Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And if I do somehow linger on that far into the future? I am in my mid to late 30's, have few friends and never had a girlfriend. I don't see much potential for anything other than loneliness and isolation.
That sounds so depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I haven't seen any threads on this but if there was one, I apologize for repeating the topic.

My thoughts have increasingly turned towards what my life will be like when I'm old. There's no doubt that this is brought on by what I observe with my parents who are both 79, although I think I am worrying myself silly. I just can't seem to distract myself from the worry though.

I don't have kids so I wonder who will help me if I can't care for myself.
If I can't look out for my best interests in healthcare or finances, who will?

I wonder who will call or visit since my family is very distant both in miles and attitude. The thought of being alone when I'm old scares me.

What will happen to me if I don't save enough for my retirement and have no family to turn to.

I'm curious if others think about what their life will be like when they are old. Do you worry about being alone? Do you worry about what will happen to you if you can't care for yourself because of health or financial reasons?
Here is my perspective for what it's worth. The context is that I am already old, have no kids, but a great partner. I grew up without a family so there is no one to visit.

Other than pain and chronic illness that goes with aging, being old is mostly a question of attitude. Much of the deterioration you can't control, i.e cardiac risk due to heredity. However, if you eat right now and keep mentally and physically active, you can minimize it. I don't know how old you are now, but from the concern in your post, it would be good to evaluate your current preventative healthcare. If you already have a healthy lifestyle, keep it up, and don't waste time worrying about risk factors you can't control.

To answer your questions on self-reliance: If you can't look out for your own best interests, no one else will. Don't count on the government or anyone else. If you don't save for your retirement, you are going to be screwed. Start now, and if you have already started, save as much as you can without sacrificing a satisfying life now. You may die before you get "old".

Finally, again from my limited perspective, getting old simply means you have to modify how you approach life. I have a number of nagging physical limitations. However, I have no intention of going off in the woods and laying there quietly until the buzzards find me.

Now get off this thread, go do something today that makes you happy, and resolve to prepare for, but not worry about "getting old".

Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I do think about it, but I don't worry about it. Either things will work out or plans will have to be revised. While I was lucky enough to stumble into a couple of jobs that provide good retirement benefits, there's no guarantee that it will be enough for our current standard of living. So that means we either change our standard of living or we find additional sources, be it working longer or part-time work.

My father went into a nursing home before he died, so I know what that cost is like. Since we had to research the options, I have an idea of what needs to happen should that befall us. You may not like where you end up, but will receive care.

Since we have kids, we won't face being alone. Still, I figure if I run out of things to do, there will always be volunteer work and in actuality, it will be a thing to do. Volunteering will place you around people, so you won't be alone.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I actually cherish my privacy and solitude more than just about anything. And there is a wonderful lady who visits me from time to time when I can afford it.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I am not going to get old. I guess the problem is deciding what's old and acting accordingly.

And if I do somehow linger on that far into the future? I am in my mid to late 30's, have few friends and never had a girlfriend. I don't see much potential for anything other than loneliness and isolation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with 2mares. However, you are young enough to make changes. I don't doubt that I could have been just like you, but I was lucky enough to be with people who included me and got me involved. You can do this yourself by volunteering, joining an adult league or finding a special interest group. For instance, on another forum, there's a single person who just retired early, who's been a scoutmaster for years. I'm guessing he started out doing it for his nephew and just continued because he enjoyed helping out.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I actually cherish my privacy and solitude more than just about anything. And there is a wonderful lady who visits me from time to time when I can afford it.
That sounds less depressing.
loneliness and isolation vs. privacy and solitude

Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
I enjoy my privacy, but cannot stand solitude.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
What will your life be like when you are old? Do you think about it?

*sigh I guess I'll just float away on an iceberg never to be seen again.

BTW....how often DO icebergs come past here on the Mississippi or Ohio rivers?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
What will your life be like when you are old? Do you think about it?

*sigh I guess I'll just float away on an iceberg never to be seen again.

BTW....how often DO icebergs come past here on the Mississippi or Ohio rivers?
One may float by when Hell freezes over.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
much of the time when people say old they mean in ill health.
i am old, but the list you gave does not affect me bek of conditional age (48)
btw CDF is an element of that enjoyment thank you CDF for making my world larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships