Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM

69 posts, read 78,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
You know it's really funny when people discuss law and they point out that you are a lawyer as a factor supposedly making you less competent to discuss the subject. Of course, of course -- what do doctors know about medicine?

Law deals with real life situations; and real life situations are never as simple as you want them to be. But apart from that, isn't this an acknowledgment that women don't, in fact, routinely take all their their ex-husbands' income or assets?
First, I apologise if it came across like I am questioning your competence, That's not my intention.
Second, what I showed you was how this could happen. Maybe the man did all these things you said but the primary reason she loses income is become she makes less, and she makes less because she is in a lower paying profession (we could debate whether teachers should make more). And ultimately she chose her profession (unless of course her husband somehow convinced her to do it).
How assets are divided is a completely different story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
This is nonsense and the so called research that "proved" it has been discredited a long time ago. Turns out it was completely bogus. The links to this have been on this site before.

All one has to do is use their head. No man can possibly be doing better when they lose naerly all of the assets that took most of a lifetime to build up and then have to fork over a portion of their income to support another household and often another man. Its just despicable to use this crap!

This is typical of nearly everything that the feminist lobby uses to support their cause and industry. Unsubstantiated lies.
The feminists have learned their lessons well from the propagandists of an earlier era. Joseph Goebbels never had to worry about backing up what he said. He just repeated it so many times that it was accepted as the truth by most Germans.

Unfortunately, in this case, "most" includes the politicians, the judiciary and nearly all major employers. Easier and less stressful politically to just go with the flow. Besides, these people are seldom hurt to the same extent as the average man.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca
You know it's really funny when people discuss law and they point out that you are a lawyer as a factor supposedly making you less competent to discuss the subject. Of course, of course -- what do doctors know about medicine?

Law deals with real life situations; and real life situations are never as simple as you want them to be. But apart from that, isn't this an acknowledgment that women don't, in fact, routinely take all their their ex-husbands' income or assets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqoica123 View Post
First, I apologise if it came across like I am questioning your competence, That's not my intention.
By all means, do question her competence. She's a lawyer after all, quoting "studies" by women's studies types with an axe to grind and an agenda to promote.

It takes an economist to get to the bottom of this concocted "research" and it also takes funding to do this. Such work is not considered politically correct and besides, there are so many other more important things to study than the inability of many women to select a mate who will give them a good settlement in divorce.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I am sorry he was a battered husband, but being battered does not and should not affect the amount that a person should contribute towards the support of his children. Surely, you aren't suggesting the children should be punished? As for the amount -- I don't know where your brother lives, but where I am, $600 would pay for a small fraction of actual costs of raising a child. My son's daycare is $1800 a month -- pretty standard around here, nothing fancy. So if I were to divorce and my husband were to pay me $600, this wouldn't even cover half the daycare bill. Just the daycare, mind you -- without factoring in food, clothing, medical expenses, etc. In other words, even with $600 a month in child support, I would still be providing the bulk of the financial support to my kid. So, unless your brother lives somewhere in the sticks where $600 is a lot of money, I wouldn't say he got "hammered".
Hi Redisca,

I was not introducing child justice into it. It was simply that $25 is not a likely scenario. Also ,my mistake, that was 20 years ago. So it would cover half the childcare for even a young child in those days. Also, the OP is from the stand point of being a happy single going into marriage.

It certainly caused me to hesitate. Puppy love did not grow into a loyal dog for me. At the time of my brother's divorce, I had it donated to a chemical company . Many years later, strangely, it had returned to its cruel master with its scorched fur, gnarled face, three legs, and wagging what remained of a hoary broth.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think child support should not be paid in cash. It should be paid in necessities for the child only. Diapers, daycare, insurance, school supplies, fees for sports activities, field trips, clothes, groceries, etc.

If I had to pay support, I would hate to hand over a check and not know where it's going. At least if I bought Huggies and baby food, I would know (or hope) that my ex was not using those for his benefit.
Now this is an idea I like. If the one supporting the child directly paid for daycare, then they could not complain that their ex was living large. If there is money left over after daycare (and seeing the numbers posted here for cs there would not be much left if the ex lived in a medium to large city or suburb of such a city) it could be credited to a grocery store gift card and/or a drug store card.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,956 times
As usual there is always a problem, this is the end result when things don't work out AFTER having kids. It's 2010 do we really need to be married and have kids? Yea I know it's the "Right" thing to do. Well if you don't have any then theres no problems in the department. I guess getting married, having kids and getting a divorce is "The Thing to do" So far I'm the dumb one since I don't want to get married and not have kids, but wait ONE day when everyones divorced I will be once again the SMART one!! "Your lucky you never had to go through this"

You'll see it will happen, in fact it already started....

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
As usual there is always a problem, this is the end result when things don't work out AFTER having kids. It's 2010 do we really need to be married and have kids? Yea I know it's the "Right" thing to do. Well if you don't have any then theres no problems in the department. I guess getting married, having kids and getting a divorce is "The Thing to do" So far I'm the dumb one since I don't want to get married and not have kids, but wait ONE day when everyones divorced I will be once again the SMART one!! "Your lucky you never had to go through this"

You'll see it will happen, in fact it already started....
Why do you care so much what everyone else decides to do with their life? If you don't want to get married and you don't want to have kids then don't. Problem solved. But it would seem beyond stupid to me to decide not to get married, not to have kids and then spend all your "happy" "enlightened" singledom energy worrying about, judging or belittling people who do or working up a superiority complex over it.

That's not smart at all. **shrug**

Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM

I see a few problems ....

A. The people that do get married and then compalin to ME about it!! I DON'T want to hear it! talk to someone that cares, DON'T tell me to do something and then later on cry to me your wife/husband is this that and the other!

B. I didn't tell you get married and have kids please don't tell me I need to! I don't need to OK?

C. Stop asking me when I will be having kids! It's pretty difficult to do that task ALONE! Ok I have NO gf so why ask when? I just don't get it.

This is no to anyone here this is what I get from friends and family. I basicaly tell them to F**k off.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
I see a few problems ....

A. The people that do get married and then compalin to ME about it!! I DON'T want to hear it! talk to someone that cares, DON'T tell me to do something and then later on cry to me your wife/husband is this that and the other!

B. I didn't tell you get married and have kids please don't tell me I need to! I don't need to OK?

C. Stop asking me when I will be having kids! It's pretty difficult to do that task ALONE! Ok I have NO gf so why ask when? I just don't get it.

This is no to anyone here this is what I get from friends and family. I basicaly tell them to F**k off.
Yes you do have a few problems, the not least of which is that you think that anyone else NOT in your immediate circle wants to hear you ***** and moan about this. I can appreciate that it's frustrating but you need to address these issue WITH THE PEOPLE you are dealing with.

And I do get that it's frustrating by the way but you're not doing yourself any favours by perpetuating it.
Remove yourself from the situation, change the subject, tell whomever presents you with some of these comments that you don't want to discuss it or your not available to be a whipping post on the issue but seriously you need to shut this down as it happens and not be ruminating over it later with others. It's such a waste of energy. If you're single go out there and get on with your life and strive to be happy. Holding this level of anger and frustration over something you don't want any part of is unhealthy.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Oh I do, as soon as I hear ah man my wife... I stop them before they finish, and I tell them if your going to say something bad about what your wife did.. don't! when I know someone is going to or is asking a stupid question I will not let them finish it. I tell them as soon as I start to hear it so I do kill it before it comes out of their mouth. You know when people are going to say something on a certain subject matter you know how to change the subject, well thats what I do. I also tell my married friends if you want to cry to someone do it to someone that can relate to your problems.

Besides I like B**ching here it's someplace to vent since everyone I know feels I should be M****ed, and I think NOT!!! haha I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but really it's a waste of money and time, for what? you can do the same stuff single with a gf/bf. Like I always say it makes for a cleaner break up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships