Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I hope not, because I really need a woman to take care of me.
see, that comment really disturbs me, and I mean no insult...but why? Why can't you take care of yourself?

when I was still dating, there were so many men who felt like that...they didn't care if I had something to say, they didn't even take the time to ask me who I was, what I liked, what were my passions and goals in life, they were simply looking for SOMEONE to take care of them? To me, that spells, needy and codependency. It's not difficult to do laundry, shopping, ironing, and cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:57 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth the W8 View Post
Interesting how some take pleasure in "waiting" on a spouse as a loving and appreciated gesture. While other see it as an act of subservience beneath a spouse only fitting for a servant master relationship.
No, your wording is what is the problem. I, and most women I know, very much enjoy making our husbands/boyfriends feel loved, taken care of, and special. That could involve cooking dinner (for those that cook), ironing his shirt (I hate ironing, but I'd iron my man's shirt if needed), babying them when sick (a frequent occurence for my ex ), etc. etc. etc.

But when you start using verbage such as "obedience", and "daddy figure", that conjures up scenarios that are unpleasant for most women. That kind of relationship is rarely a healthy one.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
There's something just so incestuous about a husband trying to be your daddy. It's just gross!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, your wording is what is the problem. I, and most women I know, very much enjoy making our husbands/boyfriends feel loved, taken care of, and special. That could involve cooking dinner (for those that cook), ironing his shirt (I hate ironing, but I'd iron my man's shirt if needed), babying them when sick (a frequent occurence for my ex ), etc. etc. etc.

But when you start using verbage such as "obedience", and "daddy figure", that conjures up scenarios that are unpleasant for most women. That kind of relationship is rarely a healthy one.

Boy I so agree...I believe most women enjoy doing for their man, b/c their men give back...but calling it obedience...goes against my grain...it's like we're back in Biblical times...? And daddy, no, not for me...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I take care of myself, and my husband, but yeah...he does things around here that is a big help as well.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
OP: No one is saying that being financially dependent on the husband makes a woman inferior -- it just creates a situation where she is more likely to be treated as an inferior, someone whose opinion weighs less, someone whose feelings are less important, and in general, someone who has no identity of her own, but exists merely as an accessory and house servant to the husband. Or, at best, as an honorary child.

It bears noting that many of the arguments in favor of subordination in marriage are the same as arguments that were once advanced in defense of slavery. It has been argued that in the ideal situation, slaves are treated like members of the family. A good master will protect the slave, give him clothing and shelter and comfort. A slave never has to worry about paying bills or keeping the family afloat. All the slave has to do is keep the house tidy, the cotton tended to, and dinner ready at 6 PM on the dot -- that's it. And it doesn't mean a slave is inferior -- surely, where would masters be without loving, dependable and obedient slaves? Shells of themselves, for sure.
--------------------------------------------

Your musings are all very romantic-sounding, but let's consider alternatives here. It has been said, for example, that the best protection a woman could have from the ills of the world is a little money of her own. So, let's say I have a choice: would I rather have a man protect me, or would I rather have money protect me? Keep in mind, we are only talking about protection now. The answer for me is a no-brainer: money, of course. Money is great -- loyal, dependable, low-maintenance, and can accomplish virtually anything that's at least physically possible (and some things that aren't). And I don't have to cook my money dinner.

And from the man's perspective as well: if he is looking for someone to take care of the house, launder his clothes and cook his meals, the best option for him is to just hire a butler or a staff of servants. It's an arms' length transaction that doesn't involve any of the difficulties of marriage.

I would feel like a slave if I was forced to do it. But a marriage is optional here in the US (unlike some 3rd world countries). I would want to spoil him regardless of weather I had a job or not. So slavery is too harsh a word. And subservient is also too harsh a word since as a marriage we are automatically equals. Nobody forces anyone to do anything here in the US. If somebody tries, they get put in jail. Slavery is illegal here. And if you think about it, many housewives are not working their butt off every single day if there are no kids, if anything, the men are the ones putting in the hours on a daily basis without many breaks just to make sure he and his wife are financially secure. If he wants her to stay at home and she agrees, its called an agreement. If suddenly she wants to work, then if he is a good husband, he will agree. But he doesnt hold the legal power to make her not work. So thats why marriage is all about agreements. And agreements are not slavery.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Then it shouldn't be a problem to disclose so spill it....
You must think he's stupid too.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
You're about 30 years out of date. In the early period of the modern womens' movement - the pre-AIDS era - young women thought that the main mistake that their mother's had made was not holding out for (or more accurately actively stalking) this kind of guy. Consequently, these were banner years for such men, who could easily remain players, year after year and never commit. Antibiotics were expected to make everything OK in the end.

Now its more like: " I always went for suave, sophisticated, intelligent and kind. Oh - and built like nobody's business!!!" Today's woman is nobody's fool. She knows if she wants such a man, she'll need to support HIM. Hense, the massive increase in their attendance in post secondary education. For men who can meet these exacting standards, or more likely fake them effectively, their motto is "why worry, be happy".

NotARedneck actually had something interesting to say.
But it seems the ladies here aren't interested in anything
that can't be answered with "I don't need no stinkin' man'
or some other version of that old favorite. Girls, remove
the stick. It's obviously restricting flow to thinking parts.

Any reason why none of you have posted your photo?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Perhaps we'll consider removing the stick if you stop thinking with your Johnson.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
What part of my post stated that??

Quote:
Any reason why none of you have posted your photo?
How is that related to the OP's question? And as your pic is rather useless, what's YOUR reason??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships