Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I understand and agree with you, but that's just a casual short meeting out in public... It's not like the kid will remember or care who that was.
I kinda think you're missing the point here...

The point is that since they are so strongly attracted to each other, and the OP himself said that it doesn't feel short term, that they would probably be spending more time together, not just a one time deal, and that's where the kid would get used to seeing the guy around, and hence feel some loss if he's gone.

That's why she should wait till he may be a "keeper" then maybe she should think about bringing the guy around.

Children learn by example. If they see a lot of in and out activity in their parents lives, they may view relationships as just something to toss if it becomes inconvenient.

This is really a simple idea that I'm surprised people aren't getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I kinda think you're missing the point here...

The point is that since they are so strongly attracted to each other, and the OP himself said that it doesn't feel short term, that they would probably be spending more time together, not just a one time deal, and that's where the kid would get used to seeing the guy around, and hence feel some loss if he's gone.

That's why she should wait till he may be a "keeper" then maybe she should think about bringing the guy around.

Children learn by example. If they see a lot of in and out activity in their parents lives, they may view relationships as just something to toss if it becomes inconvenient.

This is really a simple idea that I'm surprised people aren't getting.
Oh, I absolutely get this! I just must've not read carefully.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
I usually keep my son in a ZipLoc bag until I'm sure the people around me check out.

I don't think it's as black/white as people are making it. She may not have a reliable sitter situation where she can leave her child with a family member or friend while she goes out. Maybe she's letting him know up front - my kid is always going to be around. At her age though and with her son being as old as he is, it's quite possible that she has a lot of friends and he's used to being around people. As long as they weren't getting physical in front of the kid - I don't see it as a problem. Now if she brings him home the next day and they sit around watching movies and eating popcorn...then I'd think she was a screw lose. We can't really tell from the OP's comments what her intentions were when she chose to introduce them so quickly.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 PM

34 posts, read 54,849 times
So..... A week later. My family came to town. I had told this to the girl. I called her pretty much every day to see how her day went/keep in touch with to make sure this didn't slip through somehow. Anyways, we had talked about going on a date this last Saturday and I offered to cover for a babysitter since I wanted to take her out to dinner/movie i.e. an early night. Three days before Saturday, she randomly stopped answering my phone calls (1 a day end of the day type stuff). I got a message from her today (Sunday) saying that her phone took a dive for the worse and she wasn't able to get back to me until then. But.... she sent it in a text message form. So after all this thinking and all these posts..... I don't see anything coming out of this anymore. She either really wants to test my patience or isn't into me. Kind of day and night between how she was before and is now. I still would really like to be friends with her, but I guess what I am trying to say is that I am no longer going to be worried about all the small details (like whether I hang out with her and her kid or not).

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm probably gonna get bashed here for saying this, but I don't think she should have introduced you to her kid yet.

That doesn't seem like good judgment to me.

JMHO
yup, that's my opinion also

Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taavilez View Post
So..... A week later. My family came to town. I had told this to the girl. I called her pretty much every day to see how her day went/keep in touch with to make sure this didn't slip through somehow. Anyways, we had talked about going on a date this last Saturday and I offered to cover for a babysitter since I wanted to take her out to dinner/movie i.e. an early night. Three days before Saturday, she randomly stopped answering my phone calls (1 a day end of the day type stuff). I got a message from her today (Sunday) saying that her phone took a dive for the worse and she wasn't able to get back to me until then. But.... she sent it in a text message form. So after all this thinking and all these posts..... I don't see anything coming out of this anymore. She either really wants to test my patience or isn't into me. Kind of day and night between how she was before and is now. I still would really like to be friends with her, but I guess what I am trying to say is that I am no longer going to be worried about all the small details (like whether I hang out with her and her kid or not).
I'm lost - were you planning on introducing her to your family or just letting her know they were there so you wouldn't be able to see her that often. Maybe she sent that text to everyone in her phone to avoid explaining it to 60-11 people. When I lost my phone; I did the same thing when I got the replacement (even though my voice mail said "I lost my phone - call me at home") because I didn't have time (or the minutes) to call everyone individually. But hey if your infatuation is over - it's over. Just make sure you tell her you only want to be friends now in case she didn't get the memo.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
As a single mother, I find it highly irresponsible for a mother to introduce a child to a man she just met. Based on my own experiences with my kids, I prefer that they not meet the men I date, I think kids would probably get confused if mom had too many different men around. Perfect example, I had a boyfriend for two years before he ever met my kids...he came over to have dinner with us. As soon as he left, my kids were bugging me about marrying him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taavilez View Post
Basically, met a girl at a restaurant. Got along with her. Exchanged numbers. Texted the next day. Hung out at the beach with her and her son the next day, playing soccer and eating ice cream. Next day played basketball. Im 24. Shes 28. He's 7. Something clicked with her from the minute I met her. I normally wouldn't go for someone I knew had kids but I was getting a great vibe. It's just weird that I am not dating her yet and I have already met her kid. I just want to know if she likes me. Any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships