Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Quite true, quite true. The more I exercise, the more in control my asthma is.

As a psych grad student and one with a family history of depression, exercise is the first thing I recommend.

In my case, however, it took a LOT of exercise to stave off depression, and if I went more than 2 days without a hard workout, my self esteem would crash. It was in some ways an addiction, and what used to be fun became merely a way of running away from emotional pain by inducing physical pain..
Hmm, you made me think of myself. A LONG time ago as a kid I looked in the mirror and I HATED that I was skinny and weak looking so I made a commitment to myself then to hit the iron at the YMCA.

To this day almost 12 years later I'm still hitting the gym and even though I'm not super big as in 240lbs (I'm 200lbs) I'm VERY pleased when I look in the mirror because it's all real, it's all natural and I'm pretty strong for my size.

The funny thing is, if I go more then 3 weeks without hitting the iron due to things going on in my life, I feel depressed and I start to loose a little of my confidence. I would not go through a crash because I don't use steroids but I would be less cocky and aggressive and I don't like that.

In the end, the body is a living organism in and of itself and it gets use to specific cycles that you put it through. I know chemical reactions take place in the brain that release feel good chemicals in the body to help "it" feel better and when your body does not get it's fix from the exercise "it" starts to have withdraw like systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
The funny thing is, if I go more then 3 weeks without hitting the iron due to things going on in my life, I feel depressed and I start to loose a little of my confidence.
But of course - endorphin rush. An addiction like any other.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
IMO, deep down, everyone thinks they know what's really up.
As far as your last sentence bolded above, I think I'll go with someone else's eye and what they behold to be beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In response to the original post, mwv, I guess you could just be grateful that are so many shapes & sizes of both sexes. You'll still have your version of hot with plenty to choose from in that category, and hopefully the heavy single folk will hit the jackpot with someone who loves them just the way they are.

Beyond the health reasons on obesity; why such a great divide between so many (not all!) thin people and the overweight? Is it really that difficult to just accept people? So they aren't your visual cup of tea. Big whoop - move on. I have been all over the scale for over 20 years. It's been a roller coaster of frustration & most overweight people - myself included - do NOT make excuses. We might give reasons - there is a difference.

I won't defend or explain my ups & downs because most people already have their minds made up anyway. I'm currently in a size 12 and back on the dating scene & find it's like anything else: a little variety is a damn good thing! I am fully confident (& finding out every day) that plenty of guys out there think a size 12 works just fine. (BTW - that sz 12 on me is still 30+ pounds over the "thin standard")
It's not that *I* don't accept oveweight people or that society doesn't, it's just that I sometimes feel they "milk" it...like they will get a handicapped sticker or whatever...yet they are not handicapped...or when they sit on a train, why is it fair for them to take up 2 seats yet only pay for one? It's not that I don't accept them...I just think it's unfair that they get extra things for being overweight. You don't see with a handicapped sticker on my car. I am very underweight, why shouldn't I get one?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
This is so true. Weight and attractiveness are not correlated. You can be fat and hot, or thin and not.
ummm no, sorry...fat isn't hot.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
...like they will get a handicapped sticker or whatever...yet they are not handicapped...You don't see with a handicapped sticker on my car. I am very underweight, why shouldn't I get one?
Quote:
ummm no, sorry...fat isn't hot.
I worked in the endocrine field for a number of years. Lots of fat people showing up to appointments and parking in the handicapped spaces. Then a few people following them in challenging them on why they parked there. COPD for one thing. Their hearts & CV systems are taxed by all the extra weight - a longer distance could very well be the final straw. It's sad, it's wrong, and they should try to overcome the obstacles that keep them heavy, be they physical, physiological, emotional or (usually) all three. But being snarky to them isn't the solution.

If you want a handicapped sticker, apply for one. Just like the people who have one when you can't see the need; perhaps you too, have a handicap that is outwardly invisible to the rest of us. And please don't think I'm flaming you, I'm not. You make some points about the underweight & their plight. ( "being attractive sucks"...et al) You've also made several posts t/o CD commenting that you are an attractive woman. So my question to you is, especially after stating above that "fat isn't hot" and that underweight people are just as challenged, how can you possibly think you are attractive when you are underweight? Goose meet gander.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,322 times
Quote:
It's not that *I* don't accept oveweight people or that society doesn't, it's just that I sometimes feel they "milk" it...like they will get a handicapped sticker or whatever...yet they are not handicapped...or when they sit on a train, why is it fair for them to take up 2 seats yet only pay for one? It's not that I don't accept them...I just think it's unfair that they get extra things for being overweight. You don't see with a handicapped sticker on my car. I am very underweight, why shouldn't I get one?
Being fat is hard enough, why should the person who may have health problems that lead them to be fat, pay double and triple tolls everywhere they go? I am considering even starvation and extreme methods like going to China or India for weight loss forumlas online to try and get weight off, I am scared at how my body is holding on to every calorie. I have hormonal troubles, but this is getting stupid.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM

113 posts, read 235,412 times
Proberly because they have no self-control or will power, don't see a reason to stop or have one. Perhaps because they are insecure or depressed for whatever reason and maybe food replaces a partner for them. sad but true, I wish they would realise that if they changed their eating and excercise habits then maybe that fish would be more inclined to say hey.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I worked in the endocrine field for a number of years. Lots of fat people showing up to appointments and parking in the handicapped spaces. Then a few people following them in challenging them on why they parked there. COPD for one thing. Their hearts & CV systems are taxed by all the extra weight - a longer distance could very well be the final straw. It's sad, it's wrong, and they should try to overcome the obstacles that keep them heavy, be they physical, physiological, emotional or (usually) all three. But being snarky to them isn't the solution.

If you want a handicapped sticker, apply for one. Just like the people who have one when you can't see the need; perhaps you too, have a handicap that is outwardly invisible to the rest of us. And please don't think I'm flaming you, I'm not. You make some points about the underweight & their plight. ( "being attractive sucks"...et al) You've also made several posts t/o CD commenting that you are an attractive woman. So my question to you is, especially after stating above that "fat isn't hot" and that underweight people are just as challenged, how can you possibly think you are attractive when you are underweight? Goose meet gander.
Underweight people used to be made fun of in olden days, like Hey skINNY MINNY, but now its the norm. Most of the celebrities are underweight. Lookat Michael Jackson, even the men are going that way, that man was 6 feet tall and only weighed 105 lbs. Substance abuse probably fueld that one.

Many overweight people would never make it without handicapped stickers. some got fat from the lung problems. People dont know this but when your lungs check out, [and mine did when I was only 20] the treatment of choice is PREDNISONE and inhaled steroids, if you are not on emergency level prednisone. That stuff makes you fat, and when you cant breath, my pulmonary doctor in old town, told me you dont metabolize as well. I am on inhaled steroids now even to stay alive and once gained 70lbs off prednionse in one month to save my life from a severe asthma attack that almost killed me.

People if you can exercise go BURN it off, and stay as fit, heck, I believe in fat prevention.

But dont diss all the fat people you all do not how hard it is to live this way.
One friend's doctor told her. Being severely overweight is worse then cancer. I agree. People do not realize the pain.

Everyone thinks its a matter of just pushing away from table. Sure, we all need to be responsible. This is why I follow a food plan, and write down everything I eat for Weight Watchers, but even then the body can betray.
The hunger levels in fat people are far higher, I totally believe this, and for those not fat from endocrine problems, they are literally pouring crap into our food, that ensures these satiety disorders are worsened!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza986 View Post
Proberly because they have no self-control or will power, don't see a reason to stop or have one. Perhaps because they are insecure or depressed for whatever reason and maybe food replaces a partner for them. sad but true, I wish they would realise that if they changed their eating and excercise habits then maybe that fish would be more inclined to say hey.

It is a lie that it is all a matter of will power.

Come on, is 60% of american society all losers who have no responsiblity?

That is the number of fat people.

Something else more insidious is going on then failure of individual.

I got more money last month, and I bought a crap load of vegetables, and drank organic juice that is expensive and has every mineral and vitamin known to man in it. I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. And I was full and satisifed.

what do you think of my theory about Americans being mal nutritioned, over eating for needs that are not met.

Everyone be responsible but its deeper then that.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:

It's just that everyone who is fat tries to defend it. I used to be fat. I got willpower and lost the weight. Was it hard? Yes, but it IS possible to overcome...and anyone who can't or wont believe that is just lazy. I'm sorry. If I could do it, so can everyone else...and I am a small girl heightwise...I had a lot of weight to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships