Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times

Advertisements

Good friends stick by one another and forgive each other when they make mistakes. But one thing I've noticed both with men and women is that if one person cheats, their friends often excuse them and sometimes even cover for them. I guess I've never understood people who do this. If one of my friends cheated, I don't think I'd ever look at them the same way. I certainly wouldn't be able to respect them and if you can't respect them, why would you stay friends with them? Maybe some of you will say that's too harsh. I don't think so. Who you associate with says a lot about you. One thing I would never do is cover for a friend I know is cheating.

What are your thoughts? Would you cover for a friend who cheated? Would you still be friends with them? How much are you willing to forgive your friends for and what point do you say "this is not the kind of person I feel good calling my friend"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Good friends stick by one another and forgive each other when they make mistakes.
No. They're not supposed to be ditto heads regardless of the situation. When a friend is wrong, I will let him/her know about it. And in case of cheating, definitely won't side with him/her but let know of my opinion on the subject. Something wrong is wrong, and nobody but a good friend is expected to bring it up.

Its not friendship if you can't be honest with your opinion of the person.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Good friends stick by one another and forgive each other when they make mistakes. But one thing I've noticed both with men and women is that if one person cheats, their friends often excuse them and sometimes even cover for them. I guess I've never understood people who do this. If one of my friends cheated, I don't think I'd ever look at them the same way. I certainly wouldn't be able to respect them and if you can't respect them, why would you stay friends with them? Maybe some of you will say that's too harsh. I don't think so. Who you associate with says a lot about you. One thing I would never do is cover for a friend I know is cheating.

What are your thoughts? Would you cover for a friend who cheated? Would you still be friends with them? How much are you willing to forgive your friends for and what point do you say "this is not the kind of person I feel good calling my friend"?
No I wouldn't ever cover for a friend who cheated.Also it would depend on how they cheated/in what way.I'd probably still be friends with them but wouldn't think of them as I once did though.I'd also forgive them as well.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
No I wouldn't ever cover for a friend who cheated.Also it would depend on how they cheated/in what way.I'd probably still be friends with them but wouldn't think of them as I once did though.I'd also forgive them as well.
Lighten up, seriously. Good people cheat all the time. You don't have to view them as a nasty disgusting person because they made a mistake.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM

295 posts, read 667,644 times
This is a hard thing...hmm. I definitely told a friend I didn't think it was right they were the "other woman," but I don't know what I'd say if they were cheating on their significant other.

If they asked me about it, I would likely tell them exactly what I thought. But, in my circle of friends, I am not the one you ask for a lovey-dovey, wishy-washy opinion. I will tell the truth, as I see it.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:44 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Definately would NOT cover for them and would probably distance myself from them too. If they lack integrity in something as important as their personal relationship (especially if we are talking about a married person) then I don't think I'd want to know them. Probably sounds harsh to a lot of you but its how I feel.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Lighten up, seriously. Good people cheat all the time. You don't have to view them as a nasty disgusting person because they made a mistake.
Nope - sorry but I don't agree. Good people do not cheat.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I don't judge my friends for their indiscretions or infidelity. They've never judged me for any of my faults either. I've been friends with these people for most of my life. True friends do not judge one another, turn their backs on one another or cut them out of their lives over something that is none of your business in the first place. But that's just me I guess. You are free to choose your friends in whatever fashion helps you sleep better at night. I imagine your friendships aren't all that deep to begin with if you can cut them out of your life for something like a fling with their SO.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 07-01-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post

Did someone stump on your crunchies way to many times today?Laughing and smiling.Where did I say they were nasty and disgusting people?

I love how someone seems to manage to take what someone posts way out of context.Have a good day.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Nope - sorry but I don't agree. Good people do not cheat.
You do realize over 60% of the American population admits to infidelity at least once in their lifetime. I would sure hate to think 160+ million Americans are bad people. Once again, nobody is perfect and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships