Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I disagree. People cheat for all kinds of reasons. I think I'd take a step back and consider the person as a whole.

If the person was a sex addict and serial cheater and a liar, I'd probably not want anything to do with them.
People cheat for ONE reason. They're selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Mearth I guess the old sayings is true about the company a person keeps. If you lie down with dogs you will get fleas.
Yeppers!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
LOL.....now that's original. No one said it was okay. But this is to be expected of the moral klan. If you don't condemn everyone who does it and don't paint everyone's situation with one broad stroke, you're advocating it. Real intelligent.

The worms don't know one headstone from another when all is said and done.
Well said again.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
But, I'm not friends with anyone who cheats, or with anyone who even has OTHER friends who cheat. Overlooking a friend's cheating makes it more likely that person will cheat themselves.
I'm sorry, but that is just crazy.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
People cheat for ONE reason. They're selfish.

Mearth,

I saw your profile pic and you are young. I think if you were suddenly to find out all the people in your life who have had affairs, you would be quite surprised. One of the reasons marriages used to last 50 or more years was due to affairs. It gives men especially an outlet. If you think about it, most people today get divorced. There is no more "till death do us part" but it is okay to switch partners every few years. Frankly, I think the world was a better place when people stayed married and loyal to their families. What I'm saying is that this notion young people have that people fall in love, get married, go to church on Sundays, and live like the Cleavers is pretty idealistic.

W.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Why do people get so bent out of shape about infidelity yet it's okay to get married and divorce over and over and over again?
We get bent out of shape because it's a despicable act that doesn't deserve forgiveness. If you're in relationship already, but want to sleep with someone else, then end the relationship first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Does it get pretty windy up that high on your pedestal?
We're not high on any pedestal. What's sad is how low some people's standards are.

Quote:
But, I'm not friends with anyone who cheats, or with anyone who even has OTHER friends who cheat. Overlooking a friend's cheating makes it more likely that person will cheat themselves.
I agree. If my friend cheats, but I overlook it, then I'm basically condoning it. People get away with whatever you let them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Damn, then you must have close to no friends at all LOL!
Some of us would rather have no friends than friends we can't respect. I don't have a huge circle of friends, but I'm happy to say that they're all people of good character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Wow. Didnt know so many CD'ers are okay with cheating.
Sad, isn't it? When people can rationalize it or find ways to forgive it, it's no wonder cheating is so common these days.

Quote:
Mearth,

I saw your profile pic and you are young. I think if you were suddenly to find out all the people in your life who have had affairs, you would be quite surprised. One of the reasons marriages used to last 50 or more years was due to affairs. It gives men especially an outlet. If you think about it, most people today get divorced. There is no more "till death do us part" but it is okay to switch partners every few years. Frankly, I think the world was a better place when people stayed married and loyal to their families. What I'm saying is that this notion young people have that people fall in love, get married, go to church on Sundays, and live like the Cleavers is pretty idealistic.

W.
Ah yes, I was waiting for someone to dismiss her opinion as young and naive. Maybe the real problem is that some people become such cynics as they get older that they learn to tolerate immoral behavior. I hope there are more young people out there like Mearth.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

Ah yes, I was waiting for someone to dismiss her opinion as young and naive. Maybe the real problem is that some people become such cynics as they get older that they learn to tolerate immoral behavior. I hope there are more young people out there like Mearth.

Also, FYI - I'm not THAT young. I'll be 29 in a month.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:

Also, FYI - I'm not THAT young. I'll be 29 in a month.
Well, you're younger than me. BTW, I sent you a DM.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,781 times
Quote:
I have friends who will take me to the hospital, stay with me, and take me home. I have friends coming out of the woodwork to walk my dog now that my foot is broken. I have friends who invite themselves to celebrate my birthday when I say I'm not doing anything special. I have friends who are more interested in my well-being than my own family is.

You know why? Because they're good people, who know how to treat other people - such as NOT cheating on their partners.
So are you saying that IF they cheated on their partners (not habitual), you would immediately toss them like a bunch of bad salad?

Wow, amazingly that you think that all humans must be as perfect as you are, in order to be granted w/ your "gracious" friendships.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Good friends stick by one another and forgive each other when they make mistakes. But one thing I've noticed both with men and women is that if one person cheats, their friends often excuse them and sometimes even cover for them. I guess I've never understood people who do this. If one of my friends cheated, I don't think I'd ever look at them the same way. I certainly wouldn't be able to respect them and if you can't respect them, why would you stay friends with them? Maybe some of you will say that's too harsh. I don't think so. Who you associate with says a lot about you. One thing I would never do is cover for a friend I know is cheating.

What are your thoughts? Would you cover for a friend who cheated? Would you still be friends with them? How much are you willing to forgive your friends for and what point do you say "this is not the kind of person I feel good calling my friend"?

I try and ply it into a menage a trios if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships