Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post

Let me translate: no one said all women are golddiggers, just that when they want to be, the laws (regarding heterosexual marriage) allow them to be more successful at it.

Different kind of marriage means different laws, and lack of precedent - therefore, less of an issue.
I looked up some info for NJ and for VA. This is what I found for NJ...

"Examining the Factors Affecting Spousal Support
Alimony is a regular payment made from one ex-spouse to the other after divorce. While it was originally designed to maintain women after divorce, alimony in New Jersey is now completely gender-neutral.

Alimony is not granted in every divorce case. Whether you or your spouse is required to pay alimony, and if so how much and for how long, is determined based on a number of factors, including but not limited to the following:
  • What assets each party brought into the marriage
  • What assets each party is taking out of the marriage
  • The length of the marriage
  • Each party's earning capacity
  • The health of each party
  • Each party's standard of living and lifestyle during the marriage "
Morris County NJ Alimony Lawyer | New Jersey Spousal Support Attorney | Morristown

This is what I found for VA.

What are the factors that go into an spousal support determination?

The factors taken into consideration by the Court when deciding whether to award spousal support and the amount of such award include:

The earning capacity, obligations, needs and financial resources of the parties, including but not limited to income from all pension, profit sharing or retirement plans, of whatever nature;
-The education and training of the parties and the ability and opportunity of the parties to secure such education and training;
- The standard of living established during the marriage;
- The duration of the marriage;
- The age and physical and mental condition of the parties;
- The contributions, monetary and non monetary, of each party to the well-being of the family;
- The property interest of the parties, both real and personal, tangible and intangible;
- The provisions made with regard to the marital property; and
- Such other factors, including the tax consequences to each party , as are necessary to consider the equities between the parties.
Virgina Spousal Support (Alimony) FAQ's — DivorceNet

I'm not seeing a gender stipulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No, you two really haven't been doing that at all. I've seen a bunch of irrational whining from nj, and a weird CT from your posts. That's it.

Again, NO. The link I provided clearly states that is not the case, BY LAW. Also, you have not provided any evidence (that I've seen) that marriages a few months old lend to alimony. If you have this data, I'm certainly interested. As it stands, it doesn't make sense and in my poking around the net, I haven't come across any laws that would support such bologna.

Prove it.

OP, I wish you luck as this unfolds. I hope you have a good support system around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships