Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I'm 27.
But I realized at 15 that email was a godsend for a painfully shy person like me. I've gotten a lot better in the last 10 years, but I still have a difficult time, and I'm still not a fan of using the phone. I will always prefer talking to people in person than through an electronic device (phone, email, text, etc.)

I absolutely don't see how it's disrespectful or lazy, it's just different.
Email is great for shy people. I'm pretty reserved too. If I met someone in person at a party, I'd have a hard time making conversation. But if I were chatting with them over email, I'd be a lot less reserved. But don't you see what's wrong with that? I'm more or less hiding behind my computer. Sure it helps me communicate, but I'm also using it as a crutch.

I really don't know how to explain that it's disrespectful. But if someone tells you it is, take their word for it and if you value them, make the effort to change. You say it's just a different way of communicating, but maybe that's just because you're used to it. Try putting yourself in the shoes of the other person. Most of my friends and family are over 30 and they all find texting to be disrespectful in certain situations, situations that I've noticed people under 30 don't think twice about. Seriously, if a guy sent you flowers, would you really text him "thank you."? Don't you think he deserves a little more effort on your part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i hope its not.

if so, our social graces are deeply lacking (as a society i mean). who does that? text to get to know someone? thats just wierd.

get on the phone and talk!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I never liked texting in place of real conversation.

I much preferred to speak over the phone, email or even IM. That way you can at least write unlimited. It's too hard to text a whole convo.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM

213 posts, read 672,206 times
I guess unless that person is someone that you have a mutual friendship with and you know for a fact they hate using the phone I can understand texting. I have a friend like that as well every day no lie every single day he texts me, "good morning" then its "how is your day going" then its "ok" and then the cycle repeats itself everyday after that. No in between conversation or nothing. At first i thought it was sweet, then i thought about it. He probably has that programed in his phone and he just forwards it to everybody, at first it bothered me but then i realized it was just his way of keeping in touch with the world. I tried doing that but after a while it didn't feel genuine, but more like a job.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I have a friend like that as well every day no lie every single day he texts me, "good morning" then its "how is your day going" then its "ok" and then the cycle repeats itself everyday after that. No in between conversation or nothing. At first i thought it was sweet, then i thought about it. He probably has that programed in his phone and he just forwards it to everybody, at first it bothered me but then i realized it was just his way of keeping in touch with the world. I tried doing that but after a while it didn't feel genuine, but more like a job.
I had a friend who was like this except it was over email. She'd email very short messages so it was almost the same thing as texting. "Morning", "How's your day going?" and maybe one more question and at the end of the day, it would be "Have a good evening." Sure it was nice that she thought enough of me to email, but after a while, it seemed she was doing out of obligation. Our culture seems to be encouraging people to talk in this overly compressed way. Just look at something like Twitter. 140 characters or less? I know being concise is a good quality, but the English language is pretty rich and lets you express quite a lot. But few people seem to want to take advantage of that anymore.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM

306 posts, read 531,081 times
I feel you... Texting is the easy way out. It takes almost no effort. I usually tell people don't text me, just call me or email me. But they text anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
It's funny. I go out and meet nice guys but instead of calling me so we can have a nice conversation over the phone. They would rather text me..personally i think that is just pure laziness and i don't even respond. I even had someone go so far as to text me saying" hey do you have a myspace or facebook page, i want to learn more about you"...lol i said why don't you just ask me to order you a background check wouldn't that be easier, dang. You got my number anything you want to know why not just ask the source.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM

306 posts, read 531,081 times
And how about text fighting? lol. That's my favorite.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Texting sure is lazy. Talking on the phone is lazy as well.

I communicate only through love letters, written in calligraphy, containing a lock of my chest hair, sealed in wax with the family crest, delivered by Lawrence, my personal courier.
LMFAO....Too bad you weren't 10 years older...or I wasn't ten years younger!! I enjoy you for some reason...

Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,229 times
This month i think i used like 155 minutes and 4200 texts

Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
phone phobia - Google Search

maybe phobia is a strong word, but it's definitely an anxiety.
my boss had me cold call people for sales one time and I spent an hour being anxious about it before I could dial one number through.

but obviously I'm just stupid AND lazy! THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW!
Cold calling for business is COMPLETELY different than calling someone you know.

Texting has just become another crutch for the ever-expanding anti-social world. "Phone phobia" is just a lame excuse.

There is no excuse to rely so much on texting, especially when you're supposed to be getting to know someone. Anyone like the OP describes wouldn't last long with me. If you don't show me enough consideration to actually TALK with me, feel free to move on to someone who shares your lack of respect for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships