Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,000,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You sound alot like me, you're probably an introvert also. Mrs. Chow and I are discussing which family members we need to see this weekend and I'm already exhausted just thinking about it

So I don't necessarily think you're old.

We bust our asses during the week and I'm resentful of having to "waste" the weekend doing things I don't want to do.

Yeah I know sounds selfish but can't help it.
And you sound EXACTLY like me. I hate weekends where I will be ripping and running both days. I struggle with the selfish aspect myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM

295 posts, read 667,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
some people just don't need much social interaction. Our society has conditioned us to believe that is wrong or abnormal, but our society is rather stupid, petty and shallow. Enjoy your life the way you see fit, and don't give other opinions enough value to damage your happiness.
+1

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,063,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That makes two of us!
Three of us.

I'd MUCH rather sit on the porch swing nowdays or BS on here than listen to ANY noise.

AND I'M NOT REALLY OLD btw...unless early 40's IS the new old and I didn't get the memo from ET

Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM

22,069 posts, read 19,150,089 times
happiness and contentment and joy are not an age
they are being comfortable in your own skin

whatever you do that creates peace, harmony, and contentment in your life
is what is important, not how it looks or what others tell you

it's about being authentic and true to yourself, not trying to please someone else, or be who you think you "should be" or worrying about how it looks or what other people think. Those dont matter.

all that matters is you and your pleasure in your own life that you create and live each day

if you are happy and peaceful with the life you describe in the opening post, then so be it, enjoy!
if on the other hand you are tired and depressed and feel no energy and life has lost its sparkle, then it's time to make changes

Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,851,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
After work, I only want to stay at home, watching TV or surfing the web, I can take talking to friends or family every few days, maybe go out with friends every a few weeks. But for the most part, I just want to be left alone and do my own things at my own pace without having to take into consideration other people's position, feeling or ideas. The mere thought of going out for "night life" every day or even every other day makes me feel tired. Am I old or is my inner geek at work?
Not going out drinking is not because of age. It just means you matured far beyond what we did in our single twenties. My wife and I enjoy going out to eat but only once a week. Besides we have children who to take care of.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,087,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
After work, I only want to stay at home, watching TV or surfing the web, I can take talking to friends or family every few days, maybe go out with friends every a few weeks. But for the most part, I just want to be left alone and do my own things at my own pace without having to take into consideration other people's position, feeling or ideas. The mere thought of going out for "night life" every day or even every other day makes me feel tired. Am I old or is my inner geek at work?
Well, I respect the desire to live quietly, I really do. I don't think a quality life is a matter of frenetic activity.

That being said, life can be an incredibly rich and fulfilling experience in so many different ways. Spending every night bathed in the glow of the TV or the computer means you could be missing out on so much, experiences that don't require hitting the bars.

Maybe the solution is to step outside your comfort zone and find passions in life that energize you rather than drain you. After all, when you get to be 85, do you want to say that you spent your days watching TV?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,023,067 times
Yes, you are now old.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,527,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
happiness and contentment and joy are not an age
they are being comfortable in your own skin

whatever you do that creates peace, harmony, and contentment in your life
is what is important, not how it looks or what others tell you

it's about being authentic and true to yourself, not trying to please someone else, or be who you think you "should be" or worrying about how it looks or what other people think. Those dont matter.

all that matters is you and your pleasure in your own life that you create and live each day

if you are happy and peaceful with the life you describe in the opening post, then so be it, enjoy!
if on the other hand you are tired and depressed and feel no energy and life has lost its sparkle, then it's time to make changes
Nicely said.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,608,613 times
I prefer the word "mature"....

Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,527,539 times
I'm very fortunate to be able to work from home and I have a lot of free time. I go out once in a while and don't have to worry about being up early, but I love being at home.

This statement really hits home for me:

Quote:
But for the most part, I just want to be left alone and do my own things at my own pace without having to take into consideration other people's position, feeling or ideas.
I can totally relate. This was when I knew I was all grown up. And it sounds selfish, but it's reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships