Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

I think there are many more who SAY they don't want to get married than there are those who really mean it. My wife and my late wife both told me early in our relationships that they didn't ever want to get married again. I think they just didn't want to scare away any guys. Either way, they changed their minds very early in our relationships, and it sure as heck wasn't because of all my money. (Counts... ten... eleven... twelve... eh... $27.13)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM

124 posts, read 328,910 times
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreeterww View Post
The problem is we have a 65% divorce rate and people are conditioned to think that marriages will fail. The truth is marriages fail because of selfishness and stubborness more then anything. Those are the personality traits that are most common in most marriages today. They think that once their are in love marriage will be a piece of cake. Flash alert to both genders!!!! You have to work hard to keep the love strong.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

421 posts, read 2,534,307 times
I'm sort of in the same boat when it comes to marriage as well. For me thought it's alittle different because people around me expect me to settle down and have kids, I'm in sorta of a family-oriented profession. I just turned 35 in early June and my life hasn't been better. Finished with graduate school, finished with residency, did my 6 years of military service, never been married, no children, and no crazy ex-girlfriends to speak of. Trust me when people see me they often wonder what the hell is wrong with this guy, how did he manage to stay under the radar all these years. Hey listen, I was stationed in anchorage alaska where the guy-to-girl ratio was like 40:1, there went 3.5 years there. College and graduate school took up most of my time so here I am. I'm not going to say I have no desire to get married, but it's not high up on my list of things to accomplish in life. I don't want children, so that may be the reason why I can't get many dates, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out marriage. As of right now, I'm absolutely content with my life and things couldn't be better.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM

168 posts, read 378,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_USA View Post
Well said
Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat when it comes to marriage as well. For me thought it's alittle different because people around me expect me to settle down and have kids, I'm in sorta of a family-oriented profession. I just turned 35 in early June and my life hasn't been better. Finished with graduate school, finished with residency, did my 6 years of military service, never been married, no children, and no crazy ex-girlfriends to speak of. Trust me when people see me they often wonder what the hell is wrong with this guy, how did he manage to stay under the radar all these years. Hey listen, I was stationed in anchorage alaska where the guy-to-girl ratio was like 40:1, there went 3.5 years there. College and graduate school took up most of my time so here I am. I'm not going to say I have no desire to get married, but it's not high up on my list of things to accomplish in life. I don't want children, so that may be the reason why I can't get many dates, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out marriage. As of right now, I'm absolutely content with my life and things couldn't be better.
Hmmmm......eh, give it a few more years, you might change your mind...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I want to get married, but just not to American women. They all more or less have the same snobbiness, lack of sophistication and charm, and strong sense of undeserved entitlement in all of them.

So yeah, I'll get married, but getting married to an American woman is a disaster waiting to happen.
And to this, my friend, I just have to say, whatever!! Do us all a favor, go get your mail-order bride as they are sooooo much better. Better yet, go live somewhere other than America, and you won't have to deal with us snobby, unsophisticated Americans without charm.

P.S. So charming of you to say so, btw.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
but many who have been thru a divorce or two are more than happy to stay unsettled.
I feel quite settled, thank you. I was unsettled when married.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

174 posts, read 374,180 times
I'm 39 and haven't married yet. I haven't dated in over 20 years. I was never involved with a girl for longer than two months. I am realistic enough not to say that I will never get married, but it seems very unlikely right now. It's partly because I am so reclusive, with so much social anxiety. And also, I'm not very attracted to people anymore, not with all of the blabbering and arguing going on around me.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth70 View Post
I'm 39 and haven't married yet. I haven't dated in over 20 years. I was never involved with a girl for longer than two months. I am realistic enough not to say that I will never get married, but it seems very unlikely right now. It's partly because I am so reclusive, with so much social anxiety. And also, I'm not very attracted to people anymore, not with all of the blabbering and arguing going on around me.
Get some help, Life is too short, trust me, I'm your age, and I don't want to waste another minute on silly things.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Get some help, Life is too short, trust me, I'm your age, and I don't want to waste another minute on silly things.
I just had a prophesy, Chow! Since you're balled & chained anyway , you might as well make it official on your big 40! I love to look at pics of romantic lil' weddings on a beautiful beach let's say...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships