Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 AM

3,973 posts, read 7,677,456 times

Advertisements

I can relate to that, I hate it when I open a door for someone and they just go through, or even worse, when they don't even attempt to touch the door handle, like I was actually holding the door completely open for them! Oohhh I hate that!
and when they don't say thank you or excuse me, etc. just simple manners are going by the wayside lately!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I always hold the door open for a woman (or anyone), but these days, what irks me is when people just breeze through without so much as a "thank you", as if I'm their personal door opening guy, or something.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, such chivalry is often frowned upon and many women are too suspicious of a genuinely "nice guy" offering to help them in this way.

Chivalry is dying a death and I can't help but feel that both genders are the cause of its demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 AM

6,882 posts, read 11,206,632 times
Default Common courtesy

I am a female and I have also opened doors for women who seem grateful with their arms full and a stroller in front. I grew up with a father who opened doors and treated my mom like a queen - my brother does the same. My husband now does all that too and recently, I was somewhere with my son and I noticed (and thanked him) for opening my door.

Just think of it as doing something nice for someone - in this day, we all need a little kindness now and then. Pass it on!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,370,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
Pull out a chair for a lady, hold the door for a woman, place the hand on the small of the woman's back as they walk along,open car doors for a lady? Or do some think this belongs in another era back when men rode horses and ladies wore petticoats. I have found that a lot of younger men while out with a lady where I live no longer do these things, its not behaviour that seems to have been passed down to them. What about the older generation of men do they still feel a need to do this kind of stuff? Do women still appreciate having them done?

It makes me feel very very special when my boyfriend holds a door for me whether it be a car door etc.He also pulls out a chair for me when we're dining in a diner.

When I've been out by myself shopping I've had mainly older men hold a door open for me and sometimes one will help me load my packages in my car.I look back at them with a big grin and thank them and make the comment that there gentlemen after all.
Yes, I still do all these things, but I am older. However, I hate to think that common courtesy and respect are age-specific.

I have to share with you that two weeks ago, coming out of the post office I saw a young woman (about 19yo) struggling with a large package. I offered to help and she pleasantly accepted. Then she opened the car trunk revealing SIX more very large and heavy packages, and stated,"I'm moving all my stuff back to Hawaii". We finally got it all into the post office and she was very appreciative, so it was worth it.

As I got into my car, I was laughing thinking, "That's the last time I open my mouth without first consulting my bad back". I'm 63.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,863,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
Pull out a chair for a lady, hold the door for a woman, place the hand on the small of the woman's back as they walk along,open car doors for a lady? Or do some think this belongs in another era back when men rode horses and ladies wore petticoats. I have found that a lot of younger men while out with a lady where I live no longer do these things, its not behaviour that seems to have been passed down to them. What about the older generation of men do they still feel a need to do this kind of stuff? Do women still appreciate having them done?

It makes me feel very very special when my boyfriend holds a door for me whether it be a car door etc.He also pulls out a chair for me when we're dining in a diner.

When I've been out by myself shopping I've had mainly older men hold a door open for me and sometimes one will help me load my packages in my car.I look back at them with a big grin and thank them and make the comment that there gentlemen after all.

Not much anymore

Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,900,909 times
I used to do those sorts of things, but not anymore. I got sick of the snide remarks, dirty looks, or most commonly, no acknowledgment at all. There's too many self-important b#tches out there to waste these actions on.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 PM

37,489 posts, read 45,766,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I used to do those sorts of things, but not anymore. I got sick of the snide remarks, dirty looks, or most commonly, no acknowledgment at all. There's too many self-important b#tches out there to waste these actions on.
You sound terribly bitter. But it kinda sucks that you have allowed some rude women to impact your own manners.

I am happy to say that men open doors for me all the time. Entering the gym, my workplace, a restaurant...pretty much 100% of the time, if a guy is there, he'll open the door. And yes, I always smile and say "thank you".

Old 07-11-2009, 11:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,338,702 times
I grew up witnessing it (my grandfather was a stickler for things a man should do and quoted them on a hourly basis) but when I actually started dating I didn't look for or expect it. It just turned out that I ended up with someone who does it, not because he's looking for accolades but because he wants to do it.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,370,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Her rule of thumb is right on! Frankly, I'm not used to having the car door opened for me. How can I be?! I get in and out of the darn car numerous times every day on my own. However, I still appreciate good manners. I almost couldn't believe a guy who even handed me the seatbelt!
Sometimes my wife hands me the seatbelt, but it's usually when she is getting ready to the scare the hell out of me! Even our dogs are afraid to get in the car with her.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,020,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Sometimes my wife hands me the seatbelt, but it's usually when she is getting ready to the scare the hell out of me! Even our dogs are afraid to get in the car with her.
You sure it wasn't a belt instead of a seatbelt... and she wasn't beating ya with it instead of handing it to ya...?!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,749,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Really they don't like it??? They are stupid girls...its shows you are being kind.....showing respect to the female species. You need to date different girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships