Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
People will always form opinions about our looks, whether they ever express it to us or not. Often times, looks is what give us our first impression of someone and get us interested in someone in the first place before moving on to meeting them or talking with that person.

But, we might as well face it....myself and others....some folks will think we're attractive while others won't give us a second look. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships