Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Actually, studies that were intended to prove that courts are biased against men showed the opposite -- that where the father actually sues for custody with the intention of obtaining it (and not merely for litigation leverage), he is more likely than the mother to get it.

Do you personally know a lot of men who actually want custody in a divorce? Not "joint" custody, where the man gets to make the decisions but not to change the diapers, but actual physical custody?

Alimony is increasingly rare, at least where I practice. It is mostly relegated to cases of severe economic disparity between the parties. Do you know many couples like that?
This is still much like the 1 in 3 that take the DNA test debate. I think in most reasonable people's minds the woman should have primary custody in most cases, as the "mothering instinct" is not something that was simply wished into existence. As a general rule, women are more nurturing and have overall better patience with children, and deal with the stresses of that better overall. This is fairly common knowledge.

That said, not many men even in bitter divorces file for custody unless there are some SERIOUS doubts in their minds as to the stability of the home or person. So again, it's more a case of being more successful in filing in those cases because there are usually major reasons behind it, in many cases obvious, such as drug use.

And I do know of 2 friends of mine who wish full custody. In their own cases however proving the mother is not competent to be the primary caregiver is very difficult, even though the accusation of abuse by the male (since this is not a criminal case) brings in supervised visits at the judge's discretion unless he can prove otherwise. The one more from the bitterness and rather overall nasty disposition of the woman in question IMO, rather than anything truly substantial, the other however, she has a history of mental issues.

Last edited by Waynec613; 07-15-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangedEssence View Post
Basically Women will only put up with Bull sh** for a LIMITED amount of time.....Men will either continue with thier Bull sh** like they are actually getting away with it. Or they are content and probably feel like they are having thier cake and eating it too. If the woman is the one doing wrong she'll sooner or later figure that she can do the same thing and not have the trouble that is associated with having the husband around. I don't get it....My EX actually wanted to split the house. He wanted his room and then my Room and to date other people all while in the same house.----What an Idiot. It was sooooo obvious that we were over. DIVORCE. Why delay the inevitable? Yes, We opt for Closure and continuance of our lives. The longer we stay with the wrong the longer it keeps the right one away. I can go on on . I'm sre you had my point after the first few sentences.

No, I don't. What is your point?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
How was the study able to determine the father's intent?
From follow-through. If the issue actually gets taken before a judge, the man is in a better position to win, statistically. If the bid for custody is made merely for leverage, however, it will either be traded away for something else before the hearing, or completely abandoned -- otherwise, the party who uses custody for leverage risks ending up with the worst of both worlds: no concessions and stuck with custody he didn't want in the first place.

Quote:
Most men I know didn't want the divorce to begin with.
That is irrelevant to the issue of custody. Also, simply not wanting a divorce doesn't mean actually contributing to a good marriage. A person can be an absolutely awful spouse, even abusive, and yet not want a divorce.

Quote:
I don't know how they felt about custody, I assume they have taken the view that the children are better off with the mother.
Well, then in that case, I don't see how courts can be accused of bias.

Quote:
It may be that they didn't want the children, I don't know.
Well, no one forced them at gun point, I presume.

Quote:
I have not observed many situations where the man "ran off" after divorce.
Why would anybody "run off" after divorce?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
This is still much like the 1 in 3 that take the DNA test debate. I think in most reasonable people's minds the woman should have primary custody in most cases, as the "mothering instinct" is not something that was simply wished into existence. As a general rule, women are more nurturing and have overall better patience with children, and deal with the stresses of that better overall. This is fairly common knowledge.
That's not the basis for custody. The law is gender-neutral, and makes no assumption about which gender is supposedly more "nurturing". The person entitled to physical custody by default is the one who acted as the primary caretaker during the marriage. Period. If it's the father, then the father gets custody.

Quote:
That said, not many men even in bitter divorces file for custody unless there are some SERIOUS doubts in their minds as to the stability of the home or person. So again, it's more a case of being more successful in filing in those cases because there are usually major reasons behind it, in many cases obvious, such as drug use.
Well, if the mothers in those cases are so horrible and so dangerous to their kids, kinda begs the question why the men don't file for divorce then -- right? Or it could be something that's a lot simpler -- like that a lot fewer men act as primary caretakers during the marriage than women. And again, this doesn't change the fact that, in contested custody cases, men are more likely than women to win. By the way, the same studies I was talking about also found that courts tend to give more weight to childcare when performed by men (e.g., a man scores more points for changing a diaper than does a woman) while also giving more weight to fault on the part of women than men (e.g., a woman proven to be a serial cheater is more likely to be found an unfit parent than a man who is a serial cheater).

Quote:
And I do know of 2 friends of mine who wish full custody. In their own cases however proving the mother is not competent to be the primary caregiver is very difficult, even though the accusation of abuse by the male (since this is not a criminal case) brings in supervised visits at the judge's discretion unless he can prove otherwise. The one more from the bitterness and rather overall nasty disposition of the woman in question IMO, rather than anything truly substantial, the other however, she has a history of mental issues.
But you've heard only one side of the story -- haven't you?

Last edited by Redisca; 07-15-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
...If I won the lottery she was able to get half for ten years and goofy crap like that was written into the "agreement".

good gawd

Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
I know in my sister's case, he's in denial about it. He believes that they should only divorce if there's infidelity. I guess committing fraud doesn't count as a breach of trust in his world. (He forged my sister's name on multiple checks, among other things, without her knowledge.) He also put my sister 6 figures in debt to the point where she's losing her home and has to file for bankruptcy.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Why do women file for divorce? The same/probably reasons men do!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,076 times

Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Much much more often than men? I read a stat that women file around 70 percent of the time!!! Why is this?
It didn't matter whose name was on our filing - we had already made our decision to divorce. I filed because we both used my lawyer, and I was paying for everything. There was no special reason for me instead of him, other than that.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
good gawd
The lottery deal was piddly compared to the overall picture.It was a rough deal....she could get into my union pension fund if I croaked,half of a lottery winning etc etc.

But what killed me was I lost 2 HD's ,a motorhome,house and ALL of the goodies,shop and a year old car, a late 1 ton 4x4 truck....ALL of that stuff was paid for and she also got every dime of a considerable bank account because she was smart enough to go get it and it was in both of our names....I hung out partying and didn't take care of business and business took care of me.

All I got was a new Dodge cummins 4x4 that I owed more on that it was worth,a 6 horse horse trailer and my dogs....she RENTED me my OWN house and I had to stand around after that first shower and air dry because she took the towels and EVERYTHING else but one glass,one fork and one plate.

Yeah...I was a smart on that first one.Next one got easier tho and so forth and so on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships