Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM

90 posts, read 118,131 times

Advertisements

Subconsciously, that is.

For instance, people are constantly reminded of how handsome Mr. X is or how beautiful Ms. Y is. So wouldn't people - inadvertently, of course - form the image of an ideal man/woman and also expect their partners to fit into that image? In other words, chasing illusions ... that's the result. Also this comparison could lead to jealousy, hurts and scars, etc. That also is destructive.

So at least indirectly, doesn't this type of culture cause problems in relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,610 times
As opposed to 60 years ago,when most people considered Marilyn Monroe a dog or Paul McCartney unattractive?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
My own wife would not be defined as beautiful by current cultural trends as seen on TV, or magazines, or movies, or wherever these images are force fed to us.

However, to me, she is an amazingly beautiful, attractive, sexy, and alluring woman. Not once have I ever had a thought wishing she was someone she is not.

I love her, and am attracted to her for who she is, not who society would dictate I be attracted to so they can sell me something.

If someone is letting this culture affect how they find their significant other's relative attractiveness and allow it to interfere with their relationship then I would suggest they need to grow up and are not ready for a real relationship.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Uh no.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,867 times
Its easy to blame - harder to take personal responsibility.
There always has been and there always will be ideas of beauty and handsomness, and whatever else socially and culturally, because thats how we are, its always changing. What is beautiful today may not be beautiful in the future, depending on if the planet is totally annhilated by disaster or not.
How was that for a trite answer?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
No. A lot of people don't even pay attention to celebrity culture. And how would someone get "hurts and scars" from seeing a celebrity photo on a magazine cover? I don't think it affects relationships at all. What it does affect in some cases is the self-esteem of teens who are in the process of forming their self-image and are looking for acceptance in the world. But it has no bearing on relationships.

I was discussing something similar with another member here while ago. We think that the hyper-sexualized images in video games, the women with completely unrealistic bodies, affect boys' attitudes and expectations towards women much more than celebrity culture does.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I would think if anything in the media has a negative effect on modern relationships, it's "reality TV" more so than standards of beauty. So many think this reality stuff is real when often times it's extremes that are carefully edited (and maybe scripted). These show portray people "falling in love" in a few weeks, or people falling in love and getting new girlfriends or boyfriends minutes after a breakup or people jumping from one partner to the next, people fight and treat each other like garbage (when most people don't act that extreme). Just look at shows like The Bachelor or Jersey Shore and whatnot.

You'd think most people would know this stuff isn't "real" but then again, it's amazing to me how naive people can be about this kind of thing (one only need go to Snopes.com to see all the weird urban legends people accept as "real").

This is mainly about kids, but it might shed insight on what I am talking about: http://www.mrc.org/bozells-column/re...-distort-world

Quote:
The Girl Scout Research Institute recently surveyed 1,000 girls in that age bracket and found these children aren't clueless. Everyone surveyed thought reality shows promote bad behavior: 86 percent felt the shows often set people against one another to increase the dramatic value; 73 percent thought reality shows depict fighting as a normal part of a romantic relationship; and 70 percent believed that reality TV leads people to believe it acceptable to mistreat each other.

So the youngsters see through the mud? Not exactly. Here's the rub: 75 percent said that competition shows (like "American Idol") and 50 percent of "real-life" shows like MTV's "Jersey Shore" are "mainly real and unscripted." They may not find the antics admirable, but they see them as real. For them, it is a mirror of what awaits them in the "real world" when they grow up.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I would think if anything in the media has a negative effect on modern relationships, it's "reality TV" more so than standards of beauty. So many think this reality stuff is real when often times it's extremes that are carefully edited (and maybe scripted). These show portray people "falling in love" in a few weeks, or people falling in love and getting new girlfriends or boyfriends minutes after a breakup or people jumping from one partner to the next, people fight and treat each other like garbage (when most people don't act that extreme).
I don't even think it has to be reality TV. I read an article a few weeks ago about the portrayal of single people in entertainment, which gave a few examples of how you rarely see people who aren't trying to get into a relationship. TV characters happen to just stumble across eligible attractive people every week out and about, and that's just not realistic for most people. TV and movies rarely show people in happy, conflict-free relationships, either, because that would be boring.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
non issue

Old 02-18-2014, 02:01 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
As opposed to 60 years ago,when most people considered Marilyn Monroe a dog or Paul McCartney unattractive?
Or several thousands of years ago when the Romans admired the Gladiators or the Greeks followed the theatre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships