Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think the people who get it, get the need are probably older and have moved around. Both make it harder, combine the two and its twice as hard.
If there are dating sites (reputable if there even is such a thing) I would like to know.

Why not just date through coed sports then?
I don't play sports either but have gone birdwatching and kayaking with a small group - people come, they do, they go back to their families. I'm not saying it might happen, but its hit or miss.
Giesela, I get what you are saying. Moving around and getting older can and do have an impact on making new friends. Your list of personal interests do also, unless you enjoy team/group activities, like sports.

Moving away from the familiar is obvious. You've lost your network of contacts and have to start fresh. Starting over in a new city is tough as it is, then add having to try and meet folks you would like to be friends with and it adds a new element of stress. There's so much more to true friendship other than having a similar interest. It's like dating in a way. Trying to find somebody that you click with and enjoy their company.

Some of us are more particular about who we call "Friend" as opposed to "Aquaintance." I KNOW plenty of people but after some interaction, I can usually determine if they are someone I want to spend any quality time with. Frankly, the list is pretty short. Like you, I would like to find other options to meeting new friends besides Church and Volunteering. I have no interest in either.

IMHO, I see many folks who are very wrapped up in their spouse and kids that there is little to no room for others. I've met other women that I tried to get to know but they couldn't break away from their family long enough to establish any kind of friendship. Funny thing is, I'm pretty low maintenance. I don't need to talk to my girlfriends daily or see them every week, yet it is still so hard to find other gals who can squeeze in a monthly chat on the phone, much less lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
For some of us, our lives revolve around work and our S.O...and nothing else. We drop any hobbies we might have, let acquaintances fall away, and concentrate on those things that we feel we should concentrate on. Our work, and the one person we need in our life.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Will you take me to my proctologist appointment and hold my hand as he does the examination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
For $50 ill even take you to the airport...most friends wont even do that.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Giesela, I get what you are saying. Moving around and getting older can and do have an impact on making new friends. Your list of personal interests do also, unless you enjoy team/group activities, like sports.

Moving away from the familiar is obvious. You've lost your network of contacts and have to start fresh. Starting over in a new city is tough as it is, then add having to try and meet folks you would like to be friends with and it adds a new element of stress. There's so much more to true friendship other than having a similar interest. It's like dating in a way. Trying to find somebody that you click with and enjoy their company.

Some of us are more particular about who we call "Friend" as opposed to "Aquaintance." I KNOW plenty of people but after some interaction, I can usually determine if they are someone I want to spend any quality time with. Frankly, the list is pretty short. Like you, I would like to find other options to meeting new friends besides Church and Volunteering. I have no interest in either.

IMHO, I see many folks who are very wrapped up in their spouse and kids that there is little to no room for others. I've met other women that I tried to get to know but they couldn't break away from their family long enough to establish any kind of friendship. Funny thing is, I'm pretty low maintenance. I don't need to talk to my girlfriends daily or see them every week, yet it is still so hard to find other gals who can squeeze in a monthly chat on the phone, much less lunch.
Exactly! Wish I had the know how and money to spare to give a friends service a shot. I wonder.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Please reread my question. I asked "What other reason would there be for joining a group on a social networking site?" I did NOT ask what other reason there was for joining a social networking site but rather, for joining a city-specific group on such social networking site. I am already a member of Facebook because like you, it helps me keep in touch with my friends and family - but I could join a Facebook GROUP for Manchester, England and meet new people in my city. What other reason would there be for me joining that group if not to meet new people in my city? No, not everyone uses these city-specific groups but they are there and sometimes have hundreds of members who are obviously looking to chat to and possibly meet new people in their city.
Good point, and thanks for clarifying. Yes...you could certainly use the group feature to meet new people. I never use that feature since it's not why I'm on the site, so I had forgotten about it.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Sometimes volunteering for things is a great way to meet pretty good people. You can meet people at work, church, and so on - but even in those places sometimes to have social events, people are needed to get those off the ground.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

It's easy to be a smart as* when you've spent your younger years in a totally different environment!...
Being a successful smartass depends more on how you perceive the present than on how you experienced the past.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I never see people suggesting civic clubs, etc., such as Jaycees, Lions and Rotary; some people like Toastmasters, some scouting. Some of my friends are in a fishing club. For years I was heavily involved in our local chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Assoc. (no need to be a pilot). In my younger years I was a member of a car club. Sports is a good one, and you needn't be an athlete to play city-league slow-pitch softball, volleyball, and let's not forget golf -- show up for men's day or ladies day and you'll be placed in a group of four.

I think the reason it's hard to find friends these days is because it's easier to sit in front of the computer and chat with people we'll probably never see. We get our "fix" without having to change out of our robe and slippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships