Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
the pants hang like my 2 year olds diaper when he wakes up after a full nights sleep
Oh, Geez... your diapers just produced your 2nd star! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,220,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, Geez... your diapers just produced your 2nd star! Congrats!
Aww, thanks! I'll have to thank my 2 year old as well. Afterall, we are getting chuckles from his undies

Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Aww, thanks! I'll have to thank my 2 year old as well. Afterall, we are getting chuckles from his undies
Yeah, tell the baby he's (I believe IT was a HE) responsible for your stardom!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,220,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, tell the baby he's (I believe IT was a HE) responsible for your stardom!
Oh I will Yes, my 2 year old is a he

Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,605,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Speed, if you scrolled to some of the posts above mine, you'd see that it's not just the 'older' CD'ers that don't care for that particular style of dress and/or speech...

Now...as a fellow American, and as a US Army Infantry veteran, I agree with you wholeheartedly on your point about government needing to keep hands off of certain things...my military brethren and I, both in the past and in the present day, have served our country to insure that the freedoms of speech and expression you mentioned are available for all...and you're right on another point as well (see---us old folks aren't as inflexible as you might think )---if perchance someone DID challenge the laws set up like those in Florida, then there's a strong possibility that a shrewd barrister could poke holes in them and thus get them overturned...

But that leads back to what TexasUser was trying to say in his/her original post---what's up with all that nonsense, and what can be done to hold it up to ridicule so that folks will think twice before adopting that style of dress/speech? Nobody's really trying to deny those folks their freedom of expression, but if enough other folks think that what they're doing is silly, juvenile, and non-productive, then can't a solution be found that won't result in raised voices, clenched fists, name calling and just plain uncalled-for anger? Ball's in your court, Speed

I'm one of those "older folks" myself, I've served in the Air Force for over 14 1/2 years and have been to 3 different conflicts so the whole thing about infringing on peoples basics rights really strikes a nerve with me.
I think the fact that people would be willing to compromise the basic rights that this country was founded on just because they dont like something is a sad commentary on our country. Today it is saggy pants ( which mind you I think is the dumbest fad ever), what will we allow the govt to control next? Look beyond the actual fad, and look at the taking of basic rights and liberties. Thats the true issue here.

To your last point, I'm sure that we can find enough people that dont believe in the hate speech that is used by the neo-nazi/white supremesist or any other hate groups in America, however under the law of the land they are protected by the freedoms that many american military men and women have died to protect. The fact is because something is unpopular to the masses doenst mean we can make legislation to outlaw it. Thats not how freedom works. Freedoms are gauranteed to every American regardless of how silly, juvenille, or non-productive thier actions are.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,676,191 times
Exclamation Speed, The Infantry Salutes You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I'm one of those "older folks" myself, I've served in the Air Force for over 14 1/2 years and have been to 3 different conflicts so the whole thing about infringing on peoples basics rights really strikes a nerve with me.
I think the fact that people would be willing to compromise the basic rights that this country was founded on just because they dont like something is a sad commentary on our country. Today it is saggy pants ( which mind you I think is the dumbest fad ever), what will we allow the govt to control next? Look beyond the actual fad, and look at the taking of basic rights and liberties. Thats the true issue here.

To your last point, I'm sure that we can find enough people that dont believe in the hate speech that is used by the neo-nazi/white supremesist or any other hate groups in America, however under the law of the land they are protected by the freedoms that many american military men and women have died to protect. The fact is because something is unpopular to the masses doenst mean we can make legislation to outlaw it. Thats not how freedom works. Freedoms are gauranteed to every American regardless of how silly, juvenille, or non-productive thier actions are.
That's about as airtight and dead-on an answer as I've seen yet...I hope others on here read this post and see the wisdom and truth in your answer, because the last 2 or 3 sentences just don't brook any argument---you are dead right...

Also, I for one thank you for your service...my days of ground-pounding are long past, but it is great to know that folks like yourself are still out there 'watching our backs'...Thanks Speed

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,999,152 times
It's a style, and most of you probably associated yourself with a fad that your parents, teachers or some other authority did not like. When I was in 9th grade 16 years ago (sheesh), it was the thing to do, and it was cool. I went to an racially diverse school in Northeast Philly, actually not too far from where the swim club denied access to the day camp full of black kids, and a lot of white kids wore the clothes too.

I can also attest that while the style exists, not all inner city youth or even the 'thugs' wear their clothes like that. I grew out of it, and so did a lot of other men. Jeans and shirt fit, and are even tight. Most of the dudes stuck on that style are just that- stuck.

Eventually some of these kids will realize that an XXXL shirt looks ridiculous on an L frame.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,722,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And you are in Texas???
I thought everyone walked around in church clothes there. Not that that is bad. I'm surprised is all.
No. It's Texas state law we have to wear cowboy hats and boots at all times. Didn't you get the memo?

Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
Baggy and sagging is in style because everybody keeps gaining waist girth about every 6 months or so. So it's understandable to buy five sizes too big. That way you don't have a million pairs of jeans and shirts.

Or you could just buy those skinny jeans made with stretch fabric and force yourself to stay thin.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,543,908 times
Guys dress that way because the girls of their group like it.
Once girls stop liking it, then guys will stop wearing it. Girls
pretty much control a guy's dress... not the other way around.
Think about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships