Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why lay this on single people? The only fat people I know are all married! Apparently, many think that once they snag a spouse, they can let themselves go.
Good point.

I've known people who worked out on a regular basis and then once they entered a semi-permanent or permanent relationship, the exercising stopped. I don't know if it was because they had less time to exercise as they were spending the time with the mate instead. Or, if they figured that exercise was no longer necessary as they were now in a relationship. In the first case, it was probably a matter of exercising for oneself (personal health, liked doing it, etc.) while in the second case it probably a matter of exercising for others (to look attractive to others).

Anyway, two stories:

• I was at work one day and the boss brought in some pastries for the office. As I walked by those gathering around the goodies, one of them remarked that she shouldn't be eating it. Another said, "I don't care...I'm married!
  • I know an attractive woman works in another department where I work. She looked good and most guys I talked to thought so, as well. She was neither overweight or skinny. I guess typical or average fits the bill. Anyway, she gets a new boyfriend and I started to notice some weight gain on her. Actually it didn't look bad because it mostly went to her rear (and as we all know there's nothing wrong with that ). A few months later, she broke up with him. I start noticing she losing weight - a lot!! Now she looks like she's starving herself.... Now that I think of it, I should ask her out to lunch.
Final observation. Drinking a lot will cause one to gain weight. Single people party more than married people. More party = more drinking. Can't discount the affect of brew on the body...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:55 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
I would say more people that are married are fat than single, just my observation. I've been single and skinny my whole life. Also drinking alcohol has different effects on everyone. For me, the years I was drinking, I actually kept weight off. I could drink about 12 to 18 beers per day and eat nothing but pizza/taco bell and I was about 135 pounds. Now I dont drink anymore and am working out really hard and I'm up to 170, although I am much healthier now.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I would say more people that are married are fat than single, just my observation. I've been single and skinny my whole life. Also drinking alcohol has different effects on everyone. For me, the years I was drinking, I actually kept weight off. I could drink about 12 to 18 beers per day and eat nothing but pizza/taco bell and I was about 135 pounds. Now I dont drink anymore and am working out really hard and I'm up to 170, although I am much healthier now.
Holy...I didn't even know that was possible...

Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Did you bring some beer with that popcorn??? We may need it!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
With the news today about obesity rates rising yet again and with 2/3 of adult Americans overweight or obese it made me think about how many single people I know who would be more successful on the dating market if they weren't fat. This affects women more the men but many men also lose opportunities due to being pot-bellied or worse.

There are a lot of women who would be attractive to me and many other fit single guys if they'd just shed 20-40 pounds and tone up a little.

Since you tend to see fat people only dating other fat people is this just the way things should be?
I don't think it's so black and white as society may deem it to be.

While US and wider Western society says that slim is attractive, i think this is largely pushed by the media. I have noticed that it's largely obese persons who are low in the dating pecking order. Persons who are moderately overweight, or have a few pounds here and there, are not wholly dismissed as such.

I'd imagine most overweight persons in the USA fall into the moderately overweight category, and thus get little setback in getting dates.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Actually it's quite the opposite. Attractive/thin people have a harder time with dating b/c people look at them as sex objects and not as a girlfriend or a wife...where as someone more average looking will be liked who they are as a person and NOT what they look like. It's a more genuine love for someone who is more of the norm.

Ummm.....yeah, welcome to my world. Sometimes I think there's an invisible sign on my forehead that only men can see that says "DO ME."

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Holy...I didn't even know that was possible...

12 to 18 beers was an average day for me. On weekends I was fully capable of putting away an entire fifth or upwards of 24 beers. Needless to say it reduced my apetite by a lot and caused nutrition problems but it kept all weight off of me...hell I even had a perfect 6 pack without doing situps.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
This affects women more the men.

There are a lot of women who would be attractive to me and many other fit single guys if they'd just shed 20-40 pounds and tone up a little.

Since you tend to see fat people only dating other fat people is this just the way things should be?
I know a lot of smokin' hot chubby chicks. How much does it matter if someone is a good person on the inside and fun to be around?

This has to be one of the most braindead ignorant things I have ever read here.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ummm.....yeah, welcome to my world. Sometimes I think there's an invisible sign on my forehead that only men can see that says "DO ME."
Everyone has a hard time dating no matter what they look like. The unattractive people think they have it worse...I don't know...I kind of beg to differ. All my overweight friends are getting married and the hot ones can't even get boyfriends. They get a lot of dates and attention yes, but not the commitment they want. And then you always have to wonder...does he actually like me for the person I am, or just b/c he likes how I look? truth be told, being attractive sucks.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
It always puzzles me especially when you see a women with a very attractive face but shes 50 pounds overweight if shed just lose the weight shed have men waiting in line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships